-Vintage Canuck-

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Boston Bruins | Nov. 08, 2018

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I don't know about you guys but i think Gaudette should stay up with the team.  If the forwards can all be healthy at the same time where does Gaudette play? Has he done enough to take that spot from Granlund? Do we package Sutter in a trade for 2019 picks? Should he be a depth player in case of injury? 

Goldobin Pettersson Boeser

Baertchi Horvat Eriiksson

Roussel Sutter Virtanen 

Schaller Beagle Granlund

Leipsic Gaudette

imo goldy's time hear should be questioned. Maybe put Gaudette where goldy is to play with skilled players for a few games to see how that works out.

Edit: although as another poster pointed out Goldy does have the most assists out of all Canuck players. Is that just because he was lucky enough to be on EP's line though?

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Lines in practice:

Schaller-Horvat-Eriksson

Goldobin-Pettersson-Virtanen

Roussel-Granlund-Motte

Archibald-Gaudette-Leipsic

Gaunce

Pouliot-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Del Zotto-Stecher

Biega

I'd replace either Motte or Leipsic with Gaunce.  Also MDZ has to go

Edited by Cali Canuck
More Info

This will be a Great battle between Dahlin & EP.

The hockey world has been talking about how great Rasmus is going first overall.

No brainer for Rookie of the year

Now EP has 10 more points than Dahlin & has played 6 less games.

Too bad it's not on HNIC

5 hours ago, Oldmanpower said:

After watching preseason I was wondering what place we would land in the draft lottery. After watching this team play since the regular season started up to now, I'm seriously just wondering wtf. Enjoying every minute of every game so far. I have stopped analyzing every shift and am completely enjoying being entirely baffled about how we have gotten to this point and stopped worrying about if this is sustainable. So many things going right for this group right now. Awesomeness

So many things going wrong, really, at least in regards to injuries. But the resiliency, determination and heart/Hart are clearly on display this year. 

44 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

That wtg idiot on hfcanucks used to post good info on prospects. Now he is just a negative idiot like the rest of them. Too bad he turned into the typical hfgoof.

If it's the same WTG that is on here, he did a great job at creating gifs of goals from Utica and elsewhere, but he was also tending towards negativity and snarkiness.  Haven't seen him here for the better part of a year or more so it likely is him.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

That wtg idiot on hfcanucks used to post good info on prospects. Now he is just a negative idiot like the rest of them. Too bad he turned into the typical hfgoof.

This is what happens when stats nerds get into hockey.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I think the most encouraging thing so far is that guys who needed to step up have stepped up.

Pettersson is the obvious pick for player that has exceed expectations to start the season, but quite frankly, everyone seems to have stepped their game up.

The most notable for me are:

1. Horvat
  2. Hutton
  3. Gudbranson
  4. Virtanen
  5. Pouliot

That's not to say that guys like Stecher or Goldobin have been playing poorly.  It's more that those guys really have stepped up their game when more responsibility has been placed on them due to injuries.  It's impressive.  Whether it's sustainable remains to be seen but this should hopefully only be improved with the eventual return of Sutter, Baertschi, Edler and Beagle to the line-up.

Horvat just keeps growing every year.  It's really amazing to see.

Hutton is clearly bouncing back and playing confidently which is fantastic to see.  This might be good as it could mean that the Canucks can either be more patient with Juolevi or, if Hutton is not in their long term plans, trade him for a better return.  It will be interesting to see what they do since there should be space for Hutton to come back next season with Edler being a UFA and even with Hughes in the pipeline.

Gudbranson is finally looking confident on the ice which is a huge turnaround from the stretch just before injuries hit.  He had a decent start to the year but then seemed to fall back a bit so to see him turning it around must be a huge relief for management and a great surprise for fans.

Jake's making progress which is encouraging to see.  I think there's still room for him to become a top-6 forward but it's beginning to look like he will probably settle in as a very good top-9 winger mainly because he's not the best play maker.  Obviously not what most teams hope for from a top-10 pick, but not a terrible pick either especially since his physical game is already pretty good and can still improve.  A 40+ point top-9 winger who can affect games physically and with speed is very valuable, especially if he brings that game night in and night out.  Basically a less offensively productive Dustin Brown.  It looks like Jake is starting to figure out how to use all of the valuable tools that he is blessed with.  There's definitely still upside with Jake though, especially if he gets to play with Pettersson who seems to be able to set up any linemate with scoring chances.

As for Pouliot, he had a decent start to the year in a limited role but I will admit that I didn't think he would be able to play more steadily with more responsibility.  While he's still having his moments (bad ones), he seems to be steadying even with more responsibility.  I still don't think Pouliot will become a top-4 D at the NHL level but he should have a good future as a depth D.

I think that at the end of the day, at the center of all this is Travis Green and the coaching staff.  This is a really young team and it looks like they're finding the right amount of guidance and patience to let the players figure it out.

This a great post.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Re your list of players stepping up:

Horvat has really stepped up. He had the opportunity to concentrate on offence until both Sutter and Beagle went down, then has been forced to concentrate on defence and has really adgusted. Still putting up points. I was and still am not in favour of giving Bo the C, (this year) but I believe it will find its way to him next season. This stretch will help build his defensive game.

Much like concussions taking longer than previously thought to heal, I think the Willie/ Lidster effect takes longer than thought to heal. Gubner, Jake and Hutton all endured at least 1 season under Willie and Doug and the effect is ls slowly wearing away. I feel management mis-judged where Guber was in his career when they thought hecould anchor the 2nd pairing and stablize Hutton's game. That was aposition he was not ready for,and working with Lidster didn't help. 1 whole season + with Green and Baumer, plus a couple more years of maturity has helped both Gube and Hutton. Same is true for Virtyboy.

