The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can the Canucks afford to re-sign Edler after this season?

Hindustan Smyl

23 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Non of which will have radically changed. Face it, his time ran out, even if he wanted to come over now - of which there is no evidence, he probably would not accept being a 7 or 8 getting 15 mins.

Possibly....

edler tanev

stecher gud

hutton tryamkin?

i see how that could be difficult to do with Pouliot slowly seeming to find his game....Pouliot makes some really ill timed mistakes but he still shows upside.

I'm sure Jim will do his due diligence with Eagle, and see if he's interested in a 3 year deal, which the Canucks could totally manage.

Four to five years ago, I would have said trade him, but Edler has rediscovered his game and been a great defenseman and influence to the rest of the blueline. He's vastly underrated. If he went on the trade block now, at least 10-12 teams would be interested in him.

Do not resign Edler.  Spends too much time on injury list, skates like a pylon and has no imagination on the pp blueline.  Too slow to hit the net with his shots and gets too many point shots blocked.  Penalty killers know to rush him at the blueline and he will panic and give the puck away or just shot it into the corner.  Spend the money on development and looking for a free agent next summer.

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

We should forget Tryamkin. Talk about needy, this is past embarrassing. 

We have all kinds of good (better than Tryamkin) D players emerging or just round the corner, it is just the immature fan dans on here who on the one side support Tryamkin in his wish not to fight or be too physical and then hypocritically continue to show Tryamkin fights, while wetting their pants, who keep blubbering on about him.

We are past all that, he had his chance to be part of what looks like becoming a very special team and he blew it. We have gone past him, we are not the team we were 2/3 years ago.

An all encompassing thread, it targets all posters at one level or another.

This team needs a player like him and which dmen are better? Will be better? Got some lottery numbers?

He has played in the NHL, he matched up against McDavid, he came to teammates need for help more than Gudbranson in two years, he was 21.

I think we can *afford* to sign him - depending on whether he's willing to take a big cut to stick with the Canucks or not.

I'd like to see a 2 year contract for 2.5m.  Not sure if he would accept that kind of discount and short term, but he's going to be 33 and I'm not keen on a longer term.  This would allow him to slip down to a complimentary role where he is better suited rather than being relied on to be a #1.  

Hughes Tanev - Tanev is the perfect kind of partner to allow Hughes to do his thing.
Edler Stecher - Edler's size offsets the lack of size from Stecher, and they've seemed to work ok together in the past.
Juolevi Gudbranson - Gudbranson is there to make sure nobody takes liberties with the rookie Juolevi.
Hutton, Biega

I would re-sign him. I would even go as high as 3 years 18 mil, 4 years and 20 mil at most.  I think he is a #2/#3 dman at the NHL level now but will be more like #3/#4 by the end of the next contract. The thing is, you can never have enough quality defenceman and to make best use of EP's younger years, we need to build depth on defence to support him.

If everything goes well then we will be incorporating Juolevi, Hughes, Tryamkin, and one of Briesbois/McEneny/Chatfield on top of Hutton, Gudbranson, and Tanev. But infusion of youth isn't going to take place over one training camp, I assume it will take place over the course of next 2-3 seasons, which will take Edler to the end of the next contract. At that point, we may trade him or not re-sign him if youth has basically pushed him out of top 4.

I don't think cap will be much of an issue.

- We should be able to sign Brock for around 7 mil. I think he will need a 40 goal season to ask for 8+ this season but with injuries, I think that will be a tall task for him. 30 goal scorers should come at around 7 mil.

In 2021-22 (the year EP needs a new contract), we will have only the following forwards on contract:

Brock: 7

Loui: 6

Bo: 5.5

Beagle: 3

Roussel: 3

Total: 24.5 mil.

I think we can even go after Karlsson next season along with Edler. If we get Karlsson, we cannot bring back Tanev and/or Gudbranson.

Edler-Karlsson (6 + 11 = 17)

Tryamkin-Hughes (4 + 1 = 5) or Hutton-Hughes (3 + 1 = 4)

Juolevi-Tanev/Gudbranson (1 + 5.5/4 = 6.5/5) or Juolevi-Stecher (1 + 3 = 4)

Range: 25 - 29.5 mil.

Marky (3.5)

Demko (2.5)

Total: 6 mil.

Grand total: 55 - 60 mil.

Assuming the cap at moderate 80-83 mil, that gives us 25-30 mil to sign:

EP, Virtanen, Baer, Gaud, Motte. Maybe Goldobin.

