The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Could The Playoffs Be Possible and Is That A Good Thing Right Now?

TheGuardian_

I think making the playoffs is greater than 50%.  Pacific is as weak as it's been in a long time and the Canucks so far have really weathered this early and extensive injury bug very well.  It's given a lot of young players great game time, gel time and lots of goals, lots of wins, and tons of confidence.  Lots of come from behinds in there too.  All these guys are a year older and the extra maturity shows.  Goalies have been better than expected as well.  As the injured players heal fresh legs hit the ice.  Canucks have also had a tougher schedule than most teams to this point and have still managed  9-6 record.  This upcoming road trip has some great matchups in their favour...   fingers crossed.

What a game last night!!!

Even some love this morning out of Boston of all places.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/haggertys-not-your-typical-nhl-power-rankings#slide-6

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 12.21.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 12.20.32 PM.png

Although it would be fun to have both Jack Hughes and Quinn Hughes, it's not necessary that we tank. The young guys are coming and they're playing there asses off. EP, Boeser, Horvat, Virtanen, and Gaudette have already "arrived". Youngish guys like Tyler Motte, Troy Stecher, Ben Hutton, Nikolay Goldobin are contributing. Brendan Gaunce has stepped up because of injuries. And we've got Quinn Hughes, Thatcher Demko (concussion be damned), and Oli Juolevi waiting in the wings. Plus there's also Jonathan Dahlen, Kole Lind, Jalen Chatfield, Guillame Brisebois, Lukas Jasek, Petrus Palmu, Jonah Gadjovich, Zack MacEwen, and Tanner MacMaster developing in Utica. AND THAT DOESN'T"T EVEN INCLUDE -- Michael DiPetrio, Jett Woo, Will Lockwood, Tyler Madden, Kristoffer Gunnarson, Nikita Tryamkin (if he returns), Artem Manukykan, Jack Rathbone, and Matt Brassard developing outside the AHL and most of whom are playing really effectively in there respective leagues.

We've got a pretty stacked prospect pool as it is. And I believe in Judd Brackett and Jim Benning. They've been finding gems in the later rounds for awhile now. I mean, Boeser was picked in the 20-30 range his draft year. In a draft re-do, he goes top 5 in his year easily. Pettersson goes #1 in his year. It's exciting. Even if we make the playoffs only to be bounced in the first round, I'm confident the Canucks will actually pick a great player later in the first round. It might take that player an extra year to make it to the show but that's fine.

FUTURE IS SO BRIGHT I NEED SHADES, MAN!

We have enough draft talent now. Any more superstar picks in the couple years and we’ll exceed cap. Late picks and smart trades can round this team out for years. 

The time is now to start making the playoffs. Ships take a while to turn around, you don’t just snap fingers and start winning. Playoffs this year is a step in the right direction.

41 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

We got Boeser at 23rd didn't we?

That was a fluke, just about all the scouting reports had him ranked 23 to 26 so he was drafted in his ranking position. The scouts had it wrong, late round picks are not as impactful as top 3 to 7 picks, there is a lot less success the later the pick. There are "exceptions".

Boeser at the Canucks pick, a monkey could have done that he was just next the list.

If the draft was redone he would move up the list quite a bit but not likely into the top 7.

The top ten that year have been outstanding and most are already cornerstones on successful franchises.

McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Barzol, Rantanen, Provorov, Werenski,

Now drafting a guy like Tryamkin looks to be is a steal

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

With LA tanking or at least injured, old and horrible right now, that is one position closer to a playoff spot. Anaheim is somewhat questionable as is Vegas.

It is still really way too early yet to tell but that makes it a 5 team competition for the top 3 divisional spots and a 5 team competition for the remaining 2 wild card spots if not a divisional, that might be doable with a little work and if EP keeps it up, a playoff berth might/may be more than a possibility.

So it could be a good thing if a playoff spot is the overall goal. Good for the fans, the owner but the goal of a cup with come cap certainty?

I could be a bad thing as well due to numerous factors.

Leaving the lottery reduces the chances to get players like EP or Horvat.

With the CBA and potential lockout on the horizon, if the NHL reverts to past practices, two more poor seasons could result in an extra (2021) top 7 selection and 3 more top 7 picks should almost guarantee a decade of cup contention and maybe a couple at that. There will be teams looking to trade 2 bad years for up to 4 top 7 picks, 3 picks for sure.

Making the show right now might mean being stuck in the middle, the upper middle, but still like "kissing your sister", years/decade of "almost there".