Pouliot is the only one not suffering a Willie hang over, but he is dealing with 1st round expectaions in Pittsburg. 

At this point I'd like to say that I think I may have sold Baumer short in the preseason. The D is progressing nicely.

Great game! good to see Eriksson start going , the guy can be streaky so hope he rides it for a bit . Markey needs to tighten up his game , 7 goals against Avs now 8 last night and we’re still a -1 soft goals are getting buy again . I’m a huge Goldie fan but maybe he needs to sit a game or 2 just to think &!maybe just shoot pucks at the net for about 16 hours or so . 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I don't know about you guys but i think Gaudette should stay up with the team.  If the forwards can all be healthy at the same time where does Gaudette play? Has he done enough to take that spot from Granlund? Do we package Sutter in a trade for 2019 picks? Should he be a depth player in case of injury? 

Goldobin Pettersson Boeser

Baertchi Horvat Eriiksson

Roussel Sutter Virtanen 

Schaller Beagle Granlund

Leipsic Gaudette

IMO Gaudette is filling in for Sutter. He has done well, but at this stage, having Gaudette getting big minutes in Utica would be better than anything atm. 

Goldy has been getting better and after a 3 point night, I wouldn’t be thinking of sitting him. 

3 points in the next 4 games (1-2-1 or 0-1-3) and the Canucks will be .500 on the road trip. Very doable as buffalo, NYI, NYR, and Minny are all beatable teams for the Canucks. 

Getting one one or two bodies back would go a long ways too

45 minutes ago, Cali Canuck said:

I'd replace either Motte or Leipsic with Gaunce.  Also MDZ has to go

Who would replace MDZ though? Canucks don’t have any other options. He’s okay in a sheltered role anyways. As long as Tanev, Guddy, and Hutton are taking on the hard matchups, it’s okay. 

Maybe in in a few months (or less) Joulevi will get a chance, but for right now MDZ is all they have

• Upvote 1

Fun to watch beer league style hockey with lots of goals.  As long as we come out on the winning side.  EP didn't have his best game but he also sat on the bench a ton while the Canucks tried to kill penalties.  Good to see Stech go after the Bruin player for hacking away at Markstrom.  However, it should be some of the bigger boys.  The Canucks need to get Hutton some MMA or boxing lessons so that he can use his size to knock a few players on their butts.  Also good to see Archibald take care of himself out there.  Too bad that you can't make a legit hit in the league anymore without getting attacked by a player on the opposing team.  And then get a five minute penalty ending your time on the ice and in the game.  What does the league expect the guy to do, turtle and get his face pummeled?  It is human nature to defend yourself when being attacked.

Del Zotto and Pouliot are still making way too many dumb plays and coughing up the puck.  I know the team is short experienced d men but come on guys--think out there.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“I actually like the turtleneck look. It might stick around!” - Hutton

DrlcpDQXcAgDymK.jpg:large

DrlcpDHWsAAro2v.jpg:large

Taking advantage of the void left by Plekanec's retirement.

5 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Fun to watch beer league style hockey with lots of goals.  As long as we come out on the winning side.  EP didn't have his best game but he also sat on the bench a ton while the Canucks tried to kill penalties.  Good to see Stech go after the Bruin player for hacking away at Markstrom.  However, it should be some of the bigger boys.  The Canucks need to get Hutton some MMA or boxing lessons so that he can use his size to knock a few players on their butts.  Also good to see Archibald take care of himself out there.  Too bad that you can't make a legit hit in the league anymore without getting attacked by a player on the opposing team.  And then get a five minute penalty ending your time on the ice and in the game.  What does the league expect the guy to do, turtle and get his face pummeled?  It is human nature to defend yourself when being attacked.

Del Zotto and Pouliot are still making way too many dumb plays and coughing up the puck.  I know the team is short experienced d men but come on guys--think out there.

I want to give some credit to DeBrusk on that play as well. When they were falling, DeBrusk had his hand on the back on Stecher's head to ensure he didn't hit his head on the ice. I think I even heard DeBrusk say "are you okay?" as well. All this despite Stecher trying to give him some shots, so props to Jake.

As for Hutton, he's shown he can lay some pretty big hits, but it's just not really his game. He's really embraced his more defensive role and now is generating some offense as well. With that said, I think he's simply earning the contract that he got and I hope he's not expecting a big raise now.

I don't think Boston/Krug was upset about Archibald's hit itself but rather the timing as it was late in the game and they were already down 8-4 I believe at that point. So it was just frustration boiling over. I'd say good on Krug, but he should be careful who he picks his battles with. If Archibald didn't want to be taken out of the game, then yes he could just turtle and give his team a 7 minute PP to end the night, but Archibald isn't the type to back down especially against a guy like Krug.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I want to give some credit to DeBrusk on that play as well. When they were falling, DeBrusk had his hand on the back on Stecher's head to ensure he didn't hit his head on the ice. I think I even heard DeBrusk say "are you okay?" as well. All this despite Stecher trying to give him some shots, so props to Jake.

As for Hutton, he's shown he can lay some pretty big hits, but it's just not really his game. He's really embraced his more defensive role and now is generating some offense as well. With that said, I think he's simply earning the contract that he got and I hope he's not expecting a big raise now.

I don't think Boston/Krug was upset about Archibald's hit itself but rather the timing as it was late in the game and they were already down 8-4 I believe at that point. So it was just frustration boiling over. I'd say good on Krug, but he should be careful who he picks his battles with. If Archibald didn't want to be taken out of the game, then yes he could just turtle and give his team a 7 minute PP to end the night, but Archibald isn't the type to back down especially against a guy like Krug.

I didn't notice this until you mentioned it. Awesome to see players competing that hard and fighting, but still respecting each other and looking out for their safety. 

• Hydration 2