The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Calvert - the guy that gooned Boeser

Ray_Cathode

Here's a check up on Matt Calvert, the guy that cross-checked Boeser well away from the play:
https://latest-today-news.com/2018/11/03/boeser-takes-cross-check-to-back-from-calvert/

Here's Columbus perspective - different target, similar idea:
https://www.jacketscannon.com/2017/4/15/15314464/matt-calvert-should-be-suspended

Here's the Penguins perspective:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/blue-jackets-matt-calvert-kuhnhackl-cross-check-break-stick-dirty-cheap-penguins-nhl-playoffs

Another perspective on this guy:
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/04/potential-suspensions-calvert.html

Here is his butt end on Ovechkin:
https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2018/02/26/matt-calvert-bloodies-alex-ovechkins-mouth-butt-end/

This guy is a repeat offender of the worst sort, he needs time to cool off.  The league should look at supplementary discipline on this guy.

20 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Here's a check up on Matt Calvert, the guy that cross-checked Boeser well away from the play:
https://latest-today-news.com/2018/11/03/boeser-takes-cross-check-to-back-from-calvert/

Here's Columbus perspective - different target, similar idea:
https://www.jacketscannon.com/2017/4/15/15314464/matt-calvert-should-be-suspended

Here's the Penguins perspective:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/blue-jackets-matt-calvert-kuhnhackl-cross-check-break-stick-dirty-cheap-penguins-nhl-playoffs

Another perspective on this guy:
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/04/potential-suspensions-calvert.html

Here is his butt end on Ovechkin:
https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2018/02/26/matt-calvert-bloodies-alex-ovechkins-mouth-butt-end/

This guy is a repeat offender of the worst sort, he needs time to cool off.  The league should look at supplementary disciple on this guy.

I don't want him to be a disciple of any sort, but he could use some discipline :P 

Seems like a few teams have an eye on him. It's just a matter of time before someone goes out of their way to teach him a lesson if the league keeps ignoring his cheap, behind the play crap.

If the league wants to keep players from policing each other on the ice, they need to implement some sort warning system for cheap crap that was missed during play.

7 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Seems like a few teams have an eye on him. It's just a matter of time before someone goes out of their way to teach him a lesson if the league keeps ignoring his cheap, behind the play crap.

If the league wants to keep players from policing each other on the ice, they need to implement some sort warning system for cheap crap that was missed during play.

Part of the system entails the Canucks lodging a formal complain to the DOP(e)S on the play.  Sometimes the DOP(e)S initiate a review themselves.  I think the best action would have been crushing his skull with knuckles his next shift myself...

9 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I don't want him to be a disciple of any sort, but he could use some discipline :P 

LOL, and here's me without any excuses at all, I'm way past senility, my eyes are so old my distance vision has come back, sex isn't even a memory, and booze doesn't make me feel any different from normal.  On the other hand, my fingers have become so enormous I can never hit the right keys, even if I could remember which ones I should hit to complete the last half of any given sentence.

Thanks for the kindly tip.  Cheers

19 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Yes, so often I hear the excuse... "It was a hockey play..." when the victim misses twenty games because of concussion resulting from an uncalled, undisciplined head shot.  The league has ignored the whiplash effect of crosschecks to the back of the neck for years, just as they have ignored shots to the unprotected area just above the pants on the lower spine and/or the kidneys.

10 minutes ago, xereau said:

Part of the system entails the Canucks lodging a formal complain to the DOP(e)S on the play.  Sometimes the DOP(e)S initiate a review themselves.  I think the best action would have been crushing his skull with knuckles his next shift myself...

I am older than God now, but that used to be the procedure when I played, though I preferred waiting till they were receiving the puck and then running them over.  When they looked up and refocussed their eyes I would ask if they were alright,  If the nodded or affirmed in any way that they were, I referred back to the concept of the feedback loop realizing that the lesson had not been imparted vigorously enough to be thoroughly learned, and would repeat the procedure.

I have to confess to having learned a few lessons that way myself, I pride myself on how quickly I learned not to assert that I was okay when queried.

11 minutes ago, xereau said:

Agree completely. The Canucks werent even deploying the old dump n chase into Calvert's corner after the cross check. Like, at least pick on the guy a bit if you're not gonna crack his face open.

31 minutes ago, chon derry said:

I cant see corn on the cob in his diet   long term. 

Cream of corn soup maybe.

