The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Buy low on Pulijujarvi

I'm sure Benning has already been kicking tires on Puljujarvi as has many other GM's

You can bet that Chirelli would want a lot for the former 4th OA pick.  Top 4 D would be my guess but honestly, the Oilers need scoring wingers, would they give up on Poolparty?  I doubt it.  This is their way of getting more out of a young player.  He spent 10 games in Bakersfield last year

7 hours ago, sedinaliens2233 said:

I'd do Puljujarvi for Jake. He would be amazing on the wing with EP.  Oilers would want Juolevi... I'd be more reluctant to to that though.

He wasn't even average on the wing with McDavid.  No way the Nucks give up Juolevi.

7 hours ago, sedinaliens2233 said:

I'd do Puljujarvi for Jake. He would be amazing on the wing with EP.  Oilers would want Juolevi... I'd be more reluctant to to that though.

Why do you think he’d be

amazing on EP wing he’s not even good on mcdavid’s wing I prefer jake

A more accurate trade would be one of Tanev or Hutton plus a pick or B prospect such as Lind or Brisebois.  Oilers need defense, now AND later.  With 20 points last year and 1 single point this year and a whopping 1 point per every 4 games thus far in his career he would be, according to this board; worse than Virtanen based on his draft spot

Buying low on this kid would be a great idea.  Chia Pet is famous for making knee jerk moves and the Oilers even more famous for absolutely screwing up quality picks.

This would be the exact type of player you find a way to take a flyer on, someone with all the skill in the world; barely a full season stretched out over a few years under their belt and looking absolutely and completely lost.

It might mean taking back salary such as Kassian or Sekera or retaining salary on a Tanev; even adding a low to mid round pick.  But if there's a possibility to do this it has to be done.

The Oilers needs, defense.  Defensive quality forwards.

8 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

If there was ever a time to buy low on this kid it could be now. Edmonton will be under a ton of pressure this year to succeed. He has been scratched 2 games in a row. One can wonder if reuniting him with a Joluevi might boost his confidence and give him a clean start. He could be had cheaper then one might think. Virtanen for Pulijujarvi could be worth considering...and I dont think that price is far off for Pulijujarvi at this point. Thoughts? 

The thought of facing Jake on the same line as Mcdavid gives me nightmares. As high as Poolparty's ceiling is, I'd rather not do that deal 

3 minutes ago, TheRick said:

How is Bouchard doing?

not stellar apparently.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-stand-puljujarvi-kassian-bouchard/

For many of the same reasons we listed for Puljujarvi’s absence from Edmonton’s lineup, Evan Bouchard spent the weekend in the press box as well. The 19-year-old defenceman has played seven games, and can get up to nine before burning a year on his entry-level deal.

Like Puljujarvi, Bouchard has not been a plus player in any one game this season, despite being protected with offensive-zone starts against mostly third and fourth lines. It’s understandable for Bouchard, of course, as a younger player playing a more difficult position.

I have no idea what Puljiuarvi's potential may be but I can tell you he is not a very good NHL player right now. Some here have noted that he cannot even be successful playing with McDavid and, as someone who has watched every Oilers game this year, I can attest to that fact. 

Jessie's problem appears to be his inability to play the game at a high pace. His skating is okay but he is very slow in his decision making both with the puck and without the puck and that simply doesn't work in today's NHL.It seems he has not adjusted very well to the smaller North American ice where there is less time and space to do the same things that made you successful on the larger ice surfaces.

Until he shows signs of marked improvement I would be very reluctant to give up significant assets to acquire him. There is a reason he has been a healthy scratch for Edmonton's past 4 games (not 2) after only getting 1 point in their first 7 games.

seems like the coilers

are developing pool party into yakupov

and i would trade no asset for yakupov

can always sign pool party to a pto for training camp next season

if the oilers cut him

but i'm sure the oilers will manage to scrounge a 3rd or 4th round pick for him first

oilers are adept at doing that with high end 1st round draft picks

ps - people seem to overlook or forget that a % of 1st round picks fail

and because that is fact, it is not surprising that we actually see that happen

25 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I have no idea what Puljiuarvi's potential may be but I can tell you he is not a very good NHL player right now. Some here have noted that he cannot even be successful playing with McDavid and, as someone who has watched every Oilers game this year, I can attest to that fact. 

Jessie's problem appears to be his inability to play the game at a high pace. His skating is okay but he is very slow in his decision making both with the puck and without the puck and that simply doesn't work in today's NHL.It seems he has not adjusted very well to the smaller North American ice where there is less time and space to do the same things that made you successful on the larger ice surfaces.

Until he shows signs of marked improvement I would be very reluctant to give up significant assets to acquire him. There is a reason he has been a healthy scratch for Edmonton's past 4 games (not 2) after only getting 1 point in their first 7 games.

I haven't seen as many Oilers' games but I agree that Puljujarvi definitely seems to be a step behind and he has shown less progress than Virtanen.  Puljujarvi doesn't really play a physical game either despite his size which makes him even less effective.  At least Jake is a reasonably responsible bottom-6 winger who can play a physical game even if he's not putting up points.

If the Oilers are actually shopping Puljujarvi, then I agree with an earlier poster that they might want to acquire a defense prospect for him.  Can't see too many teams lining up to trade a top prospect though.  If I was in Canucks management, I would not think that we have the pieces to acquire Puljujarvi unless the Oilers were really looking to just unload him (e.g. for a B-level prospect).  From what I can see, the problems with Puljujarvi relate to play and not to character so I would hope the Oilers would give him more time to adjust.

if Jake Virtanen + Hutton could land us Puljujarvi and maybe take back kassian I would do it. Its worth the risk to land a player with potential top 6 skill. He might just be like Juolevi who was a bit overwhelmed and needed some time adjusting to the NA game to build confidence. 

Juolevi is doing well now down in Utica. 

Under good coaching in Utica Puljujarvi could find his game and hopefully develop some chemistry with Juolevi and Palmu 

Next year he would have a good chance at cracking our top 6

Archived