whcanuck

Pavel Bure '92-'93 vs. '93-'94

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Bure hit 50+ goals 3 times in Vancouver, hitting 60 on the dot in '92-'93 and '93-'94. The 1993-94 season is generally considered his peak in Vancouver since he followed that regular season up with an incredible playoff performance scoring 16 goals and 31 points. I was only in first grade back then, still a Canucks fan but not following the team as closely as those in BC likely were, (I'm from Saskatchewan originally)  and it's my understanding that he had a bit of a slower start to that season and then absolutely blew the doors off in the second half...scoring nearly a goal a game. 

 

But in 1992-93, his second year, it seems like he had an amazing start and was on pace for 70+ goals at one point, but went through a significant dry spell in the second half of the year, halting what could have been his finest regular season in the NHL. Also, between those two years, I noticed he switched helmets between the old style CCM and the Cooper and he seemed to look different on the ice, he looked bigger and stronger in 1993-94, playing a bit of a heavier/more physical game whereas in '92-'93 he looked as though he was playing with a bit more finesse and not as much grit. Maybe I'm way off the mark, but could you guys shed some light on those two years...who his linemates were, why the hot start/cold finish and cold start/hot finish to the seasons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe he juiced?

 

Anyways best part of EP40's arrival is forgetting about Bure. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Confused 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're really testing my memory here.  What I really remember is that he just had no chemistry on the ice with Linden (at least in the regular season).

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Gino was a huge part of Bure's attitude transformation in '94 to the take-no-crap style. To my recollection, he played less than half the season with 93-94 with Gino, just created a lot of memories in that short span. I believe he was mostly playing with Murray Craven and Greg Adams in 93-94?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

You're really testing my memory here.  What I really remember is that he just had no chemistry on the ice with Linden.

Problem was it NEVER seemed our other BIG GUN - Mogilny (yes, we did have him pretty much in his prime as well) never seemed to be healthy when Bure was healthy & visa versa.

 

Yes, those two didn't have alot of chemistry together but think about it.  Having not just one but TWO legitimate elite snipers (one on each scoring line).  You couldn't just put out your best defensive forwards against our #1 line because we had a legit elite scoring threat on the other line.

 

I think that had an impact (though it's a testament to their talent, they still were able to put up points on the board).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EmilyM said:

I think Gino was a huge part of Bure's attitude transformation in '94 to the take-no-crap style. To my recollection, he played less than half the season with 93-94 with Gino, just created a lot of memories in that short span. I believe he was mostly playing with Murray Craven and Greg Adams in 93-94?

The playoff line was Adams-Linden-Bure.

Regular season was more disjointed but most of the time he was with Adams.

They worked really well together

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Quinn and the organization told the Russian Hockey Federation to go take a hike, Larionov would've stayed with the Canucks. Had Larionov stayed, Bure, I feel, would have had a slight chance at breaking Gretzky's record of 92 goals, set in '81-'82. Those two had beautiful chemistry together. Also, Larionov would have been a great personal influence on The Russian Rocket.

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

If Quinn and the organization told the Russian Hockey Federation to go take a hike, Larionov would've stayed with the Canucks. Had Larionov stayed, Bure, I feel, would have had a slight chance at breaking Gretzky's record of 92 goals, set in '81-'82. Those two had beautiful chemistry together. Also, Larionov would have been a great personal influence on The Russian Rocket.

 

Imagine if Larionov had stayed and Reinhart hadn't suffered a career ending injury.  That already gets us over the hump in the 94 Final.

 

And NOW think if we'd kept Neely.  And if Nedved hadn't walked as a free agent.  And we'd kept Lidster (went on to win 2 Cups, including with the Rangers against us) instead of trading him for Vanbiesbrouck to keep our backup in the expansion draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

 

Imagine if Larionov had stayed and Reinhart hadn't suffered a career ending injury.  That already gets us over the hump in the 94 Final.

 

And NOW think if we'd kept Neely.  And if Nedved hadn't walked as a free agent.  And we'd kept Lidster (went on to win 2 Cups, including with the Rangers against us) instead of trading him for Vanbiesbrouck to keep our backup in the expansion draft.

I'd argue Nedved to St Louis was a key to the 94 run.  Brown was amazing in the playoffs... he  generated  a ton of offence from the  back end.  Heck, he was the one that sent Bure in for the breakaway against the Flames in  Game 7 of Round 1. Without Brown, I have my doubts on whether the Canucks would have made the finals.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Maybe he juiced?

 

Anyways best part of EP40's arrival is forgetting about Bure. 

Nobody should ever forget about Bure 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I'd argue Nedved to St Louis was a key to the 94 run.  Brown was amazing in the playoffs... he  generated  a ton of offence from the  back end.  Heck, he was the one that sent Bure in for the breakaway against the Flames in  Game 7 of Round 1. Without Brown, I have my doubts on whether the Canucks would have made the finals.

