The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can the Canucks afford to re-sign Edler after this season?

Hindustan Smyl

Of course we can afford to re-sign Edler.  If we don’t, we will have to find a similar Veterans and sign them.  As much promise as Hughes and Juolevi have, you can’t throw them to the wolves as our two top LD.

A 2x4-4.5 or 3x3-3.5 deal is perfectly fine and bridges us with a solid veteran while the kids get up to speed.  He is probably going to want the extra years versus a one year higher cap hit deal.

You are in no way hurt by having Edler as a 3rd pairing guy in the last year of his deal making that salary.

For perspective, we would pay the same for a Del Zotto type in free agency and guess who is a far better player.

If we get him to agree to he traded at the deadline and re-signed, we probably even pay $500k more per year happily.  We can get him cheaper if we sign an extension without moving him as he would be happy doesn’t the security.

28 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

He’s definitely not taking up a roster spot of a better young D at the moment , but he’s definitely going to be a 5-6 defenceman 3 years from now . He would have to realize he can’t be paid top defenceman money anymore. 

Top defensemen make $8m+. Edler makes $5m.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Non of which will have radically changed. Face it, his time ran out, even if he wanted to come over now - of which there is no evidence, he probably would not accept being a 7 or 8 getting 15 mins.

Can't be bothered responding to that other ignorant rant of yours, but this post is simply factually incorrect..

"I asked Volkov if Tryamkin will ever return to Vancouver, " He talks about it, he wants to go back someday. He will give it 1 more shot when he's ready." #Canucks

I think the OP has framed the question in a way that undermines the point they're attempting to make.

Of course they can afford to re-sign Edler.   That's not really the question. 

"Should the Canucks re-sign Edler?"

Edler has already indicated that he'd "love to re-sign" with the Canucks.  That's not exactly a hardball negotiating position on his part - so I'm not sure I share the OP's caution about demanding long term.  Edler will be 33 next July 1st.  I'm not sure where the OP gets the idea that he'll be holding out for a "long term" contract, but I doubt it comes from anything Edler himself has ever said.

The canucks should trade Edler for an equivalent RHD.

I vote Myers.  Maybe we include some pieces.

both pending UFA.  

Next year...

Hughes Tanev

Juolevi Myers

Hutton Guddy 

Wpg rolls into the playoffs with a top 4 of...

Morrisey Big Buff

Edler Trouba

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think the OP has framed the question in a way that undermines the point they're attempting to make.

Of course they can afford to re-sign Edler.   That's not really the question. 

"Should the Canucks re-sign Edler?"

Edler has already indicated that he'd "love to re-sign" with the Canucks.  That's not exactly a hardball negotiating position on his part - so I'm not sure I share the OP's caution about demanding long term.  Edler will be 33 next July 1st.  I'm not sure where the OP gets the idea that he'll be holding out for a "long term" contract, but I doubt it comes from anything Edler himself has ever said.

He has undermined his value for resigning here by hardlining his no trade deal, meaning, he loves it here so much that he would never leave.. I guess that means we can have him for whatever we toss his way then?  Seems weird to me.  If he really wanted to help this team, he'd accept a trade for a complimentary building block, then (maybe) come back in the off season.

He'll be re-signed, because the Canucks love to reward their long term Swedes. He's a Canucks lifer, like the Sedins. Canucks also really value Tanev, so I think he's staying for now.

Edler - Hughes

Juolevi - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Stecher

11 minutes ago, xereau said:

He has undermined his value for resigning here by hardlining his no trade deal, meaning, he loves it here so much that he would never leave.. I guess that means we can have him for whatever we toss his way then?  Seems weird to me.  If he really wanted to help this team, he'd accept a trade for a complimentary building block, then (maybe) come back in the off season.

where do you get the idea "that he would never leave".    I've never heard a source suggest that, let alone Edler.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Non of which will have radically changed. Face it, his time ran out, even if he wanted to come over now - of which there is no evidence, he probably would not accept being a 7 or 8 getting 15 mins.

What time ran out? On a 22 year old D-man? Haha give it a rest dude, Tryamkin honours his contract. He’s under contract in the KHL for another 2 years and then he will likely come back.  

We cant afford NOT to sign Edler. Pardon the double negative.

35 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Grampa Edler is out... face it.

seriously... 32 isn't that old! Evgeni Malkin is 32 and still a beast.. Phil Kessel is a year younger and he look like he could be in his late 30s. Let's talk about Jagr and Chara in perspective...

If Edler is ok with a manageable two year deal why the heck wouldn't we sign him. Finding or trading for a dman that can eat his minutes would be very difficult and expensive. I find it interesting that JB didnt give any indication that the club was interested in re-upping Eddy. I'm beginning to wonder if the Canucks are thinking about taking a real run at Erik Karlsson.   

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

If Edler is ok with a manageable two year deal why the heck wouldn't we sign him. Finding or trading for a dman that can eat his minutes would be very difficult and expensive. I find it interesting that JB didnt give any indication that the club was interested in re-upping Eddy. I'm beginning to wonder if the Canucks are thinking about taking a real run at Erik Karlsson.   

I think it was more of a case of 'we'll deal with Edler closer to the TDL, when it matters'. Doesn't mean they have any specific plans IMO.

I'm hoping we sign both ::D

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Grandpa Edler? He's only 32 and arguably the Canucks best Dman.

The guy is done'zo...

54 minutes ago, Crimson-JH said:

seriously... 32 isn't that old! Evgeni Malkin is 32 and still a beast.. Phil Kessel is a year younger and he look like he could be in his late 30s. Let's talk about Jagr and Chara in perspective...

Are you really mentioning Edler with all these other players LOL Reaching,...

He will not be resigned.

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The sad aspect about Tryamkin's time was that Guddy was out and could have given him the support that might have made a difference. So many issues floating around Tryamkin that I doubt we see him back. As you rightfully point out he has to be prepared to put his time in and he had the ideal opportunity to do that. IMHO the depth in the prospect pool could make his return much more difficult.  

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

JB is smart keeping the door open on him. But realistically. It's bolted, chained, and has 50 locks on it. 

The fact that he's griping about the team he's on in the KHL, seems to be he's a high maintenance player, and that he just bails if things aren't going his way in the NHL. 

Despite what gifts he brings, I think his ego is writing cheques that exceed his performance. 

On the left side the Canucks have in prospects, Joulevi, Hughes, and eventually Rathbone. By the time Tram figures out he wants to play for Vancouver. 

There may be no room for him. 

I am hoping that the "high maintenance" behaviour is just immaturity. He's still a young man. We absolutely need him.  We could be fine without him, but there is one thing he brings that those other prospects do not....size. And its so difficult to find high caliber D with size. I'm not that concerned with him not being so physical. I enjoy watching him literally herd and then squish players into the boards until they fall down. Not to mention his improving shot, with that kind of wing span, which is both great for the wind up, and also for defensive ability with the reach.

Bure also had a bit of an attitude. And a bit contentious with management. But I'm very glad I got to watch him as a Canuck.

Archived