The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

‘This is not going to be won militarily’: Top US commander in Afghanistan reveals pessimism

Ryan Strome

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

How do you inch the defence budget closer to a Trillion dollars if you're the US defence department?  You fearmonger and tell people that you can't win a war against two other world powers. 

Nevermind the fact that Russia has repeatedly said for decades that an attack against it would result in immediately launching nuclear missiles which of course would end the world as we know it. 

Ignore the fact that China is at about 20 years away from equaling the US military where it is now let alone where it will be in a couple of decades. 

Nevermind that the Navy complained to Congress that it was sending them so many warships that they didn't have the proper manpower needed for them.

The money wasters at the Pentagon eventually need that phat 13 digit budget!  They don't specifically say a trillion, but that's where they eventually want it to go.  Feed us more or we will lose to the combined forces of Haiti and the Dominican Republic.... wait they don't like each other?  Ok, we'll lose to those mighty Cubans?  Huh, their vehicles are still from the 50's and 60's?  Ok, Ok, we've got it....  Those warmongering Canadians!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-military-crisis-could-lose-war-russia-china-report-n936431

I think the US was at or near a trillion dollars a year under Ronald Reagan. The plan was to bankrupt the Soviet Union through an arms race. Now US military spending is insane and they way out spend the Russians and Chinese and clearly Russia won't bankrupt themselves again in an arms race. Like you say any US attack on Russia would likely end the world with each other nuking each other and the world.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

How do you inch the defence budget closer to a Trillion dollars if you're the US defence department?  You fearmonger and tell people that you can't win a war against two other world powers. 

Nevermind the fact that Russia has repeatedly said for decades that an attack against it would result in immediately launching nuclear missiles which of course would end the world as we know it. 

Ignore the fact that China is at about 20 years away from equaling the US military where it is now let alone where it will be in a couple of decades. 

Nevermind that the Navy complained to Congress that it was sending them so many warships that they didn't have the proper manpower needed for them.

The money wasters at the Pentagon eventually need that phat 13 digit budget!  They don't specifically say a trillion, but that's where they eventually want it to go.  Feed us more or we will lose to the combined forces of Haiti and the Dominican Republic.... wait they don't like each other?  Ok, we'll lose to those mighty Cubans?  Huh, their vehicles are still from the 50's and 60's?  Ok, Ok, we've got it....  Those warmongering Canadians!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-military-crisis-could-lose-war-russia-china-report-n936431

Fear mongering is always tied to money, works for military, government, television, pharmaceuticals etc.

Communism, Ebola, Y2K, terrorism, influenza, China, chemical attacks, criminals, immigrants, cartels etc.

47 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think the US was at or near a trillion dollars a year under Ronald Reagan. The plan was to bankrupt the Soviet Union through an arms race. Now US military spending is insane and they way out spend the Russians and Chinese and clearly Russia won't bankrupt themselves again in an arms race. Like you say any US attack on Russia would likely end the world with each other nuking each other and the world.

It's what's irritating me to no end.  The navy has more boats than they know what to do with and the Air Force has an insane amount of aircraft piloted by the best trained pilots in the world.  The Marines go in as "point of the spear", and the Army bum rushes in after with the heavy equipment like tanks and artillery and they both already have more weapons and ammunition than any other country. 

Where in the h*ll would more untold billions more go?  Into the pockets of the companies who will then hire the military brass after they retire from the armed forces to highly paid cushy jobs all because they said what they needed to in order to turn up the money spigot.

Even Drumpf recognizes how bloated their budget is and recently called for a reduction after having given them more in the previous budget.

44 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Fear mongering is always tied to money, works for military, government, television, pharmaceuticals etc.

Communism, Ebola, Y2K, terrorism, influenza, China, chemical attacks, criminals, immigrants, cartels etc.

As always people will continue to be ignorant of the facts and just take these people at their words.  Especially if Drumpf does an about face and decides to increase their budget again after calling for a slight dip.

The same week that the Pentagon asks for more money, they fail an audit they were ordered to do almost 30 years ago but didn't get around to doing until last year.

Their response?

"We failed the audit, but we never expected to pass it."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pentagon-says-it-failed-its-first-massive-audit-it-expected-n936901

I was having a hard time deciding where to post this....since 9/11 was a major impetus for increased Air Marshal presence, I thought I'd post it here:

https://www.propublica.org/article/tsa-releases-data-on-air-marshal-misconduct-7-years-after-we-asked

• 250 air marshals have been terminated for misconduct; another 400 resigned or retired while facing investigation.
  • Air marshals have been suspended more than 900 times, resulting in more than 4,600 days lost to misconduct.
  • The Washington field office had the most incidents with 530 cases, followed by New York with 471, Chicago and Dallas with 373 each and Los Angeles with 363. There were 85 cases at air marshal headquarters, highlighting that in some cases, misconduct has extended to the top brass.

I could look it up, I suppose, but I honestly can't think of a single report of an Air Marshal preventing a terrorist attack. So do we really need these guys?

Archived