RUPERTKBD

Mass shooting at Thousand Oaks bar

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Sorry for paraphrasing.  I'll use the exact quotes from former NRA president Harlon Carter after the Sandy Hook incident. 

Harlon Carter describes guns in the hands of those with violent intent as "the price we pay for freedom" .

He is opposed to gun legislation and background checks.

Got it.  While individuals having access to weapons may be part of the price of freedom (I do generally agree with that), I still think we are wise to search for deeper causes to these kind of events.

This is of particular concern to me because it is very near to where my brother lives and he has two boys both going to college.  On the other hand, I live in Abbotsford where just a few years ago a couple of boys I coached at hockey were shot, and last year a policeman was shot.  Scary world.

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

isn't there an constitutional amendment that allows me to throw rocks? 

Yes, that would be the 10th amendment, which, in essence, states that any rights or powers not specifically delegated to the federal government or the states are still held by the people.

• Thanks 1

Background checks are a start.  But the NRA doesn't even want to do that as they perceive it as infringing on their 2nd Amendment rights.

What can you do if the people cover their eyes, put fingers in their ears and say La La La. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Background checks are a start.  But the NRA doesn't even want to do that as they perceive it as infringing on their 2nd Amendment rights.

What can you do if the people cover their eyes, put fingers in their ears and say La La La. 

The NRA doesn't even want to see research on gun related violence:

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/05/599773911/how-the-nra-worked-to-stifle-gun-violence-research

...are they afraid that they won't like the findings? I'd bet the mortgage....

Can we just make one US Mass Shooting thread?  Seeing as there is one every day down there in that $&!#hole country....

Mental illness and access to guns is a deadly mix, PTSD is bad even with the treatment.

Few weeks after leaving the war zone back home, I had a nightmare.

Woke up as my throat was being slit, sweaty, heart pounding and it felt so &^@#in real, like it wasn’t a dream at all.

Some of those guys suffer every night with these recurring nightmares, I can’t even imagine.

• Upvote 1

PSTD is real.  Buddy served in Afghanistan. Can't be in large crowds anymore.  Gets panic attacks .  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why can't the focus get away from guns for a minute and onto why this veteran who may have seen untold horrors was not getting sufficient post-duty support and treatment inclusive of professional evaluation on ability to do things like own a firearm.   Seems someone is always found to be "post incident" having some form of anti-social tendency with some trigger - why can't the effort be put into finding support for these people?    What is a human life worth?   

It doesn't garner votes. 

It's easier to rile up the masses being pro or anti-firearms.  

• Thanks 1

...and it's happened again:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/shooting-in-tennessee-leaves-2-dead-4-injured/ar-BBPzixs?li=AAggFp5

Two people were killed and four others were wounded in a shooting in Tennessee on Saturday, authorities said. The Shelby County Sheriff's Office said one victim died at the scene, while another died at a local hospital.

The conditions of those injured ranged from serious to critical, the sheriff's office said. None of the victims have been identified and no suspects are in custody.

Investigators spoke with people at the scene who said the shooting stemmed from an argument over gambling, the sheriff's office said. They believe it was an isolated incident and the suspect knew the victims, whose ages ranged from 13 to 21.

Lt. Anthony Buckner said one of the victims called the sheriff's office to report that he'd been shot, CBS affiliate WREG reports.

Sounds like some good ol boys who've seen Maverick one too many times....

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

whose ages ranged from 13

Ohh man so damn sad.

Here's one of the problems with the "good guy with a gun" mantra that the pro-gun lobby likes to promote:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/lawsuit-illinois-guard-shot-by-police-had-on-security-hat/ar-BBPE1E5?li=AAggNb9

A police officer fatally shot an armed security guard who was wearing a hat with "security" emblazoned across the front and holding a man down following a shooting inside the suburban Chicago bar where the guard worked, says an attorney for the guard's family who filed a federal lawsuit.

Jemel Roberson, 26, was pronounced dead shortly after being taken to a hospital early Sunday following the shooting at Manny's Blue Room in Robbins, just south of Chicago. Four other people were shot and wounded, including a man who authorities believe fired a gun before officers arrived, Cook County sheriff's spokeswoman Sophia Ansari said.

When the cops arrive on the scene, they don't know the good guys from the bad guys. (even when the good guy is wearing a hat that says "Security", apparently :picard:)

I guess I should expand my list of common sense regulations to "Proper training of law enforcement".....<_<

Collateral damage is to be expected.

And apparently accepted. 

:(

This story reinforces what some of us have been saying about domestic violence and how it often leads to gun violence:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46280181

The shootings began with an argument in the Mercy Hospital car park between the gunman, 32-year-old Juan Lopez, and Dr O'Neal at about 15:00 local time on Monday.

