TheGuardian_

Is There A Player Pettersson Can Be Compared To?

Rate this topic

I have several players mentioned when describing Pettersson and there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

Sakic, Gretzky, Yzerman, Datsuyk, … lofty names for sure and only time will tell if justified.

But

I can't really decide myself, he is unique. The game isn't just slow for him, really good players seem to suddenly slow down when he is around, they hit less, their stick handling weakens, passing skills and IQ diminish. Really good players just don't look right.

He isn't lightning fast, not over powering or vastly superior stick handling skills, the closest I can come up with is like he is playing the game already knowing what to do, like he played it 3 seconds before the rest.

Gretzky combined with Larinov and Sedin telepathy, passing, shooting, being in the right place. I'm sure there is a player I am forgetting, Cyclone Taylor was said to be like that, he played one game and everyone else played hockey after him.:)

Does he see the future?:unsure:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

FWIW, Pettersson said that he likes to model his game like Backstrom, but I'm not sure if his play is similar to him.

Datsyuk's the closest I think, but really think he's his own player and there's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1

I have said it many times.  If you watch him dangle guys and his ability to slow the game down he is similar to Mario.   EP is not as big but he is tall.   He has long strides which is like Mario as well 

• Upvote 2

I think the closest is probably Sakic or Sundin. 

Datsuyk is more of a puck controller like forsberg. Petterssen can’t protect the puck as well as Datsuyk or Forsberg but he seems like he doesn’t need to. You can get the puck off of him or get him to relinquish possession but the puck usually ends up in the back of the net when he does relinquish control. He orchestrates something somehow. 

He really is quite unique.

if there is a petterson greztky comparison all I can say to that is he's more like gretzky than nedved was . no Nintendo pretendo's with EP . he is his own player . there was one player who was comparable , dale hawerchuck, but even then the #s didnt.

He reminds me of this skinny kid that tore up the SHL last year.....I think his name was Alien. I don't care who he reminds us of as long as nobody comes back to take him home.

Image result for gif of alien entering craft

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2