The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Lightning re-sign Yanni Gourde

54 minutes ago, Monty said:

Considering his production level, this is a steal. Yes, they have cap issues, but I think every team in the NHL would rather have an issue with trying to pay several PPG players money (which they can also move for futures) than pay 33 year old forwards, who have 4 points in 14 games, $6M per year.

Tampa’s cap problems is a luxury, due to great drafting, great signings, and terrific development.

And because of that drafting/development, if they have to move out any of their $$, PPG players, can likely replace them from within.

1 minute ago, MattJVD said:

You Don't think so? They have 72 Mil committed for next season already. 3 of their top 6 Ds are UFAs and Point is an RFA, not a lot of money left for those 4.

They'll probably let 2 of the 3 Ds walk, and promote from within (2 of Cernak, Masin, and Foote). Stralman is the only big loss. I suspect Girardi will stay, because he may take a paycut to.

Callahan only has one year left at $5.8 million. NYR will take that for a pick/prospect - they need the leadership anyway. Then maybe they trade a guy with some value, like a Miller, Palat, etc, to get some futures. Then fill those spots from within, and maybe do it again the following year (Stephens, Volkov, Katchouk, Raddysh, Tammela, Somppi, Yan, Barré-Boulet...lots of talented guys coming up).

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Tampa isn't really in much trouble. Rangers will happily take back Callahan, with some sweeteners. And they have other players who could be traded for futures.

Gourde's rise to success is amazing. Destroyed the Q, but could only get an AHL contract. Then struggled in the AHL for a bit, and even spent some time in the ECHL. When he gets back to the AHL the following year, suddenly he gets it, is a PPG, Tampa signs him, and just lets him dominate in the AHL for a while. Then when he's fully primed, they unleash him in the NHL, and there's no looking back.

Please explain your math to us.

The general word is that the cap stays pretty flat and maybe a couple million in escalator clause.

$72.5 million committed for 14 guys

$7 million give or take a little for Point.

That is $79.5 million for 15 players.  Assuming an $82 million cap, they need 8 more players with only $2.5 million, including a bunch of D who are more expensive than forwards.

Callahan has significant control over where he goes, and he may well not want to go back to a rebuilding Rangers team.  Even if  he can get moved, they still only have just over $8 million for 9 players.  Getting one top 4 D takes around half of that.

Almost all their big ticket salaries have some sort of NMC or NTC which makes finding deals really hard.

They may have to get rid of a great young talent and get a haul of cheap prospects and picks for him.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Please explain your math to us.

The general word is that the cap stays pretty flat and maybe a couple million in escalator clause.

$72.5 million committed for 14 guys

$7 million five or take a little for Point.

That is $79.5 million for 15 players.  Assuming an $82 million cap, they need 8 more players with only $2.5 million, including a bunch of D who are more expensive than forwards.

Callahan has significant control over where he goes, and he may well not want to go back to a rebuilding Rangers team.  Even if  he can get moved, they still only have just over $8 million for 9 players.  Getting one top 4 D takes around half of that.

Almost all their big ticket salaries have some sort of NMC or NTC which makes finding deals really hard.

They may have to get rid of a great young talent and get a haul of cheap prospects and picks for him.

Just explained above. Tampa staggered their NTCs brilliantly. Guys with full NTCs become LNTCs when other guys are up.

It won’t be hard to move their good players. One will almost certainly go in the next expansion draft.

19 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Just explained above. Tampa staggered their NTCs brilliantly. Guys with full NTCs become LNTCs when other guys are up.

It won’t be hard to move their good players. One will almost certainly go in the next expansion draft.

Except your math still doesn’t work.

If you can get rid of Callahan and Miller (which isn’t as easy as you suggest)... you still just have $13.5 million to fill 10 roster spots.  You also need $1-2 million space for short term injury call ups.

If everything worked out to your plan... they still have to somehow fill almost half their roster with close to minimum salary $1 million guys.

