The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Calvert - the guy that gooned Boeser

Ray_Cathode

4 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

Did you miss 2011? Most who witnessed that have good reason to think Canucks get the “officiating shaft”. Yes it goes both ways, but sure seems to me other teams get away with some more blatant penalties, that the Canucks sure don’t. It’s gotten better since 2011, but yes there definitely has been bias since the Auger incident

I didn't like the officiating in 2011 either nor did I like the coaching decision to let the officiating handle the situations.    I think Boston got away with what the Canucks could equally get away with but if you are going to invoke 2011, and Auger, why not invoke Bertuzzi and Moore while you are at it?

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I didn't like the officiating in 2011 either nor did I like the coaching decision to let the officiating handle the situations.    I think Boston got away with what the Canucks could equally get away with but if you are going to invoke 2011, and Auger, why not invoke Bertuzzi and Moore while you are at it?

Fair enough, and honestly I didn’t like the crosscheck on Boeser, but that play happens in front of the net several times every game. 2 min penalty if ref sees, nothing more. If it weren’t for Boeser’s back injury/surgery, would just be another play. Would have been nice to see someone give Calvert some lumber though. If anyone did, I certainly missed it :(

36 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

Fair enough, and honestly I didn’t like the crosscheck on Boeser, but that play happens in front of the net several times every game. 2 min penalty if ref sees, nothing more. If it weren’t for Boeser’s back injury/surgery, would just be another play. Would have been nice to see someone give Calvert some lumber though. If anyone did, I certainly missed it :(

Ya, I missed it to (if it happened) but more of the game happens away from the puck that anyone even in the rink realizes.   Calvert is a guy known for using lumber but so are Guddy and a few of the Canucks.

On 03/11/2018 at 4:38 PM, riffraff said:

Prusts spear on Marchand was embarrassing.

Didn’t like a lot of burrows game.

didnt like a lot of Keslers game.

didnt like lapppierre at all.

didnt like a lot of Matt cookes game.

Prusts spear was embarassing because he didn't put enough force into it. Brad deserves it. 

Burrows, Kesler... Both ring of honour guys... Both with so many clutch goals 

Lappy gave me one of my greatest hockey moments ever and I'll forever respect him for that. 

All three of these guys had to be pests to some extent to get us to the cup. Loved all of their game 

As for the cooker, he was a terrific pest when he played for us and barely crossed the line. I fully respect %100 of his game during his canucks career. After that... Not so much and would have to agree with u 

Let's not forget all the epic clutch moments The Cooker had as a Canuck. 2002 playoffs, 2003, 2004... 

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Prusts spear was embarassing because he didn't put enough force into it. Brad deserves it. 

Burrows, Kesler... Both ring of honour guys... Both with so many clutch goals 

Lappy gave me one of my greatest hockey moments ever and I'll forever respect him for that. 

All three of these guys had to be pests to some extent to get us to the cup. Loved all of their game 

As for the cooker, he was a terrific pest when he played for us and barely crossed the line. I fully respect %100 of his game during his canucks career. After that... Not so much and would have to agree with u 

Let's not forget all the epic clutch moments The Cooker had as a Canuck. 2002 playoffs, 2003, 2004... 

As I said.  There are parts to each players game that I did not respect.  I’m not saying they weren’t good players, contributors and that they were routinely dirty players.

lappierre i just didn’t like but that’s me.

prust I lost all respect for during his time here.  He could have chosen a more respectable way of dealing with Marchand.  Instead, as representative of the Canucks he lowered the standard by that play.  Any other assessment is homerism imo.

On 2018-11-03 at 2:16 PM, xereau said:

Part of the system entails the Canucks lodging a formal complain to the DOP(e)S on the play.  Sometimes the DOP(e)S initiate a review themselves.  I think the best action would have been crushing his skull with knuckles his next shift myself...

I thought this is why we have Grubs? Doesn't seem to do it much though?

