The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Protecting our stars (Poll)

vannuck59

Do we need to protect our Stars  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Isam said:

Yeah we did and i am stoked. But we still have to prove to the rest of the league that we can do it on consistent basis over the basis of a season. That takes time time to learn, but we are getting there.  That is more important right now then getting  revenge. The team toughness factor will get better as we get better. 

Oh I agree.  To be "feared" in relation to losing  against moreso than getting pummeled.  Because those two points each game matter.  The rest is all details and supposedly in support of that.  Good point.

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh I agree.  To be "feared" in relation to losing  against moreso than getting pummeled.  Because those two points each game matter.  The rest is all details and supposedly in support of that.  Good point.

And to chase around the guy who cheap shotted your player and taking a dumb penalty is smart in a close game?

I hear what everyone is saying but fighting is not a deterrent it is a reaction to something once it has happened. Boeser had a target on his back last year and Petey will be tested. They will take him out if they can.

The league needs to protect the skilled players. No one else can.

I wanted to take part in your poll but your answers are so incredibly biased that I couldn't.  

Q: Do you like vanilla pudding? 

1) Yes, it's the best 

2) Somewhat, I don't have good taste 

3) No, I prefer chocolate pudding and Bill Crosby's my idol 

4 hours ago, DS4quality said:

We're already down 6 players how many more should we lose before someone steps up. 

Body slamming is not hockey

Hits from behind are not part of the game

Blaltent headshots are hockey? 

C'mon Rob even you know better

First, head contact isn't illegal in the NHL. Targetting the head is illegal. There's a difference and often it's a fine line between the two.

These things happens throughout the league though, not just to us. Can you say our players never hit from behind, cross check, or make head contact? Remember Torres? How about Cooke? Having a tough guy doesn't stop it either. The only way to stop it is the refs start calling games by the book. Something I've advocated for 40 years. It's not going to happen. Players will stop if the know they'll get a penalty. The way games are reffed they know they may well get away with it.

Unless of course they really cross the line and get a suspension. Most players try not to cross that line, but some seem to try to get as close to it as they can. They become apparent with multiple suspensions. When you keep on approaching that line it's going to get crossed intentional or not. The only way to eliminate that is calling it by the book regardless of score, time on the clock, regular season, or playoffs. Only then will players play the game by the rules.

12 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I wanted to take part in your poll but your answers are so incredibly biased that I couldn't.  

1) Yes, it's the best 

Well, i think i will stick vanilla pudding since ther might be a possibility that the chocolate pudding might be laced with something. Lol

Its been my biggest complaint about the game the last 10 years maybe more. Referees manage the game more and more.

Managing the game means at some point they are dictating what happens in it and what the results are. To me that goes against any sport being considered a fair competition.

If the ref thinks one team has been dominating and the game is going to get out of hand score wise he calls a couple penalties on the leading team and the lesser team is back in the game. Ridiculous.

Or the one team has had five straight power plays because they are in the attacking zone with all the pressure, oops we know the next call is going against them because 5 power plays in a row look bad on the ref.

Worse yet the ref doesnt like player A because at one time he dove and the ref looked like an idiot for calling a phantom penalty and everyone pointed it out. Ref now calls everything really tight against player A but player B can get away with murder.

The concept of sport is two forces battling for supremacy within a set of rules. Its unfortunate that the entertainment aspect of the game has interfered with the way the game is played and muddied the integrity of the game.

Call the game based on the rules not the score or the amount of penalty time one team has had.

Now i know this is just a dream. In today's NHL its all about a US TV contract and the only thing that matters is the cash. There is no integrity in the game and hasnt been for a long time.

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

1) Yes, it's the best 

LOL.  Freudian slip?  :lol:

10 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Keith hit Dube from behind today zero response from the Flames. It's not just Vancouver...

Not the same play but Sam Bennett went after a Hawk who hit one of his team mates without hesitation. 

I have to laugh it HNIC pundits who go about the 'new NHL' and how young players do not view the physical side the same way. Truly laughable. Players have to be smart enough to pick their spots, no doubt. Having a rep as a soft team come playoffs is brutal. Opposing teams will take liberties especially when they are losing. Playoffs are the season that matters. The regular season is what prepares the team for that endurance run to the CUP. I want more out of this group of Canucks than just being a good regular season team. 

46 minutes ago, Lafayettecrossbar said:

I agree that the refs do play a more intimate role in the outcome of a hockey game moreso than other sports. Only one that would come close in my opinion is baseball. 

In a perfect world, we would have Tryamkin and Gadjovich on the team in the future to help deal with the physical side of things. 

Considering the Canucks outhit most of their opponents game in and game out, I don't think much help is needed

I think it was after two lockouts back .Time flies.

The league came out of that one and made a real effort to clean the game up. For one year they called all hooking, holding, interference...…

I thought it was the best year of entertaining hockey ever. The game was faster and more skilled. Then for the playoffs they began to let some of that crap slip back in. We now have a mix of allowing some of the old crap back in and trying to keep the speed of the game up. (lots of pick plays have slip back in)( that's interference)

I wish they would just call the rules the way they are written.  We see the old school mentality is still there from some of the hockey people. They say we are ruining the game if we curb the physical play. The nature of the game dictates that it will always be some what physical. What I don't like is the lack of respect shown for players. These guys all have families to go home too. No one should be hit with the intent to injure.

Go look at the rules. Charging , crosschecking , intent to injure all of the rules are there to protect players. If the league refuses to follow the rules then THIER the problem.

The most entertaining games to watch are the ones played at high level of speed and skill. The 7 to 6 win for the Canucks that we just watched was very entertaining. I would much rather watch free wheeling high scoring games over some thug fest.  It is a sport not a war.

7 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I think it was after two lockouts back .Time flies.

The league came out of that one and made a real effort to clean the game up. For one year they called all hooking, holding, interference...…

I thought it was the best year of entertaining hockey ever. The game was faster and more skilled. Then for the playoffs they began to let some of that crap slip back in. We now have a mix of allowing some of the old crap back in and trying to keep the speed of the game up. (lots of pick plays have slip back in)( that's interference)

I wish they would just call the rules the way they are written.  We see the old school mentality is still there from some of the hockey people. They say we are ruining the game if we curb the physical play. The nature of the game dictates that it will always be some what physical. What I don't like is the lack of respect shown for players. These guys all have families to go home too. No one should be hit with the intent to injure.

Go look at the rules. Charging , crosschecking , intent to injure all of the rules are there to protect players. If the league refuses to follow the rules then THIER the problem.

The most entertaining games to watch are the ones played at high level of speed and skill. The 7 to 6 win for the Canucks that we just watched was very entertaining. I would much rather watch free wheeling high scoring games over some thug fest.  It is a sport not a war.

I would rather see some hooking, slashing, interference than 16 powerplays every game

Archived