The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Lucic to have Hearing

Shekky

Not sure what set him off but I don't see why he went after this player.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-lucic-expected-to-have-hearing-for-blindside-hit-on-joseph-1.1205625

Milan Lucic could be in hot water with the NHL's Department of Player Safety for his hit on Mathieu Joseph in the third period of the Edmonton Oilers 5-2 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday.

Joe Smith of The Athletic reports Lucic "will most likely" have a hearing for the hit, which landed him two minor penalties and a game misconduct.

Angered by a cross-check Joseph put on Edmonton defenceman Kris Russell earlier in the period, Lucic followed him down the ice once the Lightning forward came onto the ice for a shift. He slashed Joseph when he first came on the ice, then tracked him into the Lightning end and hit him to the right of the Tampa Bay net while he was without the puck. Lucic then appeared to throw a punch at Joseph while the rookie was on the lying on the ice, sparking a melee between the two teams.

He received a two-minute penalty for interference, another minor for roughing and a game misconduct. 

"I thought it was a premeditated, blind-side hit," Lightning captain Steven Stamkossaid. "I saw it live, I haven't seen it replayed. I'm sure the league will review that. I think Joe got cut too. You just don't want to see that."

Oilers head coach Todd McLellan said Lucic was doing his job as the team's enforcer.

"He felt that a player took a liberty with Kris Russell, and I agree with the liberty part of it," McLellan said. "Part of the reason we have Luc here is to take care of teammates and he did that."

Lucic, who has one goal and four points in 15 games this season, was last suspended while playing for the Los Angeles Kings in January 2016, when he got a one-game ban for a punch to the head of Arizona Coyotes defenceman Kevin Connauton. He has been suspended three times in his career, each for one game.

I don't see the hit as being the major issue so much as the punch and rag dolling after.  The hit while predatory was shoulder on shoulder.  But showing that level of disrespect for your fellow players with his history deserves something.

As well, McLellan...he's an enforcer?  2 goals in what, 64 games?  $6 million and can't kill penalties?  Brilliant.  

1 minute ago, Shekky said:

thanks I was just editing my post to add that video as you posted heh.

anyways yeah I didn't see what had happened earlier in the game but this doesn't look good for Lucic.

I deleted it.  That's the hit by Joseph on Russel: 

Im kinda torn here...Lucic deserves some kind of suspension.  At the same time if that were Brock or Pettersson Joseph hit (and he does like to run around in games ive seen) and Guddy did the same thing would we be applauding it?

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

Im kinda torn here...Lucic deserves some kind of suspension.  At the same time if that were Brock or Pettersson Joseph hit (and he does like to run around in games ive seen) and Guddy did the same thing would we be applauding it?

This.

Lucic would have rag dolled Matheson

The hit was fine. No issue. The first glove punch to the helmet was innocuous enough. When he sat on him and fed him shots though, that's crossing a line.

That being said, I'm sure Kris Russell appreciates what Lucic did, considering the cheap hit Joseph made on him. He deserved some retribution for the cheap shot.

27 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Give him 20 games. What a meat head...

Beautifully said. 

What Lucic did was stupid. Plain and simple. I understand why he was upset, but your going to illegally check Jospeh, punch him, mount him like it's an MMA fight, drive his head into the ice and then yell at him... Time to use whatever brains you have left in that thick skull Milan. This reaction is ridiculous and should be a hefty suspension.

Missed boarding call by the refs on joseph, easy, but looch going full rtard and stalking the guy is smart. Yup.

Lucic could have just taken the penalty for the blind side, okay, send a warning, you know, don't do that again, but when he goons the guy while he's down, that's pretty gutless and that's probably where the hearing is. The oils were also getting their asses kicked so that doesn't make things look any better xD

Then again lucic isn't known for using his brain

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The hit was fine. No issue. The first glove punch to the helmet was innocuous enough. When he sat on him and fed him shots though, that's crossing a line.

That being said, I'm sure Kris Russell appreciates what Lucic did, considering the cheap hit Joseph made on him. He deserved some retribution for the cheap shot.

the additional stuff was just stupid. But you make a good point. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the additional stuff was just stupid. But you make a good point. 

That's what I said in my post. The hit away from the play was fine, and the tap on the helmet was pretty harmless. Once he mounted him and began feeding him shots, he crossed the line and deserves some supplemental discipline for sure.

Lucic has done that before. When Hamhuis hip checked Lucic, he skated back and attacked Family Man Dan when he was struggling to get to his feet. Lucic may be a very tough customer, but he can also be a cheap shot slimeball.

1 hour ago, Shekky said:

Not sure what set him off but I don't see why he went after this player.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-lucic-expected-to-have-hearing-for-blindside-hit-on-joseph-1.1205625

Milan Lucic could be in hot water with the NHL's Department of Player Safety for his hit on Mathieu Joseph in the third period of the Edmonton Oilers 5-2 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday.

Joe Smith of The Athletic reports Lucic "will most likely" have a hearing for the hit, which landed him two minor penalties and a game misconduct.

Angered by a cross-check Joseph put on Edmonton defenceman Kris Russell earlier in the period, Lucic followed him down the ice once the Lightning forward came onto the ice for a shift. He slashed Joseph when he first came on the ice, then tracked him into the Lightning end and hit him to the right of the Tampa Bay net while he was without the puck. Lucic then appeared to throw a punch at Joseph while the rookie was on the lying on the ice, sparking a melee between the two teams.

He received a two-minute penalty for interference, another minor for roughing and a game misconduct. 

"I thought it was a premeditated, blind-side hit," Lightning captain Steven Stamkossaid. "I saw it live, I haven't seen it replayed. I'm sure the league will review that. I think Joe got cut too. You just don't want to see that."

Oilers head coach Todd McLellan said Lucic was doing his job as the team's enforcer.

"He felt that a player took a liberty with Kris Russell, and I agree with the liberty part of it," McLellan said. "Part of the reason we have Luc here is to take care of teammates and he did that."

Lucic, who has one goal and four points in 15 games this season, was last suspended while playing for the Los Angeles Kings in January 2016, when he got a one-game ban for a punch to the head of Arizona Coyotes defenceman Kevin Connauton. He has been suspended three times in his career, each for one game.

The hearing is largely around the surprise the league had that Lucic could still skate the entire length of the ice.   "We were certain Milan was not capable of that much skating on one shift and we need to understand how that talent is offsite by his offensive performance - is he taking bets on the Oilers to lose?   We just don't know".

27 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

He Guddy... take notes please...

Gudbranson fights fairly. He didn't blindside Hamonic, who is a far tougher player than Joseph, before beating the ever-loving crap out of him. They squared off like men. Lucic's retribution started off right, but quickly descended into stupidity which will bring supplemental discipline upon him.

And Guddy is contributing on the scoresheet with assists, and solid defensive play. How are Lucic's point totals?

1 minute ago, shazzam said:

Lucic has considerbly slowed down but can still goon it up. At least they responded. Message sent.

What message?   "I am an ineffective player at what I am paid to do so I will chase down smaller players and take cheap shots at them versus squaring off like a man".        That message?

Ironic thing is Lucic likely helped his team in the short term as he will likely get a suspension.   

Archived