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except your math still doesn’t work.

If you can get rid of Callahan and Miller (which isn’t as easy as you suggest)... you still just have $13.5 million to fill 10 roster spots.  You also need $1-2 million space for short term injury call ups.

If everything worked out to your plan... they still have to somehow fill almost half their roster with close to minimum salary $1 million guys.

Why is this a problem?

Right now, 10/23 of Tampa’s current roster makes $1 million or less. Seems to be working out OK for them.

Certainly earned his way to the NHL - and then broke out into big money.

But one year of NHL production - earning players 30 million deals....

When playing with guys like Stamkos, Point, Johnson, Palat.....

Had pretty solid underlying numbers - possesion/shot and goal metrics - suppose if he remains with that group they may expect him to sustain those kind of numbers - but at the same time it's hard not to recall the one hit wonders of the past.

14 hours ago, timberz21 said:

64 pts last year and 1PPG so far, outscoring Stamkos and equal to Kucherov.  Also UFA at the end of the year.   I think this a good signing.  Yes, he came out of no where, but I don't think he's a fluke either.  Lots of similarity with Marty St-Louis (Similarities, not the same player)

I'd take him and his 5.1M over Baertschi and his 3.3M$ any day.

How they heck does Tampa keep signing these players for such a relatively cheap amount anyways?

Stamkos, Kucherov, Johnson, Hedman and now Gourde. 

All signed with good value

17 hours ago, Monty said:

Considering his production level, this is a steal. Yes, they have cap issues, but I think every team in the NHL would rather have an issue with trying to pay several PPG players money (which they can also move for futures) than pay 33 year old forwards, who have 4 points in 14 games, $6M per year.

Tampa’s cap problems is a luxury, due to great drafting, great signings, and terrific development.

Everything needs to be a shot at Vancouver. Must frequent Sportsnet a lot. 

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Just a shot for the sake of a shot I guess. Oh wells. 

Some people were slighting the Bolts  for spending $5.1M on a PPG player. I provided one comparable. Pretty standard.

It’s a phenomenal contract. And the majority of my post was in regards to that, as well as why their cap problems is hardly a problem, when they can just replace those players (like Point if they lose him) for another cheap up and comer (ie: Volkov, Boulet). Spending money on producing players is great. Spending it on UFAs on the backend of their career is not.

There’s also nothing wrong with slighting the Eriksson contract. It’s awful.

On 11/2/2018 at 6:27 PM, oldnews said:

Certainly earned his way to the NHL - and then broke out into big money.

But one year of NHL production - earning players 30 million deals....

When playing with guys like Stamkos, Point, Johnson, Palat.....

Had pretty solid underlying numbers - possesion/shot and goal metrics - suppose if he remains with that group they may expect him to sustain those kind of numbers - but at the same time it's hard not to recall the one hit wonders of the past.

Cory Conacher comes to mind. Same size, same team, undrafted, put up almost a ppg in his first season and then fell off a cliff. Became a 13th forward and then a 15th forward. 

I should get a job as the Canucks ECHL scout. Will work for free.

Joking aside good for Gourde - he is now Alex Burrows #2 and has carved himself out a solid pro career. Just imagine what it is like earning $700 per week in the ECHL to signing a $31 million dollar contract. 

On 11/19/2013 at 9:39 PM, canucklehead44 said:

An undersized, undrafted 21 year old named Yanni Gourde is leading Kalamazoo in scoring with 13 points in 9 games (Kalamazoo's third highest scorer has 5 points). I know Kalamazoo doesn't really get any mention as players in the ECHL are long shots but this guy peaked my interest.

He won the QMJHL scoring title as well as player of the year as an over-ager. It makes me wonder whether he will get a shot with the Comets sometime soon?

I know he is tiny but his numbers so far look impressive and as an AHL rookie he found himself in 3 fights so he isn't super soft either. A potential Nathan Gerbe type player? Is anyone familiar with him?

Archived