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

... you realize the Bertuzzi incident occurred because the league failed to appropriately penalize a player who concussed Markus Naslund, right? So that is really just another example of how the league lets other teams get away with things at the expense of the Canucks

40 minutes ago, Xanlet said:

... you realize the Bertuzzi incident occurred because the league failed to appropriately penalize a player who concussed Markus Naslund, right? So that is really just another example of how the league lets other teams get away with things at the expense of the Canucks

I forgot that that league was out to get the Canucks.  First rule of any conspiracy is don’t forget about the conspiracy.   

On 2018-11-04 at 7:46 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow.   Thanks for reading my mind and telling me what I am thinking.   When have I said it is acceptable?    What you and others seem to be missing is the team does take care of things.   A few of you seem to think somehow the Canucks are treated differently by other teams and by officials than any other team and that the players on the Canucks do not do enough to address on ice transgressions.   

I am a Canuck fan too.   I just find the rhetoric that somehow the Canucks are treated unfairly by "the league" something kids would invoke.   I am not asking for anyone to like it when a player gets a dirty hit - I sure don't like it at all.   However, I do know that between the players themselves and the league, I find on balance the Canucks and the rest tend to balance out just fine.   No question better officiating would benefit hockey but it isn't bad just for the Canucks....even if that is all you care about, I sure you cannot think it is biased against your team and your team alone.  

Now you have changed your tune to wanting better and more consistent officiating - I am all there on that one too.    That is far different than where the thread started.

Well somebody had to use your mind for something seeing that it wasn’t currently in use.

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I forgot that that league was out to get the Canucks.  First rule of any conspiracy is don’t forget about the conspiracy.   

Calling everything that people allege is a conspiracy is a conspiracy to delegitimization legitimate conspiracies.  I have for sure data that that effort is financed by a conspiracy of the Koch Brothers and George Soros.

Too many sports have had too many scandals in the officiating to think that the NHL is immune.  Oh well, I guess those scandals were just more conspiracies... especially when a guy like Colin Campbell is involved.  How the heck did he keep his job after firing a ref because that ref didn’t act in a way that favoured Campbell’s son - which was all revealed in court and embarrassed the NHL?

On November 4, 2018 at 10:12 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Not really, you just have to be in the right position. 

After the debacle below, he was promoted to : “Colin John Campbell is a Canadian former professional ice hockey defenceman, coach and the former Senior Vice President and current Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations for the National Hockey League.”  Wikipedi

A taste of Colin Campbell’s impartiality:  

Good point. Good enough that I expect you won't receive a response.

18 hours ago, arsenalian said:

Did you miss 2011? Most who witnessed that have good reason to think Canucks get the “officiating shaft”. Yes it goes both ways, but sure seems to me other teams get away with some more blatant penalties, that the Canucks sure don’t. It’s gotten better since 2011, but yes there definitely has been bias since the Auger incident

18 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I didn't like thoe officiating in 2011 either nor did I like the coaching decision to let the officiating handle the situations.    I think Boston got away with what the Canucks could equally get away with

Yes, so you keep saying,  but do you have any actual evidence that supports your opinion? You mean like when the Canucks decided to stand up for themselves on a California road trip and ended up playing 3 on 5 for half of a couple of games?

but if you are going to invoke 2011, and Auger, why not invoke Bertuzzi and Moore while you are at it?

You keep quoting the Bert/Moore incident. You do realize that both of these players injured other players with dirty plays, right? The difference is that one received massive league discipline for their actions and the other did not. One was a Canuck and one was not. How does this support your position that the Canucks get a fair shake from the league?

32 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Good point. Good enough that I expect you won't receive a response.

You got me, a random guy on the internet quotes another random Twitter post and it proves the conspiracy.    Do you work for the GOP by chance?

18 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Er, no.  Rome.

