The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Could The Playoffs Be Possible and Is That A Good Thing Right Now?

TheGuardian_

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd be perfectly happy (should he be willing to waive his NTC) to move Edler at the TDL (and ideally, re-sign him in the summer) regardless of what kind of playoff position we're in. Of course he's perfectly within his rights (and perhaps most likely) to not waive as well.

Management has stated numerous times that they're well aware of where the organization is and that the future of the team is their primary concern. They've also stated numerous times that they'll do everything in their power to get value for expiring vets where possible.

Again, this team's playoff hopes (either now or in the future) will depend on youth, not vets (not that guys like Edler can't be a solid contributors in those efforts).

It would be ideal to trade Edler and re-sign him, but I think it's a dream scenario. Edler has stated that he will waive if he's no longer wanted by the club a while back and I don't think that has changed. It's not about him wanting to waive or not, but rather if the team sees value for him. If Edler has no intention of wanting to re-sign then they will ask him to waive and I'm sure he will. This is why I find the trade and re-sign scenario unlikely.

Edler can handle the harder defensive minutes and with the expectation of Hughes and Juolevi starting their NHL careers soon, it would be nice to have a vet like Edler who wants to be here and is basically one of best reasonable options for us in UFA. He will help the young guys transition much like the Sedins stuck around just long enough for the young offensive studs in Boeser and Pettersson to come in. Defense is a whole different position to play and playing actual defense is a very difficult challenge at the NHL level. Edler may not directly boost our playoff hopes, but he will help with our young future players get there and that's why I see more value in keeping him. I actually see Edler being even better in the defensive end when the offensive PP minutes are taken by Hughes and his minutes are lowered a bit.

Management certainly seems to have a gameplan in place and it's been demonstrated that they want vets to handle the hard minutes to let the young guys grow into those roles.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

It would be ideal to trade Edler and re-sign him, but I think it's a dream scenario. Edler has stated that he will waive if he's no longer wanted by the club a while back and I don't think that has changed. It's not about him wanting to waive or not, but rather if the team sees value for him. If Edler has no intention of wanting to re-sign then they will ask him to waive and I'm sure he will. This is why I find the trade and re-sign scenario unlikely.

Edler can handle the harder defensive minutes and with the expectation of Hughes and Juolevi starting their NHL careers soon, it would be nice to have a vet like Edler who wants to be here and is basically one of best reasonable options for us in UFA. He will help the young guys transition much like the Sedins stuck around just long enough for the young offensive studs in Boeser and Pettersson to come in. Defense is a whole different position to play and playing actual defense is a very difficult challenge at the NHL level. Edler may not directly boost our playoff hopes, but he will help with our young future players get there and that's why I see more value in keeping him. I actually see Edler being even better in the defensive end when the offensive PP minutes are taken by Hughes and his minutes are lowered a bit.

Management certainly seems to have a gameplan in place and it's been demonstrated that they want vets to handle the hard minutes to let the young guys grow into those roles.

Oh, I agree, it's likely we re-sign him.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

a rebuild should never be "over".  If you have a front office who can draft well, once you get a good pipeline established, there should be a continual cycle of moving vets out and bringing youth in.

While I agree with this in practice, at some point the team needs to decide if they're all in for a Cup and be willing to make some sacrifices to hopefully put them over the top. A bad draft year (everyone makes mistakes) could equate to simply giving up some picks to get some final touches to round out the team heading into the post season. Benning, IMO, has found some gems and has done quite well at the trade deadline, so I think he would pursue the right options, but we have yet to see him in that position so who knows. This might be seen as the rebuild being over, but it certainly doesn't mean the drafting shouldn't be anything less than stellar in the later rounds to continue the growth of the team.

7 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

You know I have been a huge believer in going all in on a rebuild. I have preached the benefits of tanking when required. Getting high end talent is what it is all about and landing as much as possible. You never know how much of that talent will become successful. 

But you can't stop the evolution of a team. You acquire talent to win. If the kids are successful then you rejoice and go with it. The success that these young guys are having shows that we may have a few players who have a much higher potential then any of us could have hoped for. Defense is still a problem and this winning streak might be short lived but until then I will enjoy the fruits of Jim's labor.

We have some solid young D men coming and I have zero concern about Hughes. No matter where we end up as long as they keep their draft picks and look for opportunities to acquire more we will be fine.

However I reserve the right to jump back on the TANK train if we are out of the playoff picture around TD time. At that time management should flip the switch and continue to make decisions to benefit the club for the long term.   " trade older assets for picks"

“Canucks are buyers this year around and have made a splash, trading a first round pick in 2019 and palmu to Ottawa for duchene”

I don’t care if the canucks are first place in the league, the city is still in rebuild mode. There would be an uproar if any picks got dealt. 

