The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hawks fire Quennville

VanGnome

12 minutes ago, BobbyClarke said:

Because JQ is a proven winner and started with the Hawks in a similar situation.  JQ will not be out of work for long and that speaks for itself.  

Don't get me wrong, I like Trent, I just like JQ more.

sure but look at what he had to work with. He's got a similar team now talent wise to us, and his record is similar. 

I'd be worried about bringing in another new system etc. at this point, it would be a step back. 

15 minutes ago, Crimson-JH said:

I hope none of the West Coast teams pick him up... especially the Queens and Oilers... :unsure:

AV turned down the King's job.  Quennville would do the same.  That's a team headed to a rebuild.  I could see any top team, that is struggling, going for Quennville or AV though. Are the Oilers doing badly enough yet?

Surprised. I classify Quennville as one of the best coaches in the NHL, have always liked his approach.

I don't think coaching is the issue in Chicago, they need to make a trade that no one wants to make and might cost them a little on the draft pick side to do.

They need to move one of their cornerstone D and reshuffle the deck. Until they do, not much is going to change there.

Dang! Imagine if both Q and AV end up competing for the Seattle job? Have to imagine Quenneville will get scooped up by a team for this season, but he could also just take a little break, collect his $6 million per, and then take that Seattle gig where he's undoubtedly have a ton of control over the on-ice product, helping to build a team from the ground up.

Sportsnet guys talking about how the Bowmans wanted to fire Coach Q going back as far as before their second Cup win, but Quenneville kept winning and they couldn't make the optics work. Still looks like a crazy move, given Q's record and reputation as one of the league's greatest coaches, but apparently Chicago management has been wanting to make this move for years, and with the Hawks' struggles this season, they finally felt they could justify it.

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Surprised. I classify Quennville as one of the best coaches in the NHL, have always liked his approach.

I don't think coaching is the issue in Chicago, they need to make a trade that no one wants to make and might cost them a little on the draft pick side to do.

They need to move one of their cornerstone D and reshuffle the deck. Until they do, not much is going to change there.

He's headed to the Hall of Fame, even if he never coaches again.

30 minutes ago, xereau said:

Paid to the end of 2020 season.  They just reupped him last year, 3 year extension. 

Yikes. I could definately see him kicking up his feet for the rest of the year. Then, like the pretty horned up gal at closing time, he will have his pick of options.

Archived