Oh, so as long as no-one is allowed to invoke precedent, you win, huh?  Some people bend over backwards so far they get their nose up their own butts, Rob.  I have for far too long watched how Vancouver talent is not protected by the officials nor the league discipline.  Then Vancouver employed players to make life safer for their talent.  Then the league made it all but impossible to do that.  Then they made it a finable  offence for coaches or management to point out what was so clearly happening. If the league was honest, why would they have to ban comments and complaints?  So now we have a situation where Boeser and Pettersson have bullseyes painted on their jerseys and nobody does anything.  The league now has a monopoly on justice and they invoke it to serve their short term financial interests.  All those players with careers cut short, and their lives made miserable by injuries they should never have had to endure are just the price those who run the league are willing to employ to tilt the table.

1 minute ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Er, no.  Rome.

Oh, so as long as no-one is allowed to invoke precedent, you win, huh?  Some people bend over backwards so far they get their nose up their own butts, Rob.  I have for far too long watched how Vancouver talent is not protected by the officials nor the league discipline.  Then Vancouver employed players to make life safer for their talent.  Then the league made it all but impossible to do that.  Then they made it a finable  offence for coaches or management to point out what was so clearly happening. If the league was honest, why would they have to ban comments and complaints?  So now we have a situation where Boeser and Pettersson have bullseyes painted on their jerseys and nobody does anything.  The league now has a monopoly on justice and they invoke it to serve their short term financial interests.  All those players with careers cut short, and their lives made miserable by injuries they should never have had to endure are just the price those who run the league are willing to employ to tilt the table.

You clearly believe there is a conspiracy against the Vancouver Canucks.   This is big news and should be something you can get support from many news media.

As far as EP and Boeser, guess what....they are two of the best players on the team.   In hockey that = having a bullseye.   Look at ANY other team's best players and they take far more than the average number of aggressive plays.   That is how hockey works.   It is a game of intimidation and skill.   That is nature of the game.   Like other body contact sports, there is an element of trying to make your opponent fearful.   The game has done a lot to clean up hits that injure (or attempt to) but isn't perfect yet.   I content that this is equally bad across the league but a few of you seem convinced Vancouver is being singled out for harsh treatment by both the league in general and their employee refs specifically.   Further, you claim the Canuck players do nothing to dissuade this "open season" thus allowing the conspiracy to be successful.

You can call me whatever names you wish or imply I have no brain or whatever you like above but I will never agree with you, and this is a discussion board, that such a conspiracy exists or the Canucks as a team don't play pretty much as any other team in the league plays and, on balance, it all evens out.   If you want to keep discussing the point in some hope that I will change my mind, knock yourself out.   Insults make it more interesting so looking forward to your new ones on that front too.    :)

Ps - a finable offence - is that where Fin hugs you or ???? 

32 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

So now we have a situation where Boeser and Pettersson have bullseyes painted on their jerseys

Watch how this guy Horvat, jealous about EP's success, tries to take both EP and Boeser out.   Luckily EP sees him coming and throws him to the ice.   NHL is investigating - my guess EP gets two games.

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Honestly, Zepp, this is a cop out.

What IS your reply to this?  It's a legitimate statement.

I watched that all playout...some of it at the rink.   No one said "conspiracy against"...those are your words.  "Lack of accountability" is more like it.  This league has been failing to adequately address matters for years and it's still a work in progress.  Any other workplace would have it done by now but the ability to let things slide and explain them away is a huge injustice to the players who'll be hurt by way of that.

I was at the Avs game and was noticing a lot of stuff that isn't just hockey...it's dirty.  They were embarrassed by Calgary and it was going that way again so, obviously, emotion was taking over.  That has to be kept in check...it's anger management stuff.

Please quit doing this...using ridiculous diversions to avoid answering questions.  

And just noticed that post, above.  I give up, you're desperate.  I generally respect your opinion (still do), just not when you throw out this garbage.  I'll wait to see if you respond in a serious way or not.  Speaks volumes when you don't....

Archived