The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Buy low on Pulijujarvi

13 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

Virtanen for Pulijujarvi could be worth considering...and I dont think that price is far off for Pulijujarvi at this point. Thoughts? 

Thought is that this could be a huge mistake.   If the Canucks are truly building towards being a competitive team as early as two years from now, they will hopefully be a playoff team then.   A player like Virtanen is of value during the season but can be invaluable in the playoffs.  More room for error on borderline hits, more emphasis on heavy play etc. 

JP is a talented player who has had his developed screwed up by an organization that has stalled as many young kids as they have grown - if he becomes a Canuck, i don't think it should be by giving the Oilers what could be their best playoff weapon not named McDavid.

I would love to see JP with the Canucks, but as in many other cases I don't think we really have the assets. Pouliot's not gonna cut it.

He would also require some time in the farm, but no problems with that from the Canucks timetable.

I would do Tanev for JP + a 2nd or something like that. I don't think Benning will though.

To play devil's advocate:

- McD might not be easy to play with. Seem to recall Hall/McD also lacking chemistry. Great to watch, but really carries the biscuit & flies past everyone!

- I like Pool's skating. Looks like a strong kid, that'll grow into a 215 lb force. He'll eventually be able to cycle with added skill, in O-zone

- I could see him blending beautifully with EP40, down the road. EP is the kind of gifted prodigy that brings out the best attributes in his linemates. I'd love to see size/skill alongside this gem C of ours.

Tanev & Baer are great/good, but oft-injured. Both assets only represent a 2nd r pick, in spent resources. Yet we wind up with TWO top-5 picks, from a couple yrs back.

Edm could certainly benefit more than us(short term) from such a deal..so we'd have to keep our big boy pants on(stay patient). 2~4 yrs on, this could be a major frackin'home run, if JP even hit 80% of his perceived ceiling.

Summary: Don't sell youth for such a deal(like Virt)..sell assets approaching prime. ACCEPT Edm likely benefits short term. Our young assets are lining up beautifully for the longer view.

9 hours ago, iinatcc said:

What happened to Puljujarvi? He was hyped as someone equal to Laine at one point. I mean sure as the year went there was a clear separation but still it seemed like Puljujarvi was going to be an impact player that would have a career like Laine. 

He wasn't able to adjust to the NHL style of hockey. Smaller rink, closer quarters and less time to react.

9 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Man, the kid don't turn drinkin age(in the USSA) 'til next May!

You're right. He's still got time to grow. He might just do that. But, from what I've seen so far is very little growth since being drafted. Who's to say that is going to change? 

8 minutes ago, Jaku said:

You're right. He's still got time to grow. He might just do that. But, from what I've seen so far is very little growth since being drafted. Who's to say that is going to change? 

I've seen goals where the kid bulls right thru(like Drai, it seems). Who is/ain't gonna break through with development, is certainly an inexact science. At this point, I imagine a lot of GM's would like to take a 2nd crack. Chia-pet will receive a lot of offers, to be sure.

Teams with cap? There aren't many left. NJ & NYI have recently robbed the Coilers blind. Carolina is certainly a team with space/resources(seem a good fit)

We've also got the resources, & the timing(at this juncture) seems to me, a good one to take this relative-risk.

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not stellar apparently.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-stand-puljujarvi-kassian-bouchard/

For many of the same reasons we listed for Puljujarvi’s absence from Edmonton’s lineup, Evan Bouchard spent the weekend in the press box as well. The 19-year-old defenceman has played seven games, and can get up to nine before burning a year on his entry-level deal.

Like Puljujarvi, Bouchard has not been a plus player in any one game this season, despite being protected with offensive-zone starts against mostly third and fourth lines. It’s understandable for Bouchard, of course, as a younger player playing a more difficult position.

How is Bouchard not back in Junior? The soilers are determined to ruin him, aren't they?

If JP is smart he demands a trade away from that dump before his career is ruined further.  Oilers aren't in a good situation given how many guys they've traded have gone on to out up great numbers once they're on actual NHL teams.  I say wait it out until they're desperate to do something like Pouliot for JP straight up.

If Puljujari were on the market more than half the league would be interested, Edmonton would prioritize not having Jesse playing in the same divison or even the same conference.

They can't afford to make another mistake that close to home .

3 hours ago, Jaku said:

He wasn't able to adjust to the NHL style of hockey. Smaller rink, closer quarters and less time to react.

But I thought the smaller rink issue tends to affect smaller skilled players more than the bigger players like Pulujiarvi

14 hours ago, iinatcc said:

What happened to Puljujarvi? He was hyped as someone equal to Laine at one point. I mean sure as the year went there was a clear separation but still it seemed like Puljujarvi was going to be an impact player that would have a career like Laine. 

The Oilers drafting him happened to him. 

Everyone comparing Puljujaarvi to Virtanen needs to remember that Puljujarvi needs to remember that Puljujarvi is 2 years younger than Virtanen. We are currently watching Virtanen with 4 years of development and Puljujarvi with 2. Keep that in mind, he's got a lot of room to grow still. 

I would easily give up a 2nd rounder for Puljujarvi, but it would likely take more to get him. The most I'd do is probably a 2nd plus one of Lind/Gadjovich/Brisebois/Sautner, whoever the Oilers prefer (likely Lind). Having Horvat - Pettersson - Gaudette down the middle flanked by Boeser - Puljujarvi - Virtanen would be pretty nice. 

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

To play devil's advocate:

- McD might not be easy to play with. Seem to recall Hall/McD also lacking chemistry. Great to watch, but really carries the biscuit & flies past everyone!

- I like Pool's skating. Looks like a strong kid, that'll grow into a 215 lb force. He'll eventually be able to cycle with added skill, in O-zone

- I could see him blending beautifully with EP40, down the road. EP is the kind of gifted prodigy that brings out the best attributes in his linemates. I'd love to see size/skill alongside this gem C of ours.

Tanev & Baer are great/good, but oft-injured. Both assets only represent a 2nd r pick, in spent resources. Yet we wind up with TWO top-5 picks, from a couple yrs back.

Edm could certainly benefit more than us(short term) from such a deal..so we'd have to keep our big boy pants on(stay patient). 2~4 yrs on, this could be a major frackin'home run, if JP even hit 80% of his perceived ceiling.

Summary: Don't sell youth for such a deal(like Virt)..sell assets approaching prime. ACCEPT Edm likely benefits short term. Our young assets are lining up beautifully for the longer view.

Sorry not buying that he’s a hard player to play with, he’s a puck magnet yes but he is very good at getting his teammate involved in the play

59 minutes ago, BPA said:

Puljujarvi and Bouchard for Pouliet and MDZ.

Van gets project and prospect.

EDM get NHL defenceman.

lol, Botchford said both Pouliot and MDZ are guys who would have gotten a PTO or one year minimum contract if they were FA's this season so I doubt Vancouver can get Bouchard alone giving away these two players.

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

lol, Botchford said both Pouliot and MDZ are guys who would have gotten a PTO or one year minimum contract if they were FA's this season so I doubt Vancouver can get Bouchard alone giving away these two players.

It's Edmonton. 

They traded Hall for Larson.

::D

Archived