Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Red Wings | November 6th, 4:30pm PT | Sportsnet Pacific

Roberts

Vancouver Canucks @ Detroit Red Wings  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will win the game?

• Vancouver Canucks
    • Detroit Red Wings
  2. 2. How many goals will the Vancouver Canucks score this game?

• 0 goals
    • 1-2 goals
    • 3-4 goals
    • 5-6 goals
    • 7+ goals
  3. 3. How many goals will the Detroit Red Wings score this game?

• 0 goals
    • 1-2 goals
    • 3-4 goals
    • 5-6 goals
    • 7+

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/07/2018 at 12:30 AM

Boeser & Borchardt reunited ...lifelong friends impacted by tragic accident visit in Detroit:

cut.jpg

Cole Borchardt grew up down the block from Brock Boeser in Burnsville, Minnesota. The inseparable hockey crazed kids learned, developed and sharpened their skills together.

Were it not for a life-altering accident, they might be battling each other in the NHL today.

On August 6, 2014, four of Boeser's good friends were in an SUV that lost control and rolled, killing Ty Alyea, an old baseball teammate. Three others, Matthew Berger, Tylan Procko and Borchardt, sustained varying injuries, the worst suffered by Borchardt, who was told he'd never walk or talk again.

Monday afternoon in Detroit, Borchardt, aided by a cane, walked down the hallway at the Detroit Red Wings practice facility and gave Boeser a huge hug, telling his friend how much he misses him.

From requiring emergency surgery to relieve pressure on his brain, facing shattered shoulders, a torn ACL, injured spleen and broken wrist, to embracing his lifelong friend.

Unbelievable.

"That's the type of guy Cole is, he's always pushed to overcome obstacles," said Boeser, proudly. "The belief within the friends and family was that he'd be able to recover somewhat, and once he talked for the first time, that gave us all hope. He's doing amazing."

Boeser was in Slovakia preparing to play for USA at the 2014 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup when the accident happened. Had he been at home, hanging out with his boys during the dog days of summer, he likely would have been with them. Boeser never takes that for granted. 

Written on the four sides of the knob of his sticks is as follows: 8.6.14 TA 6, CB 20, TP 7 MB 31, and Gma2 Gp2 6 with a cross. The date of the incident and initials of all four friends involved are always with Boeser, as are his four grandparents, three of which have passed away. The number 6 appears twice because it was Ty's number and because his dad, Duke, wore 6 when he played as well. Duke, who was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 2010, was involved in a separate car accident when Boeser was a high school freshman, suffering a brain injury. Thankfully he survived the ordeal.

During Borchardt's visit to the Canucks dressing room Monday, he and his mother Heidi saw Cole's initials CB and his number 20 on Boeser's stick for the first time. "That's pretty amazing," said Cole. It was a special moment for the Borchardts and Boeser, who then showed them his stall.

Borchardt was surprised how nice the room was, and also that Boeser still uses black tape on the blade of his stick. Borchardt prefers white and teased Boeser about it. The fleeting moment was over in a heartbeat, but it meant the world to Heidi Borchardt.

"Seeing Cole tease him about his tape, that really took me back," smiled Heidi. "Then seeing what Brock puts on his sticks, that's really special. He mentioned he was doing that when Cole was in the hospital, so it's pretty cool. I'm so proud of him.

"It's been more than four years since the accident, so a lot of Cole's old friends have graduated from college and stuff like that, and you lose touch. So to still have such a good friend, especially one this elite in the NHL, really caring and making this special for Cole, that's very touching."

Before the accident, Boeser and Borchardt played together with Burnsville High, Team Southeast and Burnsville High "A" over two seasons, with Borchardt raking up 99 points to Boeser's 89. The two were always on the same line and Boeser described Borchardt as "a special talent."

cut.jpg

"He was unreal," boasted Boeser. "He was one of the most skilled players I grew up playing with, he easily would have went to play Division 1 if the accident wouldn't have happened."

cut.jpg

The Borchardts now live in Saline, Michigan, a city near Ann Arbor, roughly 45 minutes east of Detroit. They moved from Burnsville a few months ago to be closer to medical professionals helping Cole with his recovery. Reconstructive surgeries to further aid his mobility are in his future, as is (hopefully) a few years at the University of Michigan.

