The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Protecting our stars (Poll)

vannuck59

Do we need to protect our Stars  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, dirty Avs are still dirty Avs. ...that's what I took away from watching them play last night.  But it hasn't resulted in a "win" for them in two important games. so, perhaps, they need to change their thinking/ways?   Rather than teams adjusting to theirs?

Colorado probably still remember that MacKinnon missed over 2 weeks last season with an upper body injury after a hit by Edler.

19 minutes ago, Darius said:

Could be ... it would also be nice if the friggen Refs did their job. Petterson gets mauled no call. Baer no call. Stecher no call. Brock no call. Ref standing nearby doesn’t call anything. 

Im worried for pettersson. Look at all the attention he is starting to generate. How long before he is the primary focus of rats and pukes? 

Relying on incompetent reffing and the good will of the other team isn’t gonna help. 

Me too.  We're already seeing it and the kid's suffered a concussion.

So, let it be noted and documented that they have a responsibility to take charge in this.  Or...another "incident" like in the past?   Idiots fooled us once but we weren't fooled so better not happen again.

Honestly, this league is the beneficiary of the buzz he's creating...he's not just our asset, he's theirs.  So they'd better protect him.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Tryamkin is the answer to this question. Bring back grooot!

Tryamkin is not only a player that doesnt want to play that role in Vancouver , he is also not sure he wants to play in Vancouver at all. Doesnt sound like the answer to me.  

Just now, canuckleheads fan said:

One reason Tryamkin left was because he didn't want to be that guy! Canucks brass was trying to mold him into Chara, but Tryamkin sees himself as more of a Lady Bing type player.

we need to forget about Tryamkin solving any issues, he's not going to be the guy initiating payback plays even if he was here, which I don't think he ever will be tbh. 

the team has clearly chosen a style of response, a lot of us don't like it but its clearly a team commitment to play hard enough to win no matter what and not take bad calls, because there are enough phantom ones and dives for the refs to call anyway. Our guys get to ride the high from this heading into Detroit on tuesday and the AVs get to limp home beaten. I would have loved to see a response on the Boeser hit, but he seemed to be pretty stoked about the win. 

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

Hey I want to rant at JB and Green about protecting our players, stars . So far I don't see any change. Boeser cross check , Motte cross check . When are we going to abuse teams that step over the line.

To be fair the team is playing physical and is not getting "pushed around". The game has changed and most other teams would probably say the same thing about the treatment their stars get. With that being said the team is going to have to be cognizant of protecting Pettersson and Boeser because they are going to get a lot of unwanted attention. 

To me it is more about how the refs have just not adjusted to the new league...they call the softest weirdest penalties and don't call pretty egregious infractions. Good chance that doesn't happen so continued team toughness will be needed. 

The Canucks will have to have an answer, or Petey, Brock, OJ and QH will be MASH unit patients on a regular basis. The guy who cross checked Brock should have his head on a swivel every game in the future against us, waiting for payback. We need to add some gravel to this lineup. I hear Macewen might be the answer, a solid bottom six type with a mean streak let's hope so!

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

We don't get away with it, that's the problem.  If the refs did their jobs, we wouldn't have to have this conversation.  THAT'S where the pressure should be....and it's starting. 

Sports talk is starting to call it out and it's not a hidden secret that the league is holding. 

I'd rather the game keep moving toward speed and skill and start addressing the BS that aims to hurt that.  I saw the Av's get a little embarrassed at times and then come back with some lashing out.  The game was physical (a good thing...our team was fine in that department) but crossed over to dirty at times.  That's not fine and if it becomes a free for all, it's really not fine.

But this league...yeah.  Sure.  Nope.  Pick and choose.  See what you want to.

They even used the word "game management" in post game commmentary when talking of the calls (and lack of) last night.  They need to find consistency BEFORE someone gets hurt badly.   Again.

Justice must be seen to be done.  You're absolutely right, the ref's have to step up and call it by the book.  The players will adjust their game.  It won't hurt the game at all.  They have to trust the rule book because it is designed to manage the game fairly.  Picking and choosing is a dangerous road to take.  So called game management has been going on for as long as I've watched the game (which is close to 50 years) and obviously longer, so it has become part of the culture of NHL hockey.  Another part of NHL culture is fighting and payback which happens when players don't trust that the refs will enforce the rules.

I would go so far as to say that some of the most serious issues in the game result from not enforcing the rules of the game evenly and justly.  

