The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks displaying a model rebuild plan

Sergei Shirokov

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Interesting thought......if Vancouver had the 3rd pick, would they have picked him up still?

I think I recall someone asking Benning if he had the first overall pick if he still would’ve picked Petterson and he said yes. Good call Jim (although I thought that answer was to be lip service to back up the selection where we drafted). He knew just as Petey knew when he was 5.

24 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I honestly think that this is a right type of rebuild model that every team should follow.  They shouldn't allow their picks/young players who are not ready for NHL to be thrown in the wolves and sign veterans as a placeholder until their picks are ready.   If veterans wouldn't sign with Vanocuver, you trade an extra 2nd/3rd/4th round pick for a ready NHLers or veterans to help us out, ie: Dorsett, Baertschi, etc.   It results in a fewer picks but it's who you pick counts, that's where scouting comes in.   It takes patience and vision to work together for good.   Why rush your own prospects?   It helps you with the cap space if young players are deserving of a rich contract.   I also think that a short-term 2-year at a high price ie: Vrbata, Miller, Eriksson, etc. to hold the fort and to teach their ready young players how to play the game of hockey hard, i.e.: Horvat, Virtenan, etc. when they lack a depth for injuries.   Once the phase 1 is complete which ended as soon as last season, you start a phase 2, targeting bottom hockey players UFA to hold a fort until their bottom AHLers are ready for 3rd or 4th line role, that's how you keep the cost low.   Phase 3 coming once their recent picks make the team within 2 years.

Once you keep the cost down, you reward the higher payday for Boeser, Petterson, and others later who will deserve that contract so that their young players in 2021/2022 season and players coming in ELC in 2021 would not be able to demand higher salary that Petterson potentially will get until 2024/25 season, see Nylanders fiasco and even until then, they would not even have their control as a leverage because Petterson will make the ELC players coming off 2024 look good and give them a modest raise that will not hamstring the Canucks due to cap space for a bridge contract and play different line to prove that they can play hockey without dependence on Petterson for stats padding.    By the time Petterson long contract expires as a UFA, you would hope that he would resign with us, and not bolt aka Tavares.   If he bolts, you would still have cap space room to sign its own players with a long term with higher pay scale proving that he can play without Petterson and the cycle goes on and still have room to retain a potential championship team without losing their players to cap restraint aka Chicago.   

If you allow all young players to play in once, they will demand a higher pay salary at once, hurting the team as whole to the point where they cannot attract a free agent with a  reasonable salary.   Benning has it right, slow cooking their own players to the point where they cannot have the leverage of a higher salary as a RFA.   

I agree - and I think this is why they called it a "transition" - so people would not get carried away attempting to apply cookie-cutter #proper-rebuild concepts - ie teardown mentality - to this team's transition.   That was not really realistic and it's not necessarily a 'superior' approach for lots of reasons.

10 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

So Kesler demanding a trade is some how tied to a rebuild?  Yet no other significant roster prices were moved that year and the twins were just starting a 3 year deal. Then the rebuilding team goes out at has a 101 pt season and makes the playoffs. 

Kesler wanted out because the team was going to rebuild. Garrison was also moved and Booth bought out. Three vets out first year. But moving Bieksa and lack the following year marked the start of the rebuild to you?

You seem to be ignoring the part: in order to rebuild you need something to rebuild with. They got lucky that season making the playoffs. As they moved more and more veterans out it would get tougher and key injuries would play a big role. But year 1 two rookies made the roster and four other rookies would get shots. Year 2 three more rookies made the opening roster and seven others would get a look.

Honest question: What did you think they meant by "transition to a younger team"?

Again, just because you didn't get the rebuild you wanted (tanking) doesn't mean they weren't rebuilding. Trading for already developed prospects was part of rebuilding as we really had none in Utica NHL worthy. Their actions have been consistent since taking over. Move some vets out, sign some ufa's, and trade for young partially developed prospects that could possibly step right in. Every year same actions. You simply choose to ignore those actions because they weren't the tank job you wanted.

12 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

If you're suggesting Demko's not ready yet, I'd agree.  If you're suggesting Demko and DiPietro are not a solid tandem in the pipeline, I completely disagree.

Definitely suggesting Demko isn't ready yet. What I'm more suggesting regarding the other part is, maybe they pan out maybe they don't, they're definitely 2 to keep an eye on though that's for sure. But Demko didn't stand out like he's an All Star type goalie in the pre season in my eyes, unlike what Brock or EP did in their rookie pre season, they stood out and you could see something special was there, I didn't get that vibe from Demko.

get lucky and draft a generational player with the 5th overall pick.  Its like we won the lottery and didn't even know it.  At least that is what it looks like right now -  time will tell of course

seriously though, the real way to do it is to get a GM who can draft, or recuses himself from the draft and hires people who know how to draft.  JB knows how to draft.  

On 11/3/2018 at 3:28 PM, luckylager said:

While I appreciate the sentiment and optimistic outlook, I feel like there are a number of very important things that need to happen before we can relish in the glow of a successful rebuild... and ultimately playoff success.

Goaltending proving itself as elite. I'm bummed for Demko, really wishing him health. He must be choked.

Dipietro could be a show stopper but is still a long ways out.

Defence (cha cha cha) Defence (cha cha cha)

Quoting myself because @VancouverHabitant finds it hilarious..

Dude, we let in 5 goals. My points stand

Goaltending and defence

12 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

He has repeatedly said they had EP rated "very high", and it's known that at least two teams had him rated #1.  Brackett said they were all onboard a full year before the draft.

They knew.

Doubt they knew he was as good as he is.

they knew he had the potential - but so do almost every top draft pick.

if u want to believe that go ahead - it makes a good story

Making the playoffs should not be the end or even a target.

This division is weakening as teams area aging out.

It is fun to watch the young kids play, I wish there were more than 3 but that just shows another 2 years of rebuilding is needed before the build process can start.

Regardless of more goals being scored there are more being scored against, goalie equipment is smaller and making an impact. The defence needs help and the team needs at least 2 or 3 more good draft picks, D and F.

Then Benning has to start trying to convert some of the 50+ draft picks not on the team into future assets, picks or prospects so the re-tool can start in 7 years when Bo is around 30.

This rebuild should have started 3 or 4 years ago, now the team might be competing for a playoff spot because other teams are just getting old and bad

4 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Making the playoffs should not be the end or even a target.

This division is weakening as teams area aging out.

It is fun to watch the young kids play, I wish there were more than 3 but that just shows another 2 years of rebuilding is needed before the build process can start.

Regardless of more goals being scored there are more being scored against, goalie equipment is smaller and making an impact. The defence needs help and the team needs at least 2 or 3 more good draft picks, D and F.

Then Benning has to start trying to convert some of the 50+ draft picks not on the team into future assets, picks or prospects so the re-tool can start in 7 years when Bo is around 30.

This rebuild should have started 3 or 4 years ago, now the team might be competing for a playoff spot because other teams are just getting old and bad

What would you have done differently?

45 minutes ago, Baggins said:

What would you have done differently?

Most people wanted the Canucks to Trade Edler and Tanev for picks. Maybe trade Brandon Sutter? Also  thought Vanek was worth a 1st and 3rd.  The Canucks still need to ice an NHL roster for 82 games. You can't  just  send your prospects to the slaughter house. Go see Toronto, Edmonton, Florida, Arizona, or Buffalo's rebuild plan. Who wants to spend a decade rebuilding a team? 

Archived