The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sens place G Condon on waivers after rough night

TheRick

https://www.tsn.ca/sens-place-g-condon-on-waivers-after-rough-night-1.1201505

This is real low blow for Condon!

The Ottawa Senators have placed struggling goalie Michael Condon on waivers, according to multiple reports. 

Condon is coming off a 5-1 loss to the Arizona Coyotes on Tuesday, highlighted by allowing a shorthanded goal to Derek Stepan from the opposing blueline.

The American was pulled from the game by head coach Guy Boucher following the goal.

“I had to do something,” said Boucher after the game. “He’s a hard-working guy. He’s a good person. It’s tough for a coach to pull a goalie out. The team needed it. We needed something.”

Boucher went on to explain the rough night wasn’t entirely Condon’s fault.

“We got out-competed in the first period,” he said. “That doesn’t usually happen. That’s the one thing we’ve had from the beginning. Our compete level wasn’t there at all in the first period and after that, it was an uphill battle.”

The 28-year-old is 0-2 on the season with a 6.38 goals-against average and 0.800 save percentage. Condon is in his third season with the Sens.

Canucks goaltending it is very injured right now. I think we should pick him up, so he backs up Markstrom for 2 weeks until Nilsson comes back. That way, we can send Bachman back to Utica, where he can help out Kubakov until Demko comes back from concussion. Since Bachman is mostly sitting in the press-box anyways, we can pick up Condon and let him sit in the press-box instead. Once every one of our goaltender is healthy, we can put Condon back on waivers and the Senators can pick him up again and throw him back in their AHL club.

25 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Canucks goaltending it is very injured right now. I think we should pick him up, so he backs up Markstrom for 2 weeks until Nilsson comes back. That way, we can send Bachman back to Utica, where he can help out Kubakov until Demko comes back from concussion. Since Bachman is mostly sitting in the press-box anyways, we can pick up Condon and let him sit in the press-box instead. Once every one of our goaltender is healthy, we can put Condon back on waivers and the Senators can pick him up again and throw him back in their AHL club.

Seems like a waste of a waiver pick up. Why drop in the waiver order just to not play the guy for a couple weeks, then waive him themselves? Rather just stick with Bachman, tbh, even if it comes at the unfortunate cost of Utica's success for roughly 14 days.

1 minute ago, Cramarossa said:

Seems like a waste of a waiver pick up. Why drop in the waiver order just to not play the guy for a couple weeks, then waive him themselves? Rather just stick with Bachman, tbh, even if it comes at the unfortunate cost of Utica's success for roughly 14 days.

You don't drop in the waiver order when you place a claim - it's always based on league standings. (last year until Nov 1, then current season for the remainder of year)

Not sure what the Sen's goalie situation is - were they carrying 3 goalies?  Not necessarily a good look to waive the guy right away after what must have been a terribly embarassing night for him but he certainly had not been playing well.  I guess they'll call up McKenna?

I assume Condon will be assigned to Belleville?  Hopefully he can right the ship.  It must be hard to live down something that will be on highlight reels for a long time.

46 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

He is great tank ammo. I'm all for it!

Archived