The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Detroit Red Wings | Nov. 06, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

32 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

However, these specific errors are important.  I've watched every game so far this year and Pouliot and his turnovers directly have caused more goals against than any other Canuck.

That's a cool story - but Pouliot leads the team in a number of telling categories

+6 is tied with Pettersson

On ice goals 5 on 5 goals for per 60 is 4.3 = second to Pettersson.

His on ice goals against is 2.5 per 60 - with 15 players giving up more - a differential of +1.8 = again 2nd best on the team to Pettersson.,

If he has "caused more goals against than any other Canuck" - well he must be bloody unreal when he's not causing goals against, because the objective facts indicate something dramatically different that your 'eye test'.

He has 10 giveaways this year - in 16 games - and 10 takeaways - a dead even with Tanev (in 11 games).

It is absolutely no suprise that stepping up into top 4 minutes he will make a few mistakes, particularly under pressure - and particularly without the benefit of a heavy lifting partner (clearly when he was playing with Stecher, neither of them represented a heavy element on the blueline, but they handled the pressure damn well imo).   People simply have unrealistic  expectations - and selective memories (some people here likely recall all 10 of those giveaways - and little else).

There's a reason Green is leaning heavily on Pouliot - he is driving play as well as anyone else on the blueline, whether people perceive that fact or not.

He and Hutton have been 1a and 1b LHD in the absence of Edler - and they've been outstanding, contributing to results, even with a struggling MDZ in the lineup.  There have been no 'easy minutes' for them - quite the opposite.  I think people would be positive about that if they realized the context / had perspective, as opposed to exclusively error-gazing.   That's what CDC does though - if they don't have a Sbisa, it's Edler.  If they don't have Edler, it's Pouliot - and it's rarely remotely fair to the player.

21 hours ago, 406in604 said:

Not since Pavel, and a smaller way thr Sedins as they were 2 players, have we had a player other teams will talk positively about. 

Want to hear something else amazing? Mr. Hughes may be EP40, but on defense :-)

Hahaha too funny you mention that!

I've been telling my brother and a couple buddies the exact same thing that Hughes will be the EP of the defense lol

Weeks before the season started I called this team is much stronger all around than give credit for and will get the solid goaltending needed and also said that when Hughes comes he'll put us over the top.

This team makes the playoffs like I thought they would they'll give absolutely any team fits come playoff time could go toe to toe with anybody.

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

the problem however, with this kind of micro-focus, dwelling on a specific error - is missing the complete picture in the process (which I'm not alleging you are doing, as you claim he was 'better with Tanev).   Dwelling on an error is evidently not something Green does - for good reason - or Pouliot would not be leading the team in ice-time in consecutive games.  I didn't get a chance to watch the entire Detroit game as closely as the previous game, but in that in that game Pouliot was outstanding (so, if he was 'better with Tanev', perhaps the error dwelling is even less appropriate, but you'd never know that if you simply read a GDT.  I've never seen an NHL defenseman that does not make egregious errors - it comes inevitably with the territory, but what they do overall is what really matters.   If we dumped a defenseman every time he made a couple errors, we'd have dumped Edler after every single GDT lol.

Brock Boeser had a string of games earlier where he made a couple 'egregious' turnovers - in situations that were less 'forgivable' - and if people chose to dwell on those, they form a small sample and misrepresentative perspective of that player's value.  Comically, there were those ripping him for 'contributing in no way' - and others who concluded in a small sample of primarily a few games that he 'should not' be playing with Pettersson.

Pouliot is playing a LOT better than most folks around here seem to realize - and I'm not simply relying on the objective ('underlying' outcomes) or the eye test - the fact of how he's being utilized by Green is evidence enough - something I put more weight in than CDC stories about players.

Lol man you're so off on your assessment of Pouliot it's hard to fathom!

The guy is a complete failure it's so plain to see and a bottom of the barrel guy when you have injuries and completely desperate because you have nobody else to play! Green keeps playing him because he's got nobody else and hoping he'll turn the corner because he's desperate and wants to give him more than enough chances because of their past but the fact is the guy is horrible and he's incredibly lucky he's even in the league far as I'm concerned.

Damn even this Bruins game I'm watching late after playing a game myself I'm watching early in the 2nd period and his useless ass has already made a few huge glaring errors and looks way in over his head like he almost always does lol

Like damn dude what you say about him is pretty much the opposite of what's really happening and at this point I'm even starting to think maybe you're one of the "Edler is a Norris trophy caliber defender" blind fans back in the days that argued to no end that he was so great hahaha

I have to say I really don't get you at all man. I've read some of your other posts and seems like you see most things right and make good observations but when it comes to Pouliot it's like you're completely blind or something it just makes no sense lol

6 hours ago, The Big Luongo said:

Lol man you're so off on your assessment of Pouliot it's hard to fathom!

The guy is a complete failure it's so plain to see and a bottom of the barrel guy when you have injuries and completely desperate because you have nobody else to play! Green keeps playing him because he's got nobody else and hoping he'll turn the corner because he's desperate and wants to give him more than enough chances because of their past but the fact is the guy is horrible and he's incredibly lucky he's even in the league far as I'm concerned.

Damn even this Bruins game I'm watching late after playing a game myself I'm watching early in the 2nd period and his useless ass has already made a few huge glaring errors and looks way in over his head like he almost always does lol

Like damn dude what you say about him is pretty much the opposite of what's really happening and at this point I'm even starting to think maybe you're one of the "Edler is a Norris trophy caliber defender" blind fans back in the days that argued to no end that he was so great hahaha

I have to say I really don't get you at all man. I've read some of your other posts and seems like you see most things right and make good observations but when it comes to Pouliot it's like you're completely blind or something it just makes no sense lol

Pouliot is horrible. The problem is, he is less horrible than other available players. 

5 hours ago, 406in604 said:

Pouliot is horrible. The problem is, he is less horrible than other available players. 

I agree fact is Green just can't play Hutton and MDZ anymore than he already has and as of now unfortunately not willing to give one of the other kids a chance as of yet. Juolevi needs more time to be more mistake free has all the tools but from what I've seen prone to make errors and get caught out of position which they're likely trying to clean up in Utica.

It's unfortunate that Biega couldn't be moved to the left side I feel like he's a much better defender overall than Pouliot or we couldn't see Sautner get the chance because he's another guy who I think would be stronger and reliable than Pouliot and add real strong physical presence.

Unfortunately looks like it will take injury to Pouliot and or MDZ to have the best thing happen and that's have someone step up and prove NHL ready on the left side and strengthen that weakness as we seen again last night.

Good thing Hutton has shown his true game and abilities like I knew he would this off season or we'd be completely screwed and this winning record wouldn't be so good.

Archived