• Announcements

    • StealthNuck

      All Threads Must Contain Tags!   07/25/2017

      ALL THREADS MUST CONTAIN TAGS   All threads in this forum must contain tags prefixed to topic titles. The purpose of the tags is to eliminate confusion in recent threads lists, and to create an organized and consistent environment. Moderators may immediately lock and thread that does not contain tags.    Tags must be placed at the start of your thread title, following this exact formatting:    [Tag] Thread Title   Here are some of the most used popular tags:    [Proposal]
      A trade, or trades, for next season, or even the off-season.
      [Off-Season]
      FA signings, off-season trades for RFA's, UFA's rights etc...
      [Value Of]
      (A question regarding a players worth, whether from another team, or the Canucks)
      [Speculation] Posting a rumor (with a source of course), but providing why it could be possible for the Canucks to land that player.   [Discussion]
      Thoughts on team trading strategy and composition.   Please feel free to create your own tag if none of these suit your thread.   
Nuxfanabroad

[Question] Would U Trade Him?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

No way.  I haven't seen a young prospect elevate the play of bad linemates to this degree since Super Mario.

This exactly!!

 

McDavid has not been able to make the players around him better the way EP has. EP's hockey IQ is unreal, his defensive awareness and the way he creates space for teammates to distribute the puck helps whoever he is playing with look better. My favorite example of this in the current NHL is Crosby who can turn 3rd line grinders into first line allstars(ie:Kunitz). When a player can elevate the game of the players around him and use their skillset to compliment his own game, the whole team benefits more than from a player who absolutely dominates but does little for his teammates or defensively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Come on now, there's no way Edmonton is trading McDavid straight up for Gagner ;)

They would have to throw in Draisaitl and retain some salary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realistically, I see more character in EP already in his short stint in the NHL. Although McDavid has great skill, I am not sure if his character will be there come playoff time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No sir. I would not. Petey is a legit Franchise player and we are only seeing hints of what he will be in the future. He is a special player. I predict he will be worth more than McDavid a few years down the road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me this is like having a really big mystery box. Inside is a car. You don't know exactly what's inside but you can see inside a little bit and everything you've heard about this car makes it seem amazing. 

 

Someone offers you the best, most expensive car in the world. It has maybe 20000 km on it.

 

Do you take the best car in the world? Or do you keep mystery box and hope that it is the best car in the world?

 

Canuck fans seem split on this. Try asking any Oilers fan if they would trade McDavid for Pettersson. You would get laughed at.

Edited by HockeydownUnder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

...you know WHO I'm talkin'bout..straight-up, for McDavid(& his 12.5 cap-cross)?

 

 

 

I wouldn't.

I know WHO you are talking about and Loui is a bit part of the team.   So no, I agree with you, no.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even at this early stage of EP40's career I only see McDavid excelling over him in one aspect and that is skating. Everything else I would give an edge to EP40 over McDavid........therefore, no way do I trade EP40 for anyone.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

This exactly!!

 

McDavid has not been able to make the players around him better the way EP has. EP's hockey IQ is unreal, his defensive awareness and the way he creates space for teammates to distribute the puck helps whoever he is playing with look better. My favorite example of this in the current NHL is Crosby who can turn 3rd line grinders into first line allstars(ie:Kunitz). When a player can elevate the game of the players around him and use their skillset to compliment his own game, the whole team benefits more than from a player who absolutely dominates but does little for his teammates or defensively.

Benoit Pouliot, Patrick Maroon, and to a lesser degree Draisaitl, all put up career highs when McDavid was their centermen. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shiznak said:

Benoit Pouliot, Patrick Maroon, and to a lesser degree Draisaitl, all put up career highs when McDavid was their centermen. 

I'll give you Patrick Maroon but come on a 22 point year Pouliot was on pace for with what he had done in his career and the progression he was making. Draisaitl is by no means a third liner. He is a bonafide top 6 forward on any team in the NHL and would be top line on most teams.