It is conflicting right now, it is great to see EP, Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Goldy and a little bit Gaudette bloom but the D is nowhere close, it needs 3 more players and OJ can't crack/make this group no matter his 3 years of development. Groot, maybe, Hughes, he is just so small for NHL playoffs.

In the few games so far it is great to see possibilities for the future but short terms gains in the standings at this juncture in exchange for a mere 2 more lottery years and even longer term certainty/plan of cup contention?

It is not JUST the regular season. I cheer when I see those young kids being so successful and cringe if management figure the job is done.

quinn hughes at 5' 10   175   no he isnt that big using petterson as an example of slight build its not impossible to see him crack the line up next year, but a hypothetical with the canucks winning the loto and grabbing his brother at 5'10 157  17 yrs old ,presuming like you say this 1st rd 1st pick is a necessity ,when does he become the game changer ? if quinn h. makes the team in his 20th year then j. hughes is presumably 3years out.      bottom line YOUR  putting WAY TO MUCH EMPHASIS  on 1 specific component of a roster. that it would be an immediate positive impact?  this up coming draft is important ,but realistically when?  

45 minutes ago, stawns said:

if it's conflicting for you, you need to re-evaluate your status as a "fan".  If you watch this team and don't want to see them in the post season, it's probably best to find another team, imo.

You should to if merely making the playoffs and then being a perineal loser because that is good enough, just like the Maple Laffs used to be.

It appears that you are easy to satisfy, nothing wrong with that, aim low and avoid disappointment. For me the purpose of teams playing each other in competition is the goal of trying to be the best of all, not just being one of 16. 

Like I stated, conflicted, fun to watch score and win but concerned about the future.

35 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I totally disagree with your embedded slam against OJ.   On a playoff team, he is already in the lineup as he can play minutes like the way Sergachev could in Tampa for example.   He has NHL talent and is showing that right now in AHL on a young team.   The team has him in Utica as there is no rush - for many of the very reasons you note.   You could put him in the lineup and he would be in the top 6 right now but not getting 20 plus minutes, not getting first team PP and PK duties etc.   

That’s exciting to hear. 

Are you saying this because you’ve actually been watching his games so far this year?

I would think you would be concerned as Benning has only 2 players in five years playing after the #7 selection not counting his first year when he had the benefit of the Bruins scouting reports to help. His late picks are taking more than 4 years to show up, Boeser, Horvat could be past their prime by the time those are rookies and bottom six guys at that. Not sure Gadovitch or Lind are making the top line any time soon.

Might want to pump the brakes on “past their prime” also you got to remember that we’ve had this log jam of forward and old vets in our line-up. We’ll have to see through the next 2 year if any of out later picks start to make the jump into the NHL, and if Gaudettes any indicator of how our prospects are panning our I’m not worried at all we have tones of young talent coming up and even if only 2/6 come out and be NHL caliber players it will be a great time to be a Canucks fan

As much as I love seeing this team winning games I have zero delusions that they will more likely than not not make the playoffs.  That being said, JB has shown it doesnt matter where you draft, you just have to draft well.  The team is showing it has a good core of young players and regardless of where they end up draft wise they'll try to compliment that group.  

If the Canucks can become a winning team with their current stable of players why wouldnt you want that?  And I think most people agree they are going to keep getting better as younger players keep developing.

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

You should to if merely making the playoffs and then being a perineal loser because that is good enough, just like the Maple Laffs used to be.

It appears that you are easy to satisfy, nothing wrong with that, aim low and avoid disappointment. For me the purpose of teams playing each other in competition is the goal of trying to be the best of all, not just being one of 16. 

Like I stated, conflicted, fun to watch score and win but concerned about the future.

are there other teams that know for certain how their future is going to unfold moreso than the canucks? ,because you make it seem like their the only team in the league that is just playing aimlessly without a long term plan ,of which theres a good possibility their ahead of expectation,  there is some aimless expectation  ,but it's not within the team ranks its within the fan base.

17 minutes ago, Slegr said:

We have enough draft talent now. Any more superstar picks in the couple years and we’ll exceed cap. Late picks and smart trades can round this team out for years. 

The time is now to start making the playoffs. Ships take a while to turn around, you don’t just snap fingers and start winning. Playoffs this year is a step in the right direction.

That settles it. CDC HAS SPOKEN!

Making the playoffs is....good. 

