The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Electoral Reform Referendum - Results In - Voters Reject PR

DonLever

11 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

As in 'Yes, we should stick with the current system'?  :lol:

I know the ballots have to be received by Friday, but will we know the results on Friday?

As in yes the current system sucks, let's change. 

i'm sure we won't....

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

As in 'Yes, we should stick with the current system'?  :lol:

I know the ballots have to be received by Friday, but will we know the results on Friday?

No, the results will not be know by Friday.  It will be weeks before the result be known.   The votes need to be authenticated.

BTW, it is probably too late if you did not mail in your ballot already.

However, there are drop off locations for last minute voting:

https://elections.bc.ca/referendum/about-the-referendum/referendum-resources/service-bc-referendum-service-office-locations/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIufHz_dyJ3wIVSIh-Ch1afAgjEAAYASAAEgKKhvD_BwE

3 minutes ago, DonLever said:

No, the results will not be know by Friday.  It will be weeks before the result be known.   The votes need to be authenticated.

https://elections.bc.ca/referendum/about-the-referendum/referendum-resources/service-bc-referendum-service-office-locations/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIufHz_dyJ3wIVSIh-Ch1afAgjEAAYASAAEgKKhvD_BwE

I read yesterday that they can verify and count about 100,000 ballots per day, so far its up to about 1.3 million received so yup its going to take some time. 

4 minutes ago, DonLever said:

I mailed mine long ago.

I tried checking the Elections BC website and all it says is that results will depend on turnout.  I thought maybe someone here might have heard something more definitive.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The system in place will make little to no difference in the type of representation we have.  Politicians look at their positions as 'jobs', and not as a service.  They are more interested in being elected (and re-elected) than serving the peoples' best interests.  

Sure. But as the mixed PR and FPTP system in Germany proves, PR favors fringe groups. The good side of it, is it favors parties like Green Party. The bad side of it, is it favors the Nazis like the AfD. 

What a waste of time and money the referendum was.   Millions of dollars of taxpayer money went into this exercise in futility that could have helped people in need.  Change in electoral system is never on top of people minds.  That is why turnout is low.  What people focus on is the needs of  everyday living.  The cost of living, housing, health care, education, the price of gas. etc.

Three referendums in 15 years on electoral reform.   People don't want change, yet governments keep pressing it.  Please, no more referendums.

Now with results in,  the only party that really feels bad about it is the Greens.   They got the most to gain.  And the most to lose.   The Greens are back to the fringe party they are.    I am sure the NDP are secretly happy with the results.   Under PR, the NDP would never get a majority government.   With FPTP, they can get a majority.   In fact,  the NDP would get a majority government if an election was held today since they lead in current polls.

7 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Now with results in,  the only party that really feels bad about it is the Greens.   They got the most to gain.  And the most to lose.   The Greens are back to the fringe party they are.    I am sure the NDP are secretly happy with the results.   Under PR, the NDP would never get a majority government.   With FPTP, they can get a majority.   In fact,  the NDP would get a majority government if an election was held today since they lead in current polls.

I could be totally reading this wrong, but I got the impression that the NDP did a piss-poor job of this referendum intentionally to pander to the Green's demands while not really wanting the referendum to succeed themselves.

But that's just my take.

I could be totally reading this wrong, but I got the impression that the NDP did a piss-poor job of this referendum intentionally to pander to the Green's demands while not really wanting the referendum to succeed themselves.

But that's just my take.

my take as well. The brass ring is too close for the NDP now to give PR a real attempt. Weaver is really diminished after this, if I were Horgan I'd ignore him completely now. 

But that's just my take.

PR does not favour the big parties like the NDP and the Liberals because they can get in with 40% of the vote.  The NDP traditionally hover around the 40% of the vote so they are always in contention to get a majority.   If the NDP or Liberals can get a majority, why share it with others.  If the vote was held today the NDP will get a majority.

1 minute ago, DonLever said:

PR does not favour the big parties like the NDP and the Liberals because they can get in with 40% of the vote.  The NDP traditionally hover around the 40% of the vote so they are always in contention to get a majority.   If the NDP or Liberals can get a majority, why share it with others.  If the vote was held today the NDP will get a majority.

Totally agree on all points.  That's the basis of my theory of why the NDP half-assed the referendum.

I think if they were really serious it would have been a clearer question on the ballot, only one option vs FPTP.

5 minutes ago, DonLever said:

depends on the polling firm. Insights West has them at a tie. 

Polling isn't what it used to be either, this referendum was supposed to be neck and neck. 

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

my take as well. The brass ring is too close for the NDP now to give PR a real attempt. Weaver is really diminished after this, if I were Horgan I'd ignore him completely now. 

That is a good point.  The power of Weaver is greatly weakened.   If the Greens and Weaver want to bring down the government,  Horgan say go ahead since Horgan knows he is leading in the polls and could get a majority government.  Its like "who needs you".   The Greens stand to lose the most if a snap election is held today.   They could be backed down to one seat.   For that reason , the Greens are unlikely to bring down the government.

5 minutes ago, DonLever said:

That is a good point.  The power of Weaver is greatly weakened.   If the Greens and Weaver want to bring down the government,  Horgan say go ahead since Horgan knows he is leading in the polls and could get a majority government.  Its like "who needs you".   The Greens stand to lose the most if a snap election is held today.   They could be backed down to one seat.   For that reason , the Greens are unlikely to bring down the government.

thats it exactly. Horgan has a free run to do what he wants now, and I think would be happy to run against Wilkinson who even i can't stand. 

Archived