The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recent Canuck Draft Picks - Early Season Results

Rob_Zepp

23 minutes ago, nzan said:

I was the same size at that age - from experience, 200+ is quite achievable.

Perhaps, although genetics are a big factor.  For his height, I think the +185 range would be fine.  Adding ++ lbs can have a negative effect on a player; especially when skating is his #1 asset.

10 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Appologies to all.  I did
my best to respond to
Guards but he imbedded his response to me in my post. So To follow if you care to bother, refer to my previous post.  Phatty...

16 hours ago,  Phat Fingerssaid: 

Not defensive at all, just enjoying your nonsensical approach to analytics. It’s always good for a laugh. 

To the below... no need to change my above statement, it still stands, dude you are hilarious!  Don’t stop

being you, you insane poster.  The comic relief is needed.  

Not analytics at all. Just the perception that the team has unlimited time and contracts for development, 1rst round picks are supposed to be superior to their peers so development to star level or even just playing in the NHL should be shorter, the longer it takes the less likelihood the pick becomes core player.

To the below??????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

You know there is a google right? Pat Quinn has 179 losses to JB’s 150.  

Bud Poille had a way higher losing percentage and way worse single season loss totals.  I am sure there is way more to dispute this. But factually incorrect. If you meant to say in the loser point era, ley me know, I will go back and look at those GM’s. Didn’t bother this time. 

I am not adjusting the totals, as I don’t have a fomula, feel free to do so. 

Well he does have the most losses and fewest wins, take into account they didn't have loser points for awhile

Why was 2014 JB’s best draft year???  It was likely his worst.  Trymakin scuttled home.  He had it made, he could have bargained for a better deal. He went crazy Russian and bolted. Jake hasn’t yet lived up to his position. He is a Jim Sandlack 2.0 right now... tantalizing package, but hasn’t put it together yet. It’s not motivation it’s processing speed. This is why I want to see him on EP40’s wing. EP40 is smart enough to think for the both of them, Jake is strong enough to aid EP40 in his one liabilty. 

EP40’s draft year has been by far his best. He basically drafted a Mathews or McDavid level player at the fifth spot in a weak draft year.  No generational talent  they said, JB said ‘hold

my beer.’  

2014 was his best draft year, would MG get credit for the rest as well? Just about all that year played in the NHL by draft +1 year, so MG was a better talent evaluator? Or was it the scouting department that Linden/Benning got rid of that should get credit?

To the below...  So you agree that Pettersson is a fantastic pick, absolutely franchise changing moment that I haven’t seen since Bure suited up for his first season, but IMO even better. 

As for the second statement????  

We we had a Greztky, Kayira, Federov and a Subban.  What point are you trying to make?????

Pettersson looks outstanding, you know he is the second Pettersson we have had the rights too.

I dont need to ‘check’ your posts!  If you meant to say that defenders and goalies take longer to develop, then say that in the post I quoted or add it as a oops.  I can admit an omission or error, it isn’t hard.  

But, but, but.... why a but?  Either goalies and defenders take longer or they don’t. Why are your expectations okay, but, as many others indicate, when they don’t support your position, it’s somehow not okay. Quixotic postions can not be supported by the position itself. Tell me why, reasonably and logically.  Again there is an unsaid If in this paragraph.  If OJ doesn’t develop, he won’t be very good... I would agree with that statement for every single NHL prospect.  If you are attempting state the obvious as relavatory thesis, it doesn’t work. 

Check my posts, I almost always add "except Dmen and goalies" when discussing AHL tenures BUT 1rst round and top 10 selected dmen usually can at least play in the NHL within 3 years of being drafted, this team needs defence depth and OJ isn't in the top 10 of the team's depth chart, Biega and Brisesbois were called up. He is getting prime PP time in Utica, most of his points are on the PP and he is still -8 the worst on the team, in a nut shell it doesn't look good. Cam Barker and Gudbranson come to mind of top D picks that didn't meet expectations 

To the below?  Have your ever seen them play hockey?? Cause if you had, there is very little to compare.  If anything, I wish Hughes had J Subbans shot, but in every other facet of the game, Hughes is simply and totally a better player. 

The comparison is easy where the two are similar, both can skate, both play defence, both played against large men, Hughes has superior skill, both have/had need to work on Dzone play vs larger men Hughes wasn't even considered in my post only up to 2016.

To the below paragraph, in a complete and epic failure of writing an argument where your finale is to say ‘If he doesn’t play in the NHL this year.’  Has that happened?  Why, are you Nostradamus?  There is a whole heap hockey to play. 

I would completely agree with your statement, ‘If he can’t crack this lineup...’. Why, this lineup is playing competitive hockey.  By the season’s end, this lineup wont be together, some will have been traded or injured. I would expect OJ to have some NHL games under his belt by the end of the year. It would be disappointing if he doesn’t earn a call up or two. 

If your freaking out because a 20y/o AHL rookie hasn’t made the NHL in 16 games, go take some meds cause you

is cray cray :) 

Then to go to the ‘Bust’ If all your speculation proved right for once.  Are you a fan, do you need help?  I come on here to de stress, but are you trapped in a a bunker somewhere?  Should we send EMS?  

Which 16 games, in 2016/2017, 2017/2018 or 2018/2019? What I do hold to is that if he doesn't play in the NHL this year, if he can't crack this lineup then he is probably not going to be a top 4 dman like expected by management and most of the dmen taken in the 1rst round that year. In that he could be considered a bust

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:
Appologies to all.  I did
my best to respond to
Guards but he imbedded his response to me in my post. So To follow if you care to bother, refer to my previous post.  Phatty...

