The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Duchene, Senators Players trash team, coach in Uber

HerrDrFunk

On 11/6/2018 at 8:22 AM, xereau said:

Its the people that are really nice in private, don't ever say a bad word about others, encourage all around them, that make the best friends.

Ha , I htought you were going tosay, "have the sharpest knives"

On 11/6/2018 at 12:56 PM, poetica said:

The team has issues, everyone already knew that. Is anyone really shocked by what was said, though? Seriously, people are making a big deal out of what amounts to guys privately complaining about their boss. Nothing they said was really out of line with what anyone else says about their bosses. Like any other business, the boss/organization needs to deal with what was said but hopefully they'll do so in a meaningfully way beyond just punishing the players for saying how they really feel.

In truth, the players are the victims here. (They were also monumentally dumb. But who among us isn't sometimes?) The Uber driver had no business recording them without their knowledge or consent (Apparently it's even against Uber company policy.) and certainly had no right to release the video for likes and 15 minutes of fame.

The players were stupid and need to be smarter going forward and watch who they say stuff like that around. But as for the organization, unless they can argue that what the players said is untrue, the fact that they said it isn't their biggest problem.

Was it definitely released by the driver?

would it not be fed back to the office, and could it not have been released by someone else?

It amounts to security footage, no?

Perhaps, had these wealthy young men tipped their driver accordingly then he wouldn't have released that video. They made it known to the driver that they were professional athletes and yet they stiffed that driver on the gratuity. Who wouldn't be pissed off when they're working for a pittance and a group of trash-talking millionaires who would never even notice a few extra dollars decide to skunk him on the tip. Those extra few dollars make all the difference to people like that Uber driver. To people like that group of Ottawa Senators, it's less than they could probably dig out of their shoes. 

Good on that driver for exposing those players for the cheap, spoiled brats that they are. I'd have done the same thing.

On 11/9/2018 at 6:55 PM, lmm said:

Was it definitely released by the driver?

would it not be fed back to the office, and could it not have been released by someone else?

It amounts to security footage, no?

Bit late in replying so you might already know the answers, but yes. The driver admitted that he released it.

And while Uber allows and even encourages drivers to use cameras for security reasons and Arizona is a "one party" state so there's no problem with the recording itself, there is a big problem with him releasing it. The footage wasn't proof of a crime. It was just some guys talking crap about their boss. Big deal. It was a violation of their rights and Uber policy for the driver to have released the footage, which is why he was fired.

James Sparklin, the Arizona Uber Driver that released the Ottawa Senators video, told the Canadian Press that he deeply regrets his decision to release the video.

"I am extremely sorry for what happened and it is not right…I never meant harm on any of the players involved, the coaching staff involved, the owner involved, the town that was involved…I wasn’t thinking at all.”

Sparklin says he destroyed a second video that was recorded before the drive where they discussed the fact that the Senators were breaking Uber’s XL passenger rules.

"I never made a single penny off this video. Not one cent," he said. "I lost a lot — my income, driving Uber, my reputation. It has brought great shame to my family."

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

James Sparklin, the Arizona Uber Driver that released the Ottawa Senators video, told the Canadian Press that he deeply regrets his decision to release the video.

"I am extremely sorry for what happened and it is not right…I never meant harm on any of the players involved, the coaching staff involved, the owner involved, the town that was involved…I wasn’t thinking at all.”

Sparklin says he destroyed a second video that was recorded before the drive where they discussed the fact that the Senators were breaking Uber’s XL passenger rules.

"I never made a single penny off this video. Not one cent," he said. "I lost a lot — my income, driving Uber, my reputation. It has brought great shame to my family."

Good. Make him pay. Terrible choice he made to release that. What the heck did he expect ??? 

On 11/10/2018 at 9:07 PM, VancouverIteinSanDiego said:

Just a FYI on tipping on Uber you tip on the app after.ride ends so normally I don't tip til next day when I get a notification that I remember to do, and for my rides it's always been $1 $2 $3 nothing crazy 

That's cheap. Living in the states as you do, any service industry worker in a tipping job must know you're a foreigner by the way you tip. Actual Americans are typically much more generous than leaving 1 to 3 lousy dollars as a gratuity. 

FYI, cheapness is not a virtue. 

On 11/6/2018 at 8:22 AM, xereau said:

Its the people that are really nice in private, don't ever say a bad word about others, encourage all around them, that make the best friends.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. -Eleanor Roosevelt  ;)

Archived