The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Calvert - the guy that gooned Boeser

Ray_Cathode

6 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I spent a year in Toronto during the Clark era... and yes the league was against the Leafs winning anything! Worked in Alberta for a few years... and yes both Oiler and Lames fans think the same :)

there was so much more against the Leafs then :lol:

I dunno, its just my opinion from years of watching but when I see the names Peel, O'Halloran or Sutherland its probably not going to be a good night for the Canucks. 

Kerry Fraser did admit after he retired that bias does exist among refs. 

10 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

This stuff, here, is crap.

You've presented your "opinion" and now it's acceptable for others to do the same.  Nothing "seals" it...it's a discussion board and that's sort of the point (to offer opinions back/forth).

Read what he/she says and how they say it.  How else could I respond.  When it is an opinion that says my opinion is not only invalid, it is not fitting into the "conspiracy" what else can one do if they wish to support their own opinion?   If you can come up with another conclusion, you are far better at reading comprehension than I.   Sure it is a discussion board - but seemingly one where if you try to be a fan but also point out that the Canucks are not the victims of some form of conspiracy you get some interesting responses.   

I have no problem with other opinions - I have a problem when people tell me there is a conspiracy, or a player is "Crap" or an NHL player is "soft" or so forth.   We all have biases - it goes with the opinions.   In the thread, seemingly, that includes a real issue for some who feel as though the Canucks are getting a disproportionate amount of leagues less than ideal officiating and/or rulings from on high - I disagree and therefore, seemingly, that is a crap perspective.   

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there are certainly a small handful of veteran ref's that do, there's no doubt about that. I don't know if other cities have similar issues. 

I am sure every ref like every player has biases but Jimmy do you really think that the Canucks get worse overall officiating than any other team in the league?  I sense from some in this thread that a few actually believe that.   

11 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I’m just pointing out non-calls and at other times comparing them with calls made.  The worst thing that one could allege is that the process is entirely arbitrary.  But if it is not arbitrary, what is it?

Refs are human.   ANY game has ebbs and flows and they try to manage it and sometimes do it better than others.   I have seen lots of crap calls against Canucks but also situations where they get away with stuff they shouldn't.   Some thought Horvat's call late against AVs should not have happened but he didn't get to the puck first and that made it far too easy for ref to make that call.   

By not answering the asked question twice, I will assume you wish the officiating could be better but don't feel it is specifically worse for the Canucks.   If that is indeed your mindset, we are in violent agreement.   

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

No question NHL could have better officiating but you didn't answer the question - do you think the Canucks get it worse than any other team or do you think it is equally good or bad across the NHL?   

I don't think it is equal across the NHL, i don’t Know if there are other teams that have it worse.  There do appear to be at least a few teams who don’t believe they get a fair shake.  I’m not prepared to disagree with them.  What I do see is that there appears to be no consistency in interpreting the rules.  

2 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don't think it is equal across the NHL, i don’t Know if there are other teams that have it worse.  There do appear to be at least a few teams who don’t believe they get a fair shake.  I’m not prepared to disagree with them.  What I do see is that there appears to be no consistency in interpreting the rules.  

So you think the NHL has a conspiracy against certain teams.    Interesting.   Fair enough that is your opinion but shouldn't this lead to some investigation and outrage?    Seems something pretty hard to pull off...no?

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So you think the NHL has a conspiracy against certain teams.    Interesting.   Fair enough that is your opinion but shouldn't this lead to some investigation and outrage?    Seems something pretty hard to pull off...no?

Not really, you just have to be in the right position. 

After the debacle below, he was promoted to : “Colin John Campbell is a Canadian former professional ice hockey defenceman, coach and the former Senior Vice President and current Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations for the National Hockey League.”  Wikipedi

A taste of Colin Campbell’s impartiality:  

12 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Not really, you just have to be in the right position. 

After the debacle below, he was promoted to : “Colin John Campbell is a Canadian former professional ice hockey defenceman, coach and the former Senior Vice President and current Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations for the National Hockey League.”  Wikipedi

A taste of Colin Campbell’s impartiality:  

read those e-mails and then remember that this same guy went on to the ice and celebrated the Bruins winning the cup in Vancouver. league is an absolute joke

Nepotism_is_a_beautiful_thing.jpg

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am sure every ref like every player has biases but Jimmy do you really think that the Canucks get worse overall officiating than any other team in the league?  I sense from some in this thread that a few actually believe that.   

it's honestly mind boggling how many people truly believe that here.

12 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

worse? no probably not, but I do think a few teams like Boston and TO do get a little bit better officiating on occasion than anyone else. 