No matter where the Canucks finish, this has already been a positive season and it injects hope and excitement into Canucks fans for the first time since 2011

stick to the plan, you can still sell and go for the playoffs because the players that will be getting us there are the players who are untouchables (pettersson, boeser, Horvat) 

4 minutes ago, billabong said:

“Canucks are buyers this year around and have made a splash, trading a first round pick in 2019 and palmu to Ottawa for duchene”

I don’t care if the canucks are first place in the league, the city is still in rebuild mode. There would be an uproar if any picks got dealt. 

No matter where the Canucks finish, this has already been a positive season and it injects hope and excitement into Canucks fans for the first time since 2011

stick to the plan, you can still sell and go for the playoffs because the players that will be getting us there are the players who are untouchables (pettersson, boeser, Horvat) 

We are winning without Tanev , Edler and Sutter. Make deals as they get healthy. We have some young D looking for spots.

Keep and resign Edler.

It's fun to see the Canucks win and on top of the division.  But I don't know if this can go on for the rest of the season. 

Look at the GF and GA.  There's a -3 differential.  That has to improve if the Canucks want to make the playoffs (and possibly go deep).

Yes the injury bug can be a partial explanation.  But I think the D still needs improvement.

8 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

With LA tanking or at least injured, old and horrible right now, that is one position closer to a playoff spot. Anaheim is somewhat questionable as is Vegas.

It is still really way too early yet to tell but that makes it a 5 team competition for the top 3 divisional spots and a 5 team competition for the remaining 2 wild card spots if not a divisional, that might be doable with a little work and if EP keeps it up, a playoff berth might/may be more than a possibility.

So it could be a good thing if a playoff spot is the overall goal. Good for the fans, the owner but the goal of a cup with come cap certainty?

I could be a bad thing as well due to numerous factors.

Leaving the lottery reduces the chances to get players like EP or Horvat.

With the CBA and potential lockout on the horizon, if the NHL reverts to past practices, two more poor seasons could result in an extra (2021) top 7 selection and 3 more top 7 picks should almost guarantee a decade of cup contention and maybe a couple at that. There will be teams looking to trade 2 bad years for up to 4 top 7 picks, 3 picks for sure.

Making the show right now might mean being stuck in the middle, the upper middle, but still like "kissing your sister", years/decade of "almost there".

It is conflicting right now, it is great to see EP, Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Goldy and a little bit Gaudette bloom but the D is nowhere close, it needs 3 more players and OJ can't crack/make this group no matter his 3 years of development. Groot, maybe, Hughes, he is just so small for NHL playoffs.

In the few games so far it is great to see possibilities for the future but short terms gains in the standings at this juncture in exchange for a mere 2 more lottery years and even longer term certainty/plan of cup contention?

It is not JUST the regular season. I cheer when I see those young kids being so successful and cringe if management figure the job is done.

If im the Canucks, I take it one game at a time quite honestly.  Over the past few years, the Canucks have often fielded competive teams up until about January-February.....where they then felll of a cliff (sometimes due to too many key injuries).

Given the Canucks recent history, I’d honestly just take it one game at a time. 

8 hours ago, littledreamer said:

Side note, regardless of the team making the playoffs, I genuinely think EP will challenge for the overall scoring race this year, points.  Pace this out to a year, and he seems to be getting better, not worse.

We've always said he takes about 10 games to adjust to a new league. If this was his adjustment period, i have no idea what his play will be when adjusted lol. 

I would be ecstatic if he can just maintain and play similar level of hockey. 

I agree with Guardian.

We should trade the players driving these results, so we can have better draft position next year.  I've finally seen the merit in this idea.

Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Virtanen, Granlund, Motte, Gudbranson, Pouliot, Stecher, Hutton...gotta go.

Get rid of some vets / complementary foundation while they're at it.   Sutter's getting in the way of progress.  So is Tanev.  Edler.  Beagle.  They're doing ok with them out of the lineup, but dump them all for the tank just in case they get healthy and stabilize anything.

Get rid of these Gaunce types as well.  We can't have these quality callups contributing to short term results.  We'll pay for that you know.  Too many players in Utica that arent' contributing to losses when recalled.

Can we do it right - #proper-rebuild - next time, please?

11 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

With LA tanking or at least injured, old and horrible right now, that is one position closer to a playoff spot. Anaheim is somewhat questionable as is Vegas.

It is still really way too early yet to tell but that makes it a 5 team competition for the top 3 divisional spots and a 5 team competition for the remaining 2 wild card spots if not a divisional, that might be doable with a little work and if EP keeps it up, a playoff berth might/may be more than a possibility.

So it could be a good thing if a playoff spot is the overall goal. Good for the fans, the owner but the goal of a cup with come cap certainty?

I could be a bad thing as well due to numerous factors.

Leaving the lottery reduces the chances to get players like EP or Horvat.