I think we can get EP for around 10 mil. He will be worth more but I think if you approach him with a plan on where people fit in and how much we can give him to make the plan work, he will sign for 10, giving us 15-20 mil, which should be more than enough to sign important players already on the roster and even go after a UFA.

Baer-EP-Boeser (4 + 10 + 7 = 21)

Dahlen-Bo-UFA (1 + 5.5 + 7.5 = 14)

Motte-Gaud-Virtanen (2 + 3 + 3 = 8)

Roussel-Beagle-UFA (3 + 3 + 2 = 8)

Tryamkin-Hughes (4 + 1 = 5)

Juolevi-Tanev (1 + 5.5 = 6.5)

Markstrom (3.5)

Demko (2.5)

51 + 28.5 + 6 = 85.5 mil. I think the cap will have risen to this level by then but if not, there are enough cost saving measures to ensure that we sign everyone we need to and still go after 1 or 2 marquee UFAs on top of signing Edler, EP, and Brock.

3 hours ago, riffraff said:

Spoken like someone who moved to a foreign country with no language skills, newly married to a wife an ocean away, and knew exactly what they wanted in life at that tender age of 20.

geesh.

There are repercussions for anyone daring to disrespect Willie or cause his name to fall into disrepute.  Tryamkin crossed that line, he is no clearly longer welcome.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

JB is smart keeping the door open on him. But realistically. It's bolted, chained, and has 50 locks on it. 

The fact that he's griping about the team he's on in the KHL, seems to be he's a high maintenance player, and that he just bails if things aren't going his way in the NHL. 

Despite what gifts he brings, I think his ego is writing cheques that exceed his performance. 

On the left side the Canucks have in prospects, Joulevi, Hughes, and eventually Rathbone. By the time Tram figures out he wants to play for Vancouver. 

There may be no room for him. 

When do we lose his rights? Is it 2020? I think it’s around then or 2021. Either way by then we will have Hughes and OJ on our backend and we will be a trending (we already are now) team and if he does want to come back. I wonder what the return for a defenseman his size and speed can fetch. I believe that if there isn’t room for him you can get a good return for him.

As for the OP topic, I think Edler loves it here and doesn’t want to go anywhere (even this trade deadline) I believe this is where he wants to be so he will be ok with giving the team a home town discount for not waiving for assists that could’ve helped the team. I hope we see a trade and resign but nothing in the past makes me think Edler wants to move on. 

I remember a lot of fans thought Ohlund and Salo would not get much.

Don't kid yourself Edler on the free market will get over 5 mil a season. He plays huge minutes on a crappy team his numbers will only get better. He was only 24 in the cup run and has been used as a defensive dman since. At 32/33 I could see Detroit wanting a guy like him.

In three years, when the Nucks are regularly relevant again his experience and mentorship will have been missed

9 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Here is my thought:  Realistically, we won’t be able to.

1) Edler will want a long term deal.  I don’t see him signing here for less than 3 years.

2) The Canucks will need to re-up Boeser, along with some other RFA’s.

3) Ben Hutton has emerged this year and is ready to take on more responsibility.

4) Hughes and Juolevi will likely be on the team next season.

So - while there would be an obvious benefit in resigning Edler, I question as to whether it’s practical or even realistic given the term and money he’ll likely want.

How do you guys seeing things playing out?

Way too early to depend on Hutton for sure, although he's much improved this season over last

9 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Here is my thought:  Realistically, we won’t be able to.

1) Edler will want a long term deal.  I don’t see him signing here for less than 3 years.

2) The Canucks will need to re-up Boeser, along with some other RFA’s.

3) Ben Hutton has emerged this year and is ready to take on more responsibility.

4) Hughes and Juolevi will likely be on the team next season.

So - while there would be an obvious benefit in resigning Edler, I question as to whether it’s practical or even realistic given the term and money he’ll likely want.

How do you guys seeing things playing out?

Three year deal at team discount. He has value, plays a good role on a team that has no one to replace him

yet. A replacement on the FA market will cost a lot more.  As our younger guys grow into to their roles, Edler will get lower in the chart.  He would be a very good number 4 d man. 

Alex is the most important D-man on this club.

Re-sign him at any cost. At any cost. Hopefully he takes a home town discount... I'd imagine based on his current play his price in free agency would be 6 mill. If he settles for 4 AAV, I'd love him long time.

