The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US Midterms Tuesday

DonLever

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Sad. Ojeda lost his race. The guy was literally a veteran, Republicans love that $&!#, and he even gave out his cell number and encouraged people to call him to discuss the issues. But he has a D next to his name, so by default he's unworthy of many voters endorsement

Republicans love a lot of $&!# that would they turn on if it went against God, guns, and Trump. See FBI.

10 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Sad. Ojeda lost his race. The guy was literally a veteran, Republicans love that $&!#, and he even gave out his cell number and encouraged people to call him to discuss the issues. But he has a D next to his name, so by default he's unworthy of many voters endorsement

Voting along party lines is no surprise. Hell you live in Canada you should be well aware of this.

33 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

See you agree little will be done for the people

To whatever extent they can slow down or stop the Trump agenda, such as, if they can protect health care and protect the rights of people who are not white, then I would see that as, for the people. And if they can ultimately go on to win the next election and change the future from being about "White America First" to a country that embraces civility, multiculturalism and would vote in Obama for President, then that is also, for the people. 

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

What is the criteria for a "big win", or "blue wave?" Because the consensus on CNN is that this was not a blue wave, as I expected it wouldn't be. And they also lost senate seats, so.. Kind of a two steps forward, one step back sort of deal.

the criteria is simple, control, and who has it.

All that wave stuff is just stuff to whip up the base, it means nothing. 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think you're correct, in that TR was framing it as something of a loss when it's anything but. However, it isn't a "big" win. (and yes, people were hoping that the Dems would somehow take the Senate as well, while installing a few more Blue Governors in Red states)

If I had to characterize it is sporting terms, I'd call it a "shootout" win, or a last minute field goal, where the winner just barely covers....

they've forced Trump to have to negotiate to get anything done, so assuming they can handle that correctly they can get some real progress out of that. As long as they appear reasonable to most swing voters this is a good thing to be in control of the House agenda. 

Of course Trump will try to say they are blocking "his" agenda but thats fine if most people see a particular issue as idiotic. 

3 minutes ago, aliboy said:

To whatever extent they can slow down or stop the Trump agenda, such as, if they can protect health care and protect the rights of people who are not white, then I would see that as, for the people. And if they can ultimately go on to win the next election and change the future from being about "White America First" to a country that embraces civility, multiculturalism and would vote in Obama for President, then that is also, for the people. 

I think black unemployment rate is the lowest it's ever been or has been in a long time. I'm not debating that racism exists however many people are racist not just white people. I agree Trump has said many dumb things but I'm not sure his administration is taking away the rights of people that are not white.

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think black unemployment rate is the lowest it's ever been or has been in a long time. I'm not debating that racism exists however many people are racist not just white people. I agree Trump has said many dumb things but I'm not sure his administration is taking away the rights of people that are not white.

The fact that the United States tracks employment and unemployment by race is an indication that racial barriers and lines in the sand still exist.

I totally agree with the statement that racism is an issue that plagues every race, not just Caucasians. I think the Trump administration is more concerned with stripping away the average American's rights regardless of skin pigmentation or facial structure. They are siphoning millions, if not billions, of dollars to the wealthy. However, seeing as how the majority of his base are uninformed, classless, jingoistic blue collar Caucasians, it's not remiss to think that he's intent on pandering to them whenever possible.  

Damn, I was really pulling for Ted Cruz to lose. 

Democrats taking the house is a pretty good consolation prize though. Especially considering quite a few of the newly elected ones are young, should have promising careers and have the potential to take over for aging leadership.

53 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they've forced Trump to have to negotiate to get anything done, so assuming they can handle that correctly they can get some real progress out of that. As long as they appear reasonable to most swing voters this is a good thing to be in control of the House agenda. 

Of course Trump will try to say they are blocking "his" agenda but thats fine if most people see a particular issue as idiotic. 

I think most people with a modicum of intelligence will understand that blocking Trump's "agenda" is, in most cases, the right thing to do.

3 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Expect Dotard re-elected 2020. If you can't score a big political win in the midterm against "the most divisive and dangerous" president in U.S. history, then that doesn't bode well for your party.. 

Please reword that.  As evidenced by my ballot, I'm not a tribal idiot.  ;)

In 2010, the Democrats won by the skin of their teeth some of the Senate seats that they lost yesterday.

They won the expected amount of seats in the House.

36 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

There are too many people in Texas who love machine guns and bacon.

36 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Democrats taking the house is a pretty good consolation prize though. Especially considering quite a few of the newly elected ones are young, should have promising careers and have the potential to take over for aging leadership.

Some semblance of balance has been restored to the US government. My hope is that the Democrats try to institute real change to the best of their ability with this new opportunity rather than just providing a counterbalance to a clearly corrupt and vile administration.

41 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I think pretty much everyone who doesn't wear cowboy boots to a wedding, christening, or a funeral was hoping for Ted Cruz to lose.....

19 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

In 2010, the Democrats won by the skin of their teeth some of the Senate seats that they lost yesterday.

This.  The Senate in 2018 was always going to be a hard egg to crack.  There was hope.

The party that may be sweating bullets in the 2020 Senate elections is the GOP.  They have the majority of senate seats that are up for re-election in that cycle, with a number of them potentially being competitive.  Remember that the moment Susan Collins (R-Maine) voted for the frat boy, it unleashed millions in fundraising that will go to her opponent.  As of Oct. 7, it sat at $3.4 million ( Crowdfunding Campaign to Unseat Susan Collins in 2020 Surges Past $3 Million ). 

55 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think most people with a modicum of intelligence will understand that blocking Trump's "agenda" is, in most cases, the right thing to do.

how big is a modicum?

In a few days I think more people will come to see this as a very positive thing. Being in control of at least one part of congress is always a good thing. 

45 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I think that in a way, you're doing exactly what you are asking others not to do.

Personally, I don't see vehement opposition to Donald Trump making one a "tribal idiot". I didn't have a big issue with the election(s) of Reagan, Bush Sr., or even Dubya's first term. (Don't get me started on his re-election, though <_<)

IMHO, there is no greater need for the US (and the world for that matter) than Donald Trump's ouster. And I don't believe that makes me "tribal", nor an "idiot".

Archived