 

I'm by no means saying McDavid isn't a great hockey player, I consider him one of the best in the world. It's just his skillset is more suited to his high speed game and that most players can't keep up with his speed to benefit greatly from playing with him. Look no further then Lucic as a guy that isn't fast enough to keep up with McDavid and benefit from his skillset.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

I'll give you Patrick Maroon but come on a 22 point year Pouliot was on pace for with what he had done in his career and the progression he was making. Draisaitl is by no means a third liner. He is a bonafide top 6 forward on any team in the NHL and would be top line on most teams.

 

I'm by no means saying McDavid isn't a great hockey player, I consider him one of the best in the world. It's just his skillset is more suited to his high speed game and that most players can't keep up with his speed to benefit greatly from playing with him. Look no further then Lucic as a guy that isn't fast enough to keep up with McDavid and benefit from his skillset.

 

 

I might be able to outskate Lucic >:)

 

I do think McDavid needs some faster, better wingers. Carl Haglin or Grabner in their prime is what I'm thinking. Dylan Larkin would be good as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a tough decision and clearly there's going to be "homer-ism" in this thread. That aside though....

 

McDavid is the gaurentee. He's already the best.

Pettersson, it's early, I don't want to overhype, but he's clearly also going to be among the best, especially if he bulks up a little more.

 

The real question: who will be better in 5 years? ;)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a heart beat, McDavid is proven Pettersson is just starting.

 

McD with JV, speed

 

McD - JV

Bo - Brock

Gaud - Granny

Sutter - Motte

 

Two scoring, two for checking.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

I'll give you Patrick Maroon but come on a 22 point year Pouliot was on pace for with what he had done in his career and the progression he was making. Draisaitl is by no means a third liner. He is a bonafide top 6 forward on any team in the NHL and would be top line on most teams.

 

I'm by no means saying McDavid isn't a great hockey player, I consider him one of the best in the world. It's just his skillset is more suited to his high speed game and that most players can't keep up with his speed to benefit greatly from playing with him. Look no further then Lucic as a guy that isn't fast enough to keep up with McDavid and benefit from his skillset.

 

 

Pouliot was on pace for 25+ goals and 50-55 points (15-16), playing on McDavid’s wing. That would have been a career high, if both played a full season together.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McDavid is on another level, EP is also really good and is on another level as well, two elite players. So in reality it's a fair trade both teams still get an elite player back no matter what, but which one do you want. I think of these two as Gretzky and Lemieux, EP as Gretzky, McDavid as Lemieux, I've always said I would take a Lemieux over a Gretzky everytime, in my opinion one could hold his ground better on the physical side more Lemieux, and I see the same here a bit so I would take McDavid.

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-11-16 at 5:19 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

McDavid is on another level, EP is also really good and is on another level as well, two elite players. So in reality it's a fair trade both teams still get an elite player back no matter what, but which one do you want. I think of these two as Gretzky and Lemieux, EP as Gretzky, McDavid as Lemieux, I've always said I would take a Lemieux over a Gretzky everytime, in my opinion one could hold his ground better on the physical side more Lemieux, and I see the same here a bit so I would take McDavid.

McDavid and Bure are the only two players ever to do what they can at that speed, two and a half years and the only guy at the same age that could rival Gretzky’s trophy case, and without the same supporting cast.  Draisatl is pretty good, but looses a lot of shine when not playing with McDavid, and after him it’s third liners.  He’s the best pure talent in the game right now, if he played on TO and Mathews played in EDM he’d score 150plus points, and Mathews be lucky to be a PPG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think enough people factor in the advantage of having an (immediate) young star locked-in for almost 3 yrs of ELC status.

 

Especially when the counterpart gouges 12.5 mill out of a team's cap limit.

 

It's a very important variable. With about 10 mill of extra space, you can add help in many areas. With the age/status of the rest of our crew, EP's younger contract fits like a glove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.