The gunman shot Dr O'Neal, 38, several times in the chest before standing over her and firing three more times, witnesses said.

He and Dr O'Neal had been engaged to marry in October, but she called it off a month beforehand, according to local media.

Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said that killing was an act of domestic violence.

The suspect then entered the hospital, shooting at random and killing newly graduated pharmacist Dayna Less, who was getting out of a lift at the time.

In an exchange of fire with the gunman, policeman Samuel Jimenez was killed.

A second officer avoided injury after a bullet fired in his direction became lodged in his gun in his holster.

The suspect died, though it was not immediately clear if he shot himself or was struck by a police bullet.

This is for the "If there were no guns, they'd just use a car or a knife" people. This story from China underscores the difference having a gun as opposed to another weapon makes:

One student was killed and 11 others injured when a man wielding a weapon launched an attack at a technical institute in southwestern China on Friday, authorities said.

A 20-year-old man, only identified as Yang, was apprehended by police after he assaulted a group of students and teachers with an unspecified weapon at Yunnan Traffic Technician College, officials said. Most private citizens are not allowed to own guns in China.

One student died at the hospital from his injuries, while 9 other students and two teachers received injuries that were not life-threatening, a statement by the Anning government said.

Does anyone actually believe that there would have been only one fatality if a firearm had been used for this attack?

No need for a new thread. (We'd be starting new threads on an almost daily basis, if so) Here's yet another example of responsible gun owners exercising their second amendment rights:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/new-years-eve-celebratory-gunfire-leaves-several-injured-including-children-in-multiple-states/ar-BBRI73f?li=AAggFp4

As the clock struck midnight and millions cheered the start of 2019, some Americans found themselves ducking for cover or rushing to the hospital when stray bullets from celebratory gunfire suddenly rained down on them.

At least three children were among those who were hit -- two who suffered head injuries and a third who was shot in the stomach.

"It is foolishness," Oakland Police Chief Anne Kirkpatrick said Wednesday. "It is unnecessary in this case. Quite an innocent child was affected and hurt by this foolishness."

Property damage, including shattered vehicle windows, were also reported.

Oakland, California

A 6-year-old girl is now listed in stable condition after she was struck in the head while playing in the backyard of her family's home during a New Year's Eve party.

The man who threw the party, and who asked to remain anonymous, told KTVU the shooting occurred just after midnight.

A neighbor told KTVU people could hear gunfire echoing in the neighborhood as 2019 began.

"You could hear all the kids across the street and they were going 5, 4, 3, 2, 1," Roxana Perez said. "There was screaming and tons of gunshots. I told my husband, 'Luckily we won’t get hit.'  I’m thinking it came down on her."

Oakland Officer Johnna Watson said some bullets can travel nearly a mile after being fired.

"Celebratory gunfire is dangerous and illegal," Watson said during a news conference. "This is a very serious crime that occurred. This is a very serious injury."

This, coming on the heels of yet another child's death as a result of gunfire:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/senseless-year-girl-shot-dead-car-mom-police/story?id=60077392

Authorities are searching for a gunman after a 7-year-old girl was shot dead in Houston on Sunday as the girl sat in her car with her mother and three other children.

Jazmine Barnes was killed when the unknown suspect pulled up next to her mother's car at about 7 a.m. and began shooting into the car for an unknown reason, Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez tweeted.

Jazmine's mother, 30-year-old LaPorsha Washington, was shot and wounded, Gonzalez said.

On 11/9/2018 at 2:32 AM, Baer. said:

The weapon used was a low calibre hand gun, legal in many countries, including Canada, depending on the barrel length. This also took place in California, where they have the strictest gun laws in the USA. Just a point.

Ilegal in my country and guess what we do not have mass shootings.

What's your point mate that private citizens have the right to have guns then go kill each other ?

That's what gun rights in America translates to.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Ilegal in my country and guess what we do not have mass shootings.

What's your point mate that private citizens have the right to have guns then go kill each other ?

That's what gun rights in America translates to.

If you're going to make a dumb post like this at least don't quote my post from months ago...

Edited by Baer.

5 hours ago, Baer. said:

If you're going to make a dumb post like this at least don't quote my post from months ago...

What's is completely stupid is America's gun laws and those that defend them.

CNN is reporting an active shooting at a UPS facility in New Jersey:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/14/us/ups-active-shooter-logan-township-new-jersey/index.html

Some video links here:

https://6abc.com/active-shooter-situation-at-ups-facility-in-gloucester-co-nj/5074608/

This on the heels of the shooting deaths of three police officers within a week, a story about a firearm making it's way onto a flight to Japan and the Jayme Closs story....

...but the real emergency is at the Southern border.....:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1