Karlsson should realize Vancouver is the only option if he wants to be part of a Dynasty so if he's smart, he'll take a discount and come play in a proper city instead of that dumpster San Jose. Nothing better than a Karlsson Edler pairing.

Then flip Tanev for a 1st

28 minutes ago, khay said:

I would re-sign him. I would even go as high as 3 years 18 mil, 4 years and 20 mil at most.  I think he is a #2/#3 dman at the NHL level now but will be more like #3/#4 by the end of the next contract. The thing is, you can never have enough quality defenceman and to make best use of EP's younger years, we need to build depth on defence to support him.

If everything goes well then we will be incorporating Juolevi, Hughes, Tryamkin, and one of Briesbois/McEneny/Chatfield on top of Hutton, Gudbranson, and Tanev. But infusion of youth isn't going to take place over one training camp, I assume it will take place over the course of next 2-3 seasons, which will take Edler to the end of the next contract. At that point, we may trade him or not re-sign him if youth has basically pushed him out of top 4.

I don't think cap will be much of an issue.

- We should be able to sign Brock for around 7 mil. I think he will need a 40 goal season to ask for 8+ this season but with injuries, I think that will be a tall task for him. 30 goal scorers should come at around 7 mil.

In 2021-22 (the year EP needs a new contract), we will have only the following forwards on contract:

Brock: 7

Loui: 6

Bo: 5.5

Beagle: 3

Roussel: 3

Total: 24.5 mil.

I think we can even go after Karlsson next season along with Edler. If we get Karlsson, we cannot bring back Tanev and/or Gudbranson.

Tryamkin-Hughes (4 + 1 = 5) or Hutton-Hughes (3 + 1 = 4)

Juolevi-Tanev/Gudbranson (1 + 5.5/4 = 6.5/5) or Juolevi-Stecher (1 + 3 = 4)

Range: 25 - 29.5 mil.

Marky (3.5)

Demko (2.5)

Total: 6 mil.

Grand total: 55 - 60 mil.

Assuming the cap at moderate 80-83 mil, that gives us 25-30 mil to sign:

EP, Virtanen, Baer, Gaud, Motte. Maybe Goldobin.

I think we can get EP for around 10 mil. He will be worth more but I think if you approach him with a plan on where people fit in and how much we can give him to make the plan work, he will sign for 10, giving us 15-20 mil, which should be more than enough to sign important players already on the roster and even go after a UFA.

Baer-EP-Boeser (4 + 10 + 7 = 21)

Dahlen-Bo-UFA (1 + 5.5 + 7.5 = 14)

Motte-Gaud-Virtanen (2 + 3 + 3 = 8)

Roussel-Beagle-UFA (3 + 3 + 2 = 8)

Tryamkin-Hughes (4 + 1 = 5)

Juolevi-Tanev (1 + 5.5 = 6.5)

Markstrom (3.5)

Demko (2.5)

51 + 28.5 + 6 = 85.5 mil. I think the cap will have risen to this level by then but if not, there are enough cost saving measures to ensure that we sign everyone we need to and still go after 1 or 2 marquee UFAs on top of signing Edler, EP, and Brock.

Good working breaking it down. People seem to have trouble grasping how much cap we have coming off over the next few years while we have to re-sign guys like Boeser, Ep40 etc.

Honestly don't think Karlsson's cap would even need to be that much. As I wrote elsewhere, you could probably get him for closer to $9m with a heavily front loaded deal. And if any team has the combination of deep pockets, low cash/cap commitments the next few years and clear need (as well as up an coming roster with a young, all world Swedish talent to play with), it's the Canucks.

Something like:

$14 ($4m signing bonus), $10, $10, $8, $8, $6, $4 = $60 / 7 years = $8.57 AAV 

That pays him loads up front and averages to $10m/year over the first 5 years. Not to mention the ample endorsement etc deals he'd have available here should he wish to supplement that. Works for ownership as his actual salary is high while we have low commitments on ELC/bridge deals now and tapers off as those guys get raises in a few years.

We also should have enough prospect D depth now that we can move out/let expire more expensive depth guys (Hutton, Gudbranson, Edler, Stecher etc) as guys like Woo, Rathbone, Brisebois etc come on line with ELC's/bridge deals over the next 2-5 years.

Ideally you move some of those expiring guys for futures and you can continue to cycle in the bottom 4 to complement the core of Hughes, Karlsson and Juolevi.

Archived