The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Buy low on Pulijujarvi

If there was ever a time to buy low on this kid it could be now. Edmonton will be under a ton of pressure this year to succeed. He has been scratched 2 games in a row. One can wonder if reuniting him with a Joluevi might boost his confidence and give him a clean start. He could be had cheaper then one might think. Virtanen for Pulijujarvi could be worth considering...and I dont think that price is far off for Pulijujarvi at this point. Thoughts? 

Honestly, I wouldn't. Jake has proved he belongs in the NHL but, Puljujarvi really hasn't impressed anyone. With Jake we at least have a serviceable player. If Jesse can't produce offense he isn't going to do much else for a team.

23 minutes ago, sedinaliens2233 said:

I'd do Puljujarvi for Jake. He would be amazing on the wing with EP.  Oilers would want Juolevi... I'd be more reluctant to to that though.

Loui Eriksson for Poolparty.  Or nothing.  He sure can skate.  Smooooth.

I like the idea - but he's still only 20 & 1/2. I think he'll still cost more than most expect.

And Edmonton will want something that helps them now, but is cheap salary-wise. They won't deal him for a pick/future. I think OP is right - Virtanen is probably the ask. It would be a risk, but I'd consider it. Of course JV is better now, but JP still has more upside. 

Baer & Tanev(1 mill retained)  cap: about 6.8 mill AAV (until June 2020)

Poolparty & Sekeras.

Value is tough here. They get to turn Sekeras 5.5 mill(x3, & injured) into Tanev at 3.5(x 2 yrs).

Imagine we'd still have to add a pick..2nd..or 3rd???(attach performance conditions, & make the pick a 2020 one)

In this case, we'd let Edler walk at season's end. Risky, but I think Puljujarvi will bust out.

Dahlen - Petterson - Pulju

Virtanen - Horvat - Boeser

In a couple yrs, this could be deadly.

2 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

If there was ever a time to buy low on this kid it could be now. Edmonton will be under a ton of pressure this year to succeed. He has been scratched 2 games in a row. One can wonder if reuniting him with a Joluevi might boost his confidence and give him a clean start. He could be had cheaper then one might think. Virtanen for Pulijujarvi could be worth considering...and I dont think that price is far off for Pulijujarvi at this point. Thoughts? 

I like the idea of buying low... but if payment is Virtanen, I don't think it can be considered "buying low."

Puljujarvi for Leipsic + Gaunce? Edmonton would laugh at that proposal but that would be buying low.

What happened to Puljujarvi? He was hyped as someone equal to Laine at one point. I mean sure as the year went there was a clear separation but still it seemed like Puljujarvi was going to be an impact player that would have a career like Laine. 

31 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

What happened to Puljujarvi? He was hyped as someone equal to Laine at one point. I mean sure as the year went there was a clear separation but still it seemed like Puljujarvi was going to be an impact player that would have a career like Laine. 

Being drafted by Edmonton happened.

5 hours ago, sedinaliens2233 said:

I'd do Puljujarvi for Jake. He would be amazing on the wing with EP.  Oilers would want Juolevi... I'd be more reluctant to to that though.

They'll have to include a first for Juolevi.  Cost for passing on him and getting another forward.

6 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

Although I like the idea of acquiring Pulijujarvi, Edmonton would be best served to hang onto their asset. Send him down to the AHL so he can learn how to play the North American game away from the spot light of Edmonton; unless the team has so little faith in there player development department. In that case sell him for a bag of pucks, fire the lot of them and start over

He's kinda in the same boat that Jake was/is.  He has potential (which is why you want him) but hasn't realized that potential yet.  For the very little return he would get, it's better just to hang onto him, ride it out, and hope for the best.

Besides that, Chiarelli has been made to look silly for most of the trades he's done so far. I'm not sure his career could handle it if JP ended up excelling somewhere else.

Archived