With the CBA and potential lockout on the horizon, if the NHL reverts to past practices, two more poor seasons could result in an extra (2021) top 7 selection and 3 more top 7 picks should almost guarantee a decade of cup contention and maybe a couple at that. There will be teams looking to trade 2 bad years for up to 4 top 7 picks, 3 picks for sure.

Making the show right now might mean being stuck in the middle, the upper middle, but still like "kissing your sister", years/decade of "almost there".

It is conflicting right now, it is great to see EP, Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Goldy and a little bit Gaudette bloom but the D is nowhere close, it needs 3 more players and OJ can't crack/make this group no matter his 3 years of development. Groot, maybe, Hughes, he is just so small for NHL playoffs.

In the few games so far it is great to see possibilities for the future but short terms gains in the standings at this juncture in exchange for a mere 2 more lottery years and even longer term certainty/plan of cup contention?

It is not JUST the regular season. I cheer when I see those young kids being so successful and cringe if management figure the job is done.

There are no negatives to becoming a playoff team this year if they pull it off.

You just dismissed 2 of our prospect defensemen, and they haven't even played a single NHL game. One was drafted 6 months ago!

Like other posters have said, a 20th overall pick in the draft can be an impact player. Heck, a 7th round player can become an impact player. I trust in Benning & his scouts. 

Moreover, anything can happen in the playoffs. It's the team with the most heart & determination that claws their way to Lord Stanley. Right now I see a lot of heart and determination from our boys.

11 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

And we probably should look to trade at least one of Edler/Tanev, possibly one of Baertschi/Granlund, potentially Sutter (if Gaudette and Gaunce are looking NHL ready), Nilsson (if Demko is healthy and pushing for an NHL spot), and even the younger depth guys like Leipsic and others, if our AHL prospects start pushing for spots.

Definitely agree with the rest of your post, but I don't think we can afford to trade the only two d-men besides Stecher that are NHL calibre on a good team.  We're hoping that one of Brisebois, Juolevi or Hughes will be ready for next year and I see Pouliot and MDZ as the ones that leave the roster. 

But yes, push for playoffs all the way!

- Knowing how to play and win in the post-season requires experience

- The team needs to know if they have the right core.  Not everyone is a playoff performer and some might surprise.  They also need to know who buys into team concept vs individual success.

- There are so few opportunities to go 4 rounds and win a Cup.  Never waste an opportunity - it might never come back.  Salary cap, players hitting UFA, unexpected injuries.

Sometimes coming in as the underdog has less pressure and can surprise.  Nashville barely qualified as the 16th team when they went to the finals despite losing both their C1 and C2 on the way.  What if Poile had brought in C depth at the TDL that season.  Last season they were among the favourites and talked about how they didn't handle it well mentally.  The Jets were patient with their rebuild but may not be able to keep their group together for much longer with the salary cap and the Trouba situation.

When Laviolette took over in Nashville he insisted on playoff experience.  He talked about how it's a roller coaster of emotions.  Scheifele said it surprised him how tough it was mentally.  There's a huge gap between the highs and the lows and players can get caught up in the emotions.

Learning how to stay even keeled - not just game by game but shift by shift.  If you have a bad shift you have to put it behind.  If you are leading you can't think you will win the game.  Some players also want to be playoff heroes and instead of trusting the system and their teammates, try to do too much on their own.  They no longer play the right way or as a team.  Others can't control their emotions and end up taking bad penalties or get thrown off their game too easily.  There's going to be bad referring and players have to learn how to deal with it and stay focused.  Everything is amplified in the playoffs and a lot is about having the experience to deal with it.

The play itself is also more intense.  Not all penalties are called anymore so it's also the physical part of the game that is different.  Some guys can't get that easily to the net anymore while in the regular season they can be helped by how penalties are assessed.  It's not the same in face-offs either.  It's a different game and the team needs to figure who can play in that kind of environment - mental strength and on ice efficiency.

They don't want to end up being caught in no man's land like the Wild - a solid team in the regular season but not a team that wins in the post-season.  The Wild are one of only 3 teams that have made the playoffs in the past 6 seasons.  They have kept pretty much the same core.  The further they went is the 2nd round.  Niederreiter, Zucker and Coyle are core players but each had no points last post-season and didn't do any much better the year before.  Each time they found excuses to bring back the same group back because they did well in the regular season.  

Michael Jordan popularised the saying 'players win games, teams win championships'.  Several Washington players talked about how this year they were finally sacrificing for each other and became family.  Hynes was saying you can't just be a friendly group of guys who play hockey together you have to become a brotherhood.

In the playoffs it's about trust.  Playing to the system, trusting that if you make a pass your teammate will bury the puck.  Already in the regular season there are often guys calling for the puck and being ignored despite being in a prime scoring position.  Others cheat or decide to try and do it on their own.  Those are all things that get exploited in the post-season.  

There's too much benefit of making the playoffs and so much to learn for the players but also management re assessing the make-up of the team.

Archived