Well done all 

:lol:

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Leaving the lottery reduces the chances to get players like EP or Horvat.

With the CBA and potential lockout on the horizon, if the NHL reverts to past practices, two more poor seasons could result in an extra (2021) top 7 selection and 3 more top 7 picks should almost guarantee a decade of cup contention and maybe a couple at that. There will be teams looking to trade 2 bad years for up to 4 top 7 picks, 3 picks for sure.

Making the show right now might mean being stuck in the middle, the upper middle, but still like "kissing your sister", years/decade of "almost there".

It is conflicting right now, it is great to see EP, Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Goldy and a little bit Gaudette bloom but the D is nowhere close, it needs 3 more players and OJ can't crack/make this group no matter his 3 years of development. Groot, maybe, Hughes, he is just so small for NHL playoffs.

Sure we'd be giving up a lotto spot, but the value in these guys learning how to win to the point of actually getting a wildcard spot? massive. Playoff experience, even a 1st round boot? Again, huge, the kids will know where the bar is and come back even hungrier next year. 

I get what you are recycling here, tank and all that, but if this is the year for this team to play a system so well they make the playoffs we will still likely be in the 17-22 draft range, and this year that is full of very promising defensemen which is our biggest area of need: https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2019/

You're also way off on OJ imo. 

34 minutes ago, AllWeatherFan said:

That’s exciting to hear. 

Are you saying this because you’ve actually been watching his games so far this year?

Yes, I have watched every game so far including the one Friday.   I have a package for AHL that allows the feed and I put them all on PVR.   I also talk to a few people who follow the AHL very closely.   

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yes, I have watched every game so far including the one Friday.   I have a package for AHL that allows the feed and I put them all on PVR.   I also talk to a few people who follow the AHL very closely.   

Any sense of how many more games they'd like to leave OJ in Utica before the call up? 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Any sense of how many more games they'd like to leave OJ in Utica before the call up? 

My guess is until TDL to be honest.   He seems hungry for it which is excellent but right now, the dominant minutes and all situation deployment won't happen in NHL and having that under his belt before he arrives is what I think they are looking for.   I think he could easily play right now in NHL but I think he will be a better player if he does another 40 to 50 games in the AHL.

I would think you would be concerned as Benning has only 2 players in five years playing after the #7 selection not counting his first year when he had the benefit of the Bruins scouting reports to help. His late picks are taking more than 4 years to show up, Boeser, Horvat could be past their prime by the time those are rookies and bottom six guys at that. Not sure Gadovitch or Lind are making the top line any time soon.

This seems very selective. You do not count the first year, therefore you're only looking at the past 4 years of drafting and complaining about players taking 4 years to make the team. In the 2015 draft, Boeser and Gaudette are both on the team currently and Brisebois had an early call up. Jasek is another player signed. That seems like a very good draft to me despite making the playoffs that season and having later picks in each round to work with. Players drafted in the later rounds are generally drafted there because they may require more development time, so it's not unexpected that they take longer to work out if at all. Most teams are lucky to get a couple of NHL players out of a draft.

1 hour ago, Roberts said:

This may sound like a silly question, but will the team be doing this good when Beagle and Edler come back? I think so, but you look at the young players battling for positions in the team and I think they might be trying harder than players like Beagle and Edler every game because they know they don't have a spot on the team unless they show they deserve it. I think Gagner being sent down was a great thing because it shows just because you're a veteran, it doesn't mean you can just coast along with the team.

Beagle was excellent prior to injury and remember when Edler was blocking everything in sight and playing top minutes? I get that the call ups are putting in a good effort, but they are going off adrenaline and it will wear off. We saw that with Archibald who looked great when called up then fizzled after a longer run for example. I'm glad we have solid call up depth, but the team will be better long term when those guys return. Hutton and Gudbranson have stepped up, but I don't see them being long term solutions in the top pairing role and should have more limited minutes, although Hutton has made a good case for himself being a top 4 dman as of late.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'm with @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME. By all means it would be great if we're pushing for playoffs, but we should be continuing to sell expiring vets off with our aim squarely at the future. Any playoff success this, or any future years,  will depend on those futures, not expiring vets. 

Depends which vets you're talking about. I see more value long term in keeping guys like Edler and Tanev for example playoffs or not (unless of course the return would be unreal and with the assumption we would be extending them rather than letting them walk). But I would still move guys like Del Zotto if there's a market for him, but it would be hard to justify for a playoff team to be offloading depth and guys that got them to the playoffs.

Archived