Cole doesn't have a future in the NHL, but his future is filled with immense potential in whatever avenue he chooses.

"He's so sharp and so smart, so there's something out there for him," said Heidi. "He's an incredible kid with a very positive attitude and a lot of it is because of the support he's had from the hockey community, family, and friends like Brock."

cut.jpg

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-brock-boeser/c-301657940

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hard to be consistent when you don't get to play. I'd rather have seen Green give Gaunce the chance to stay on the roll and see how far he can take it. Let his play determine whether or not he sits. And I can't really support the idea that Gaunce's showings the last two games warrant him getting scratched over some of the other forwards. But as I said above, it's probably more about the team than the individual, and Green putting together the lines that he feels will work best for his overall game plan.

I posted that before I realized he was a scratch tonight. I agree with @PhillipBlunt I'd prefer to see him in over Leipsic, but maybe Green thinks he needs the speed tonight and give Leipsic one more look before making any decisions about waivers. 

23 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Maybe. I actually don't find Gaunce's skating to be much of an issue any more when I watch him. Seems more than able to get to the spots he needs to. And actually can have a fair amount of jump at times. He doesn't buzz around like a few of our more "speedy" guys, but he also doesn't seem to fall down as much, or get caught up ice, end up chasing, or out of position and missing assignments (not naming any names here ;)). 

I think you're probably right that it's more about the lines Green wants to utilize in his matchups and game planning, than simply Gaunce being a worse individual option than some of the guys slotting into the lineup ahead of him.

Me too. Although I do want to see Leipsic getting this opportunity. Just wish one didn't have to come at the expense of the other.

Hard to be consistent when you don't get to play. I'd rather have seen Green give Gaunce the chance to stay on the roll and see how far he can take it. Let his play determine whether or not he sits. And I can't really support the idea that Gaunce's showings the last two games warrant him getting scratched over some of the other forwards. But as I said above, it's probably more about the team than the individual, and Green putting together the lines that he feels will work best for his overall game plan.

Hopefully he gets another chance to play and make a case that he deserves to stay with the big club. I don't think you can argue with his results over the two games he's played. I think he's earned at least another game, and hopefully he rotates back in sooner rather than later (and certainly he should play again before he's sent back down to Utica).

With mounting injuries in the NHL and his positive response on the score sheet after his recall, I doubt Gaunce would clear back to Utica. 

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I don't think he has to clear? Pretty sure he is waiver exempt? I don't know the actual rules. 

He is waiver eligible but has already cleared waivers.  He'll have to go back through waivers once he plays 10 NHL games or is on the roster for 30 days.   

Gaunce' performance since his call up warrants a spot in the line up. With that said, I think getting Leipsic in a game here and there is smart to see where he is at and Archie played well as well when he was slotted in. I'm okay with a bit of a rotating lineup for the fringe guys as it is a long road trip and we won't be getting any of our injured forwards back this trip aside from possibly Boeser slotting back in.

All that said I personally would prefer Gaunce over the other two guys as he is capable of playing center and has good underlying numbers.

Also, I predict we roll over Detroit tonight. Team is running on tons of confidence and I expect a bounce back game from Marky.

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

he is not exempt, if he stays longer than 10 games or 30 days (I think), he has to clear

Right... i meant he is waiver exempt if we decide to stash him in the minors immediately. 

If we do that, and he stays in the minors for the majority of the year, he can come up on a recall again but would face waivers if he plays a total 10 games in a season? 

I actually didn’t like Gaunce’s game at all in his first game up, although he ended up scoring the game winning goal. 

He was pretty average against Colorado as well, so I’m not surprised Leipsic’s in. 

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Right... i meant he is waiver exempt if we decide to stash him in the minors immediately. 

If we do that, and he stays in the minors for the majority of the year, he can come up on a recall again but would face waivers if he plays a total 10 games in a season? 

I believe it's per call up.  I'm not sure if there is a length of time he stay in Utica after a call up though.

Archived