The guy's got it coming. I guarantee Ovie took a number... I'd hate to be run by him. He's pasted countless dmen over the years. Also, after Ovie crushes guys in the corner, they usually end up with a big scrum around them and if you throw at the great 8, your head's getting pummeled by any number of Caps.

47 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yes, so often I hear the excuse... "It was a hockey play..." when the victim misses twenty games because of concussion resulting from an uncalled, undisciplined head shot.  The league has ignored the whiplash effect of crosschecks to the back of the neck for years, just as they have ignored shots to the unprotected area just above the pants on the lower spine and/or the kidneys.

So when Burrows was with Canucks and speared players, like this below, and didn't get a penalty you were all up in arms too?   When Guddy cross-checks people it upsets you and you want the league to "do something"?

You were happy Guddy got called for this hit that could have ended a career?   Worse than hit on EP40 don't you think?

Everyone needs to calm down. Obviously the team didn't see what happened, otherwise surely there would of been a response. Besides, that's not how hockey is played anymore. They were in a 2-2 game, you can't take a penalty in that situation that could cost you the game! 

/sarcasm 

Seriously guys, calm the hell down. These cheap shots are nothing new. Should have been a penalty, but other than that, whatever. Brock didn't even miss a shift.

Even still, I remember a few times later in the game where guys were battling Calvert, and seemed to go at him extra hard. They noticed.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So when Burrows was with Canucks and speared players, like this below, and didn't get a penalty you were all up in arms too?   When Guddy cross-checks people it upsets you and you want the league to "do something"?

You were happy Guddy got called for this hit that could have ended a career?   Worse than hit on EP40 don't you think?

Prusts spear on Marchand was embarrassing.

Didn’t like a lot of burrows game.

didnt like a lot of Keslers game.

didnt like lapppierre at all.

didnt like a lot of Matt cookes game.

life long Canuck fan but not biased enough to disagree with what went on at times.

but.

the cross check on Boeser was cheap.  Simple as that.  And again no response.

my feelings mimicked the look on Jim Benning’s face and I still am not happy about it.  I’m tired of this team turning the other cheek.

5 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Prusts spear on Marchand was embarrassing.

Didn’t like a lot of burrows game.

didnt like a lot of Keslers game.

didnt like lapppierre at all.

didnt like a lot of Matt cookes game.

life long Canuck fan but not biased enough to disagree with what went on at times.

but.

the cross check on Boeser was cheap.  Simple as that.  And again no response.

my feelings mimicked the look on Jim Benning’s face and I still am not happy about it.  I’m tired of this team turning the other cheek.

How do you you know there was no response?   You see all angles of the rink at all times?  You know that?   

The best "cheap" shots in hockey go unnoticed.  Some players, like Crosby, are masters at getting a slash, hack or cross-check in unnoticed and then get a retaliation penalty.   

This "theme" that the Canuck players don't give out as much as they take is lame and inaccurate.   Go to another team's "Board" during a Canuck game and you get all sorts of complaints happening against Canuck players and how the reffing is biased etc. etc.   Nature of a fanbase.   Don't let it become a reality though - as it is not.   

50 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Seriously guys, calm the hell down. These cheap shots are nothing new. Should have been a penalty, but other than that, whatever. Brock didn't even miss a shift.

Even still, I remember a few times later in the game where guys were battling Calvert, and seemed to go at him extra hard. They noticed.

finally-someone-gets-7pyttk.jpg

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How do you you know there was no response?   You see all angles of the rink at all times?  You know that?   

The best "cheap" shots in hockey go unnoticed.  Some players, like Crosby, are masters at getting a slash, hack or cross-check in unnoticed and then get a retaliation penalty.   

This "theme" that the Canuck players don't give out as much as they take is lame and inaccurate.   Go to another team's "Board" during a Canuck game and you get all sorts of complaints happening against Canuck players and how the reffing is biased etc. etc.   Nature of a fanbase.   Don't let it become a reality though - as it is not.   

Honestly rob this post is joke.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sure, as you wish.   I shake my head sometimes at "fans" as it makes the fanbase look so myopic and everything other fan bases say about it.   

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

I watch hockey almost every night.  I have a good idea of what is going on.  U used Crosby as an example.  Imo he is the best player in the game right now hands down.  Sure he gets hit hacked and slashed but he is also a diving whiny baby at times.

so is Mac David who has no cred yet to even justify whining 

so since we don’t have a player like that at all on our team, your comparison means nothing.

Archived