The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Lightning re-sign Yanni Gourde

19 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

wow I dont think this is a good signing. wonder if Yzerman is making the calls he would have done the same. 

64 pts last year and 1PPG so far, outscoring Stamkos and equal to Kucherov.  Also UFA at the end of the year.   I think this a good signing.  Yes, he came out of no where, but I don't think he's a fluke either.  Lots of similarity with Marty St-Louis (Similarities, not the same player)

I'd take him and his 5.1M over Baertschi and his 3.3M$ any day.

What's going to happen at the end of the season when Point is RFA?  He's got to be worth Gourde's contract or more since he's not even close to his prime yet at only age 22.

Looks like they could re-sign Point and keep the forward group mostly together but their defense will have to be completely overhauled as they've got 4 UFA's on defense.  Maybe there was something to all those rumors of Johnson for a younger/cheaper defenceman after all? 

OK, now the Lightning have around $72.5 million committed to 14 players next year according to Capfriendly. 

They have to sign Point and most of their D contracts expire after this season.

They also have a ton of NMCs.  The only significant salary they can easily move is Kucherov or J.T. Miller

Yikes.

Considering his production level, this is a steal. Yes, they have cap issues, but I think every team in the NHL would rather have an issue with trying to pay several PPG players money (which they can also move for futures) than pay 33 year old forwards, who have 4 points in 14 games, $6M per year.

Tampa’s cap problems is a luxury, due to great drafting, great signings, and terrific development.

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

What's going to happen at the end of the season when Point is RFA?  He's got to be worth Gourde's contract or more since he's not even close to his prime yet at only age 22.

Looks like they could re-sign Point and keep the forward group mostly together but their defense will have to be completely overhauled as they've got 4 UFA's on defense.  Maybe there was something to all those rumors of Johnson for a younger/cheaper defenceman after all? 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

OK, now the Lightning have around $72.5 million committed to 14 players next year according to Capfriendly. 

They have to sign Point and most of their D contracts expire after this season.

They also have a ton of NMCs.  The only significant salary they can easily move is Kucherov or J.T. Miller

Yikes.

I'd think Point would have to command 7ish Million next summer. It's going to be hard for them to stay under cap. They might have to pay a rebuilding team some high draft picks to take Callahan 

1 minute ago, MattJVD said:

I'd think Point would have to command 7ish Million next summer. It's going to be hard for them to stay under cap. They might have to pay a rebuilding team some high draft picks to take Callahan 

I think Callahan has a complete No Movement Clause, doesn't he?  They might be stuck with him.  

3 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Starting this season, Callahan's full NMC changes to an NMC/M-NTC. he can submit a 16 team no trade list.

In this circumstance, does the player submit their list prior to the team getting a trade in place?  I wonder if he would put all the playoff teams on his list, and (that way) screw-over the Lightening?  

Just now, Alflives said:

In this circumstance, does the player submit their list prior to the team getting a trade in place?  I wonder if he would put all the playoff teams on his list, and (that way) screw-over the Lightening?  

I’m guessing he would submit his list at the beginning of the season.

Tampa isn't really in much trouble. Rangers will happily take back Callahan, with some sweeteners. And they have other players who could be traded for futures.

Gourde's rise to success is amazing. Destroyed the Q, but could only get an AHL contract. Then struggled in the AHL for a bit, and even spent some time in the ECHL. When he gets back to the AHL the following year, suddenly he gets it, is a PPG, Tampa signs him, and just lets him dominate in the AHL for a while. Then when he's fully primed, they unleash him in the NHL, and there's no looking back.

13 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Tampa isn't really in much trouble. Rangers will happily take back Callahan, with some sweeteners. And they have other players who could be traded for futures.

Gourde's rise to success is amazing. Destroyed the Q, but could only get an AHL contract. Then struggled in the AHL for a bit, and even spent some time in the ECHL. When he gets back to the AHL the following year, suddenly he gets it, is a PPG, Tampa signs him, and just lets him dominate in the AHL for a while. Then when he's fully primed, they unleash him in the NHL, and there's no looking back.

You Don't think so? They have 72 Mil committed for next season already. 3 of their top 6 Ds are UFAs and Point is an RFA, not a lot of money left for those 4.

Archived