The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Buy low on Pulijujarvi

On 2018-10-31 at 2:11 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

You'd have to imagine Chia-pet demanding a higher price, from a div-rival?

100% agree.

They're not giving up Pulijujarvi for pennies on the dollar to nobody, let alone to a divisional rival.

If Pulijujarvi were ever made available in a deal, I'd have to think they'd want a young dman they'd have financial control over. With the contractual obigations they have now, young prospects on elc's make perfect sense for them.

Olli Juolevi and Quinn Hughes fit the bill, but I'm not giving up either. We've come too far with Olli to let him go now and he's starting to produce and Quinn is looking prime to be our premiere blue liner which is a priority to us.

The formula for us is still very basic. Draft, draft, draft.

2019, imo, will be our last priority draft. 2020 may be the first draft where we may start dealing draft picks to fill out our roster with the depth we need to, truly, start contending.

For now, we stay the course.

Even if Virtanen doesn't score bunches for us ever, he's still a player we can use down the road. Jesse is not the case. What I see in this thread:

1) People ignore the value Virtanen brings.

2) People ignore the value Virtanen can bring later on come when we are a playoff team.

3) People ignore the fact that Jesse is worth more than Virtanen.

4) People ignore that Jesse is a higher risk than Virtanen. He might not even look good on this team for all we know.

I get it. People are disappointed with Virtanen and want him traded for a player they have more faith in. But don't forget, it's all faith. Edmonton would run less risk in this trade and this is one of those trades that could SERIOUSLY bite us in the butt moreso than people realise.

On 10/31/2018 at 12:00 AM, Vanisleryan said:

If there was ever a time to buy low on this kid it could be now. Edmonton will be under a ton of pressure this year to succeed. He has been scratched 2 games in a row. One can wonder if reuniting him with a Joluevi might boost his confidence and give him a clean start. He could be had cheaper then one might think. Virtanen for Pulijujarvi could be worth considering...and I dont think that price is far off for Pulijujarvi at this point. Thoughts? 

I would not do Jake for Poolparty. Jake is starting to develop some unique skills. I would certainly try to get puli if we could use older assets such as what we have on D to get him. I doubt the coilers would take that though.

On 10/31/2018 at 4:26 AM, NHL'er said:

Would a deal around Nylander for Puljujarvi and Russell work?

No. It would take more than that to get wee willie I think. Puli is a good start but something significant would have to be added (assuming the coilers could negotiate an extension ahead of time).

Are the oilers even able to take on a large salary like nylander is demanding? I think not...so no deal to be made.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, J-P said:

I would love to see JP with the Canucks, but as in many other cases I don't think we really have the assets. Pouliot's not gonna cut it.

He would also require some time in the farm, but no problems with that from the Canucks timetable.

I would do Tanev for JP + a 2nd or something like that. I don't think Benning will though.

They valued Hall to Larsson and gave up Aberg (4 goals in 8 games including a highlight reel one) for nothing. It wouldn't shock me at all if JP is valued in the Pouliot range to be honest. With the way Hutton has been playing lately, I could see him being the return. We have Juolevi, Hughes and even Rathbone that will take care of the left side long term anyway.

On 2018-10-31 at 3:00 AM, Vanisleryan said:

If there was ever a time to buy low on this kid it could be now. Edmonton will be under a ton of pressure this year to succeed. He has been scratched 2 games in a row. One can wonder if reuniting him with a Joluevi might boost his confidence and give him a clean start. He could be had cheaper then one might think. Virtanen for Pulijujarvi could be worth considering...and I dont think that price is far off for Pulijujarvi at this point. Thoughts? 

If there’s a time and place to commit a Neely gaffe, it is with getting rid of Virtanen. That makes no sense.

17 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Tanev retained could get you Poolparty just saying.

Dhaliwal says his sources tell him that the Canucks are not at all interested in trading Tanev.  They see him playing with Hughes next year.  

Edmonton has always said that they are looking for an offensive D.  McKenzie says the D they really want (wanted) is Ryan Ellis.  Tanev is not that kind of D.

2 hours ago, mll said:

Dhaliwal says his sources tell him that the Canucks are not at all interested in trading Tanev.  They see him playing with Hughes next year.  

Edmonton has always said that they are looking for an offensive D.  McKenzie says the D they really want (wanted) is Ryan Ellis.  Tanev is not that kind of D.

I know what they’re rumoured to be wanting I just think it would benefit them more by getting a guy like Tanev. They’re not getting Ryan Ellis now so they got to expand their search. They’re not having trouble scoring goals but most of the games they’ve lost this year it was decided by 1 goal with the other team scoring 5+ goals. Tanev is one of the top shot suppressing dmen with other fantastic underlying numbers. This blue line is getting crowded and Tanev is getting hurt a lot! If you can pry Pulj away it could be huge for this franchise! 20 year old Pulj or soon to be 29 year old injury prone dman.

4 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I know what they’re rumoured to be wanting I just think it would benefit them more by getting a guy like Tanev. They’re not getting Ryan Ellis now so they got to expand their search. They’re not having trouble scoring goals but most of the games they’ve lost this year it was decided by 1 goal with the other team scoring 5+ goals. Tanev is one of the top shot suppressing dmen with other fantastic underlying numbers. This blue line is getting crowded and Tanev is getting hurt a lot! If you can pry Pulj

away it could be huge for this franchise! 20 year old Pulj or soon to be 29 year old injury prone dman.