I remember when they started to enforce high sticking.  Back in the day, it had to be a deliberate high stick to be penalized.  If it was accidental, then it was ok.  How weird does that sound today?  Players today accept high sticking.  It's an automatic penalty.  How about head shots.  Automatic 5.  Why not?  Everybody agrees we need it out of the game.  How would the game be if players tried not to hit others in the head.  It'll happen from time to time sure, but reduce it by 80 or 90% and we have a better game.

Why should a team feel as if they need to dress a goon to take care of the BS that goes on because the ref's won't call penalties or have put their whistles away.  They say they don't want to affect the outcome of the game so let the players play.  Of course letting the players get away with breaking the rules affects the outcome and the tough guys win.  I kinda prefer a skilled game.

The problem is a tough guy takes up a roster space. The only way we're getting a tough guy is if he can do other things, whether it be score, defend or kill penalties.

Dorsett was the perfect example of what we need - a tough guy who can fight, stand up for team mates but also play good defence and kill penalties with the occasional goal. 

Ideally someone in Motte, Schaller or Granlund/Eriksson's role would be the tough guy. Virtanen also has the ability to fill the role. Horvat could as well.

I think it comes down to coaching. We've got some tough guys but Green's got the players playing a fast skilled game and keeping them away from the physical side of things. I hope this changes if we make the playoffs.

But that old fossil DON CHERRY likes that rock em sock em type hockey.He even bitched about our coach,because Travis wants the league(being that's there job) to protect players.

If some of that stuff happened to Connor or Sidney or some maple leaf or bruin he would be singing a different song.

the team is so "raw"  or new , or young , forming its identity  focusing more on the basics of the game ,which is scoring goals lets not forget  the key defensive players  out of the line up right now.    boeser's post game interview about the bank shot pass ,he says peteys tried a couple of times ,presumably in practise . their success isnt just new to the fans ,their honing their skills game by game , the focus should be without distraction ,until EP ,AD , and other rookies have played every team, or  all the other 30 teams have had a look at whats happening ,I think things will settle down ,EP will have a better idea of what to  expect ,and actually not until they have played each team in each others buildings will these new players have a real feel for expectation of the opponent. peripheral stuff (retribution, payback) isnt part of the learning curve in the early days , having said that I do think team toughness will fall into place ,but it does seem like the focus is compete , rather than getting mad in the face and losing composure . I think back to the oilers getting trounced 4-0 by the islanders ,coming back the very  next year after learning thru the beat down previous  only to  return the favour the next year.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, dirty Avs are still dirty Avs. ...that's what I took away from watching them play last night.  But it hasn't resulted in a "win" for them in two important games. so, perhaps, they need to change their ways?   Rather than teams adjusting accordingly?

Was a different scenario....Flames were getting blown out and frustration obviously sets in and reactions reflect that.  We weren't in that same position. 

Your heart is in the right place but until the cheap shots are taken out of the game nothing will change. If the toughest player in the league was sitting on the bench would you be dirty if your face was going to get punched in. I think not  Having the deterrent doesn't mean he has to used all the time just threaten to use it.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The problem is a tough guy takes up a roster space. The only way we're getting a tough guy is if he can do other things, whether it be score, defend or kill penalties.

Dorsett was the perfect example of what we need - a tough guy who can fight, stand up for team mates but also play good defence and kill penalties with the occasional goal. 

Ideally someone in Motte, Schaller or Granlund/Eriksson's role would be the tough guy. Virtanen also has the ability to fill the role. Horvat could as well.

I think it comes down to coaching. We've got some tough guys but Green's got the players playing a fast skilled game and keeping them away from the physical side of things. I hope this changes if we make the playoffs.

Ferland would be the type they need tough and can score.

4 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Hey I want to rant at JB and Green about protecting our players, stars . So far I don't see any change. Boeser cross check , Motte cross check . When are we going to abuse teams that step over the line.

giphy.gif

It's called hockey.   Every player, including stars, gets hit and cross-checked.   

Give it a rest.   This isn't ice dance or flag football.

10 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

This team would get slaughtered in the playoffs period. all the physical play would be intensified by 10X

It isn't the physicality that hurts them, it's the cheap shots and dirty stuff.  The stuff they're supposed to be eliminating.

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

giphy.gif

It's called hockey.   Every player, including stars, gets hit and cross-checked.   

Give it a rest.   This isn't ice dance or flag football.

We're already down 6 players how many more should we lose before someone steps up. 

Body slamming is not hockey

Hits from behind are not part of the game

Blaltent headshots are hockey? 

C'mon Rob even you know better

Archived