16 hours ago,  Phat Fingerssaid: 

Not defensive at all, just enjoying your nonsensical approach to analytics. It’s always good for a laugh. 

To the below... no need to change my above statement, it still stands, dude you are hilarious!  Don’t stop

being you, you insane poster.  The comic relief is needed.  

Not analytics at all. Just the perception that the team has unlimited time and contracts for development, 1rst round picks are supposed to be superior to their peers so development to star level or even just playing in the NHL should be shorter, the longer it takes the less likelihood the pick becomes core player.

To the below??????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

You know there is a google right? Pat Quinn has 179 losses to JB’s 150.  

Bud Poille had a way higher losing percentage and way worse single season loss totals.  I am sure there is way more to dispute this. But factually incorrect. If you meant to say in the loser point era, ley me know, I will go back and look at those GM’s. Didn’t bother this time. 

I am not adjusting the totals, as I don’t have a fomula, feel free to do so. 

Well he does have the most losses and fewest wins, take into account they didn't have loser points for awhile

Why was 2014 JB’s best draft year???  It was likely his worst.  Trymakin scuttled home.  He had it made, he could have bargained for a better deal. He went crazy Russian and bolted. Jake hasn’t yet lived up to his position. He is a Jim Sandlack 2.0 right now... tantalizing package, but hasn’t put it together yet. It’s not motivation it’s processing speed. This is why I want to see him on EP40’s wing. EP40 is smart enough to think for the both of them, Jake is strong enough to aid EP40 in his one liabilty. 

EP40’s draft year has been by far his best. He basically drafted a Mathews or McDavid level players at the fifth spot in a weak draft year.  No generational talent  they said, JB said ‘hold

my beer.’  

2014 was his best draft year, would MG get credit for the rest as well? Just about all that year played in the NHL by draft +1 year, so MG was a better talent evaluator? Or was it the scouting department that Linden/Benning got rid of that should get credit?

To the below...  So you agree that Pettersson is a fantastic pick, absolutely franchise changing moment that I haven’t seen since Bure suited up

for his first season, but IMO even better. 

As for the second statement????  

We we had a Greztky, Kayira, Federov and a Subban.  What point are you trying to make?????

Pettersson looks outstanding, you know he is the second Pettersson we have had the rights too.

I dont need to ‘check’ your posts!  If you meant to say that defenders and goalies take longer to develop, then say that in the post I quoted or add it as a oops.  I can admit an omission or error, it isn’t hard.  

But, but, but.... why a but?  Either goalies and defenders take longer or they don’t. Why your expectations are okay but as many others indicate, they don’t support your position, it’s somehow not okay. Quixotic postions can not be supported by the position itself. Tell

me why, reasonably and logically.  Again there is an unsaid If in this paragraph.  If OJ doesn’t develop, he won’t be very good... I would agree with that statement for every single NHL prospect.  If you are attempting state the obvious as relavatory thesis, it doesn’t work. 

Check my posts, I almost always add "except Dmen and goalies" when discussing AHL tenures BUT 1rst round and top 10 selected dmen usually can at least play in the NHL within 3 years of being drafted, this team needs defence depth and OJ isn't in the top 10 of the team's depth chart, Biega and Brisesbois were called up. He is getting prime PP time in Utica, most of his points are on the PP and he is still -8 the worst on the team, in a nut shell it doesn't look good. Cam Barker and Gudbranson come to mind of top D picks that didn't meet expectations 

To the below?  Have your ever seen them play hockey?? Cause if you had, there is very little to compare.  If anything, I wish Hughes had J Subbans shot, but in every other facet of the game, Hughes is simply and totally a better player. 

The comparison is easy where the two are similar, both can skate, both play defence, both played against large men, Hughes has superior skill, both have/had need to work on Dzone play vs larger men Hughes wasn't even considered in my post only up to 2016.

To the below paragraph, in a complete and epic failure of writing an argument where your finale is to say ‘If he doesn’t play in the NHL this year.’  Has that happened?  Why are you Nostradamus?  There is a whole heap hockey to play. 

I would completely agree with your statement, ‘If he can’t crack this lineup...’. Why, this lineup is playing competitive hockey.  By the season’s end, this lineup

wont be together, some will have been traded or injured. 

If your freaking out because a 20y/o AHL rookie hasn’t made the NHL in 16 games, go take some meds cause you

is cray cray :) 

Then to go to the ‘Bust’ If all your speculation proved right for once.  Are you a fan, do you need help?  I come on here to de stress, but are you trapped in a a bunker somewhere?  Should we send EMS?  

Which 16 games, in 2016/2017, 2017/2018 or 2018/2019? What I do hold to is that if he doesn't play in the NHL this year, if he can't crack this lineup then he is probably not going to be a top 4 dman like expected by management and most of the dmen taken in the 1rst round that year. In that he could be considered a bust

Why doesn’t he just quote Burke from last draft.  “If a top ten pick isn’t playing in the NHL by draft plus three they are generally considered a bust”.  That might help his thesis.  Of course one could counter with a large pile of very good to great players that took longer, or just consider the source “ that’s a small body gentleman, a small body”. Ha ha.  Go for it Gaurdian, either way somebodies going to eat crow eventually.

14 minutes ago, yippykyeh said:

Olli Juolevi as of last night is tied for 3rd place among all rookies for scoring with 11 pts.  1st among rookie dmen.  Looking forward to seeing him suit up next season.

0.79 ppg is a nice start for sure. Some people have very unrealistic expectations about development, particularly defensemen. Look at Dahlin, the best d prospect in a decade potentially and he's currently sitting at 1 g 4 a's. OJ's doing just fine. 

Archived