Take that whole debacle with Martin and Gudbranson, the league sends a cadre of front office officials to watch the rematch in Vancouver to ensure there's no real retaliation, that was a joke and doesn't happen to every team. I think that had more to do with protecting Matthews and the fact that it was in Vancouver made it an easy decision for some in the NHL front office. 

The hockey media doesn't help, it is quite biased and its easy to crap on Vancouver so I think that feeds into the whole thing. 

But a conspiracy? no. 

On 2018-11-03 at 7:38 PM, riffraff said:

Prusts spear on Marchand was embarrassing.

Didn’t like a lot of burrows game.

didnt like a lot of Keslers game.

didnt like lapppierre at all.

didnt like a lot of Matt cookes game.

life long Canuck fan but not biased enough to disagree with what went on at times.

but.

the cross check on Boeser was cheap.  Simple as that.  And again no response.

my feelings mimicked the look on Jim Benning’s face and I still am not happy about it.  I’m tired of this team turning the other cheek.

Sorry bud. But if you’re going to play like the dirty player Marchard has become, then that spear is not a Prust move; it’s league retribution. I am confident that most players who saw the replay laughed at it and were happy about it.

I’m not for it for the most part, but if you’re dishing it out, you must take it.

This is a very fine play

On 11/3/2018 at 5:25 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Yes, so often I hear the excuse... "It was a hockey play..." when the victim misses twenty games because of concussion resulting from an uncalled, undisciplined head shot.  The league has ignored the whiplash effect of crosschecks to the back of the neck for years, just as they have ignored shots to the unprotected area just above the pants on the lower spine and/or the kidneys.

Absolutely agree. I always thought that a player who gets penalized after a cheap shot that results in injury should have to sit out just as long as the player he hurt. You concuss somebody with a head shot and he sits 20 games. So do you. It won't take long for those guys to go undrafted/unwanted. Dont want to pay somebody $$ who can't play because he injures other players with dirty play. 

The other thing is that it makes the game look bad. People say that is part of hockey but it shouldn't be. It takes no skill whatsoever to cross check a guy in the back away from the puck when he doesn't even know it is coming.  Like all the hooking and holding that has been taken out of the game, which also took no skill, a play like that should be a penalty. Athletic skill plays should be rewarded. Speed, strength, skill and tactics make the game great. Not cross checking unsuspecting players from behind. Any idiot can do that. If you beat a guy and get ahead of him with the puck or get position on the crease you should be rewarded, and the other guy shouldn't be able to just cross check, tackle or hook you as you go in. On the flip/defensive side you have to do what Bo Horvat did when he tracked a guy down from behind got next to him and put a hard stick check on and cleanly broke up the breakaway (Flames game?). That is a proper athletic defensive play and was shown as a highlight on Sportsnet as it should. Boeser got position on Calvert in front of the net. Calvert's gotta get in front of him or next to him and lift his stick and make an athletic play. What sport allows you to hammer an opponent from behind when he can't see you coming? Reward the athletes with speed, skill, strength and understanding where to be. At minimum require the guy to have his hands together so the stick doesn't make contact with the lower back only the gloves. You're risking knocking Boeser out for awhile, one of the league's most exciting young players, to allow Calvert to do something that any idiot can do? No. Cross checking should be policed way more in general. 

I also wonder if he knew of Boeser's injury last year in the same spot and went after it for that reason.  Go ahead and hit him across the shoulders to disrupt him but maybe it was like the Cobra Kai guy going after Daniel san's leg.  

35 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Sorry bud. But if you’re going to play like the dirty player Marchard has become, then that spear is not a Prust move; it’s league retribution. I am confident that most players who saw the replay laughed at it and were happy about it.

I’m not for it for the most part, but if you’re dishing it out, you must take it.

This is a very fine play

I’m not saying Marchand didn’t deserve it.

3 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Much ado about nothing

It was just a cross check

got him in a soft spot

never missed a shift

That's hockey

Penalty worthy but it was missed. No big deal

people complaining about it should enjoy table tennis

Pettersson or Brock could be playing table tennis and the other player hits the ball so hard it hits one of them in the face and fans would still be up in arms, calling for the other player to be ejected, calling it an illegal hit :towel:

17 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Did you miss 2011? Most who witnessed that have good reason to think Canucks get the “officiating shaft”. Yes it goes both ways, but sure seems to me other teams get away with some more blatant penalties, that the Canucks sure don’t. It’s gotten better since 2011, but yes there definitely has been bias since the Auger incident

Archived