Injury prone d-man.  Edmonton will know that.  The offers the Canucks have received for Tanev have apparently been laughable  - late round picks and B prospects.  Shannon says teams see him as a B option.  

Tanev's numbers are not good this year.  Green has given him and Edler all the tough assignments to shelter the other pairings.  

Also teams no longer defend by being strong in their own end but rather by being strong in transition and maintaining possession in the o-zone.  Teams talk of spending less time defending is the best form of defence.  More and more teams are thinking that way.  Montreal being the latest example - Julien was known for his strong defensive system and yet now he is playing attack to defend.   

MacLellan also believes one of the top-5 reasons  the Capitals finally won a Cup is because they had offensive Ds.  Rutherford before him said the same thing.  Those are the type of Ds teams will pay for and not Tanev.

25 minutes ago, mll said:

Injury prone d-man.  Edmonton will know that.  The offers the Canucks have received for Tanev have apparently been laughable  - late round picks and B prospects.  Shannon says teams see him as a B option.  

Tanev's numbers are not good this year.  Green has given him and Edler all the tough assignments to shelter the other pairings.  

Also teams no longer defend by being strong in their own end but rather by being strong in transition and maintaining possession in the o-zone.  Teams talk of spending less time defending is the best form of defence.  More and more teams are thinking that way.  Montreal being the latest example - Julien was known for his strong defensive system and yet now he is playing attack to defend.   

MacLellan also believes one of the top-5 reasons  the Capitals finally won a Cup is because they had offensive Ds.  Rutherford before him said the same thing.  Those are the type of Ds teams will pay for and not Tanev.

Chia is also the guy that traded Seguin a 20 year old former 2nd overall pick because the kid liked to party for a bunch of good pieces. Then since being in charge of the Oilers traded 16th overall (Barzal clear BPA at pick) and 33rd overall for downward trending Griffin Reinhardt who was left exposed two years later in the expansion draft. Then trades Hall for Larsson and Eberle for Strome! Chia is god awful at cutting bait from young players. Pulj is getting scratched every other game. I think he could be had and by Chia’s evaluation of talent it could be a steal for whoever he trades with in a couple years. Let’s be that team.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Chia is also the guy that traded Seguin a 20 year old former 2nd overall pick because the kid liked to party for a bunch of good pieces. Then since being in charge of the Oilers traded 16th overall (Barzal clear BPA at pick) and 33rd overall for downward trending Griffin Reinhardt who was left exposed two years later in the expansion draft. Then trades Hall for Larsson and Eberle for Strome! Chia is god awful at cutting bait from young players. Pulj is getting scratched every other game. I think he could be had and by Chia’s evaluation of talent it could be a steal for whoever he trades with in a couple years. Let’s be that team.

There is a belief that he no longer has sole power of decision - things probably now have to run through Bob Nicholson, his boss.  Dreger believes that the Oilers have learned their lesson and will be patient with him.

Fwiw Benning also had input in trading Seguin.  You can hear him talk about how they are not babysitters.  Florida doesn't look too smart either - that package for Reinhart was offered to Florida for Gudbranson and they passed.

As for Hall for Larsson I would also mock all the other teams in the league who passed on acquiring him.  He was offered to every team in the league for defensive help.  That was then the time to see if they were interested in Tanev.  

McKenzie thinks that they also were willing to move him because he was too big of a presence in the room.  They felt that with Hall around it would never be McDavid's team.  Btw Hall admitted that he had a serious approach adjustment under Hynes in NJD.  He said no coach made him as accountable as Hynes has and demanded as much from him.

It’s Chia-Pete we are dealing with, I would say Eriksson + Del Zotto would get it done :lol:

Jokes aside, not trading Jake for Poolparty. Jake had shown some offensive flair recently, but what he impresses me the most is his ability to back check and play well defensively this season. In the game against Colorado during OT, there was this one play that he was the last man back between Mackinnon and Marky and Mackinnon seems to have inside position of the puck and if he had the puck it would of been a breakaway for him to go one on one with Marky, but Jake was able to outmuscle him and get the puck from him and get it out of danger. There are many other instances that shown that he has mature a lot since his rookie season. In his rookie year, I remember him coughing up the puck in his own zone a lot but now he is actually one of the Canucks more responsible forwards. He also seems to start playing better offensively as well. I hope to continue to watch Jake’s development as a Canuck.

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

How in the world can you buy low on a 20 year old top prospect???????

We are talking dream lan here folks

Because we’re not talking about a 20 year old top prospect playing every game and producing. We’re talking about a 20 year old prospect who is being scratched every other game and playing 10-12 minutes the nights he does play. The points are very underwhelming but could be a direct cause to how they’re utilizing him. His trade capital has to be lower than it was last year.

8 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Because we’re not talking about a 20 year old top prospect playing every game and producing. We’re talking about a 20 year old prospect who is being scratched every other game and playing 10-12 minutes the nights he does play. The points are very underwhelming but could be a direct cause to how they’re utilizing him. His trade capital has to be lower than it was last year.

I like Puliarvi too, but would he get any more opportunities with us?  

Archived