 

Hmmm, yeah it was pretty roundabout and indirect, but losing Nedved did end up in us acquiring Brown and others.  I'll take that one back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was and am a huge Bure fan. He was so skilled. But I'd be willing to bet he was juiced up. And quite frankly, he was so much what Vancouver needed that I don't even care if he was.

What makes me think he was? First, do some research on his dad and it's not a huge stretch. He's from Russia, a country that was recently banned from the Olympics.

He was massive and soooo much faster than anyone. He showed occasional signs of roid rage.... see elbow / Dallas 94 series. Linden, one of the most honest people out there, was always distant from Bure, like he knew something about him that we didn't. He didn't even come to Bure's jersey retirement. And Bure's knees blew out on him early, not uncommon for roid users. 

I can understand fans coming to his defense, and like I say, I'm a massive fan who actually doesn't even mind if he did take banned substances. He was what this team needed and was the most exciting player to watch.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

94 bure 60 goals in 76 games.  Thats insane followed by 50 goals in 98 at the start of the dead puck era.  scored 58 and 59 goals in Florida while playing with average centermans.  He never once in his career had a legit number 1 centreman.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2018 at 4:06 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

 

Imagine if Larionov had stayed and Reinhart hadn't suffered a career ending injury.  That already gets us over the hump in the 94 Final.

 

And NOW think if we'd kept Neely.  And if Nedved hadn't walked as a free agent.  And we'd kept Lidster (went on to win 2 Cups, including with the Rangers against us) instead of trading him for Vanbiesbrouck to keep our backup in the expansion draft.

And drafted Sakic...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎04 at 4:31 AM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

94 bure 60 goals in 76 games.  Thats insane followed by 50 goals in 98 at the start of the dead puck era.  scored 58 and 59 goals in Florida while playing with average centermans.  He never once in his career had a legit number 1 centreman.   

This is very true and I don't think there was anyone on the team that could think the game as fast as he did. He did almost everything at full speed. I also have never seen a player have so many breakaways in a game as he did. He seemed to always have a couple per game. 

His game in the beginning though did not involve a lot of defense and this probably had a lot to do with the dry spell as they were trying I think to get him to play more defensively and he actually started passing to his team mates when Gino was put on his line. Gino actually produced offensively that year.

I don't think he was happy with the organization as well(I read somewhere) and I think he was looking to be traded around that time but the team would not oblige.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:36 AM, Slegr said:

I was and am a huge Bure fan. He was so skilled. But I'd be willing to bet he was juiced up. And quite frankly, he was so much what Vancouver needed that I don't even care if he was.

What makes me think he was? First, do some research on his dad and it's not a huge stretch. He's from Russia, a country that was recently banned from the Olympics.

He was massive and soooo much faster than anyone. He showed occasional signs of roid rage.... see elbow / Dallas 94 series. Linden, one of the most honest people out there, was always distant from Bure, like he knew something about him that we didn't. He didn't even come to Bure's jersey retirement. And Bure's knees blew out on him early, not uncommon for roid users. 

I can understand fans coming to his defense, and like I say, I'm a massive fan who actually doesn't even mind if he did take banned substances. He was what this team needed and was the most exciting player to watch.

 

I think that may be a bit of a stretch. His initial knee injury I believe happened because he was hauled down forechecking and he slammed into the end boards awkwardly. As well, some of his chronic knee issues may have been because he was an ankle taper. There's been some stuff written about this (sorry, can't be arsed to look for it) but a couple of other notable ankle tapers who went on to have chronic knee issues (possibly as a result) were Bobby Orr and good old West Van Gaborik.  

Edited by hlinkas wrister

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I don't think he was happy with the organization as well(I read somewhere) and I think he was looking to be traded around that time but the team would not oblige.

The team reneged on a guaranteed signing bonus, prorating it to 48/84 for the lockout year. (They were playing an 84 game schedule for a few years)  Cost Bure in excess of $1 million.  He was a malcontent forever after

 

 

Edited by Googlie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2018 at 11:36 PM, Slegr said:

Linden, one of the most honest people out there, was always distant from Bure, like he knew something about him that we didn't. He didn't even come to Bure's jersey retirement.

Quite the conclusion to jump to.  Linden was on a business trip abroad that had been set up before the date of the ceremony had been announced.

 

There is a whole thread devoted to this:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2018 at 1:56 PM, Tre Mac said:

Maybe he juiced?

 

Anyways best part of EP40's arrival is forgetting about Bure. 

Yea... I know he's retired and one of the GOATs of the game, but end of the day he chose money over Vancouver and I don't respect Pavel for that.

 

I'd play for league minimum to stay here. Then again Pavel didn't grow up here and bleed blue like I have.

 

Elias > Sliced Bread > Pavel > Connor McBust

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:06 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

Imagine if Larionov had stayed and Reinhart hadn't suffered a career ending injury.  That already gets us over the hump in the 94 Final.

Not having Gregson as the referee for game 7 too. That series was even more controversial than 2010.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.