The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This is Getting Harder to Ignore

Rob_Zepp

12 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Fair enough.  I haven’t analysed our cap in depth, but if there’s a fit there and it makes sense, then by all means.  

Lots of cap space. 

This a young rebuilding team. We are not in cap trouble for a few more years.

9 hours ago, gameburn said:

This is a really an interesting point of discussion.

Pouliot has been pretty good, and improving over the course of the last 18 months.  I think we are used to him being a liability and he does still make mistakes... but he isn't the same player now that he was a year ago.  Much improved, almost as much as Hutton.

Is he good enough to displace Stecher or Hughes (lol) or Juolevi or for that matter Hutton.  I guess every D could be offensively oriented, so no need to dump Pouliot to keep Tanev or Gudbranson or someone similarly reliable but not great at the offensive game.   

The most likely ones to be gone, imo, by Summer/next Fall are Edler and MDZ.  (I had thought Pouliot would be on this list, but you have changed my mind on this.)

Leaves us with Pouliot, Gudbranson, Hutton, Tanev, Juolevi, Hughes, Stecher -- which is 7 D.  If they carry 8, then Biega or Chatfield can fill in.  If Woo makes the team or Tryamkin magically reeappears -- neither is impossible imo -- then Tanev (injury prone, attractive as trade bait if healthy) could be moved at TDL or Summer.   Makes Hutton or Gudbranson the "vets."   No cap problems here, either.  Down the road, if everything/everybody keeps developing... this could be a defense to rival Nashville's.  Most are quick, a couple have unusual skill sets (Gudbranson hits like a truck and apparently can duke it out if he has to and can even kill penalties!;  Hutton and Hughes have creativity in abundance.)   Similar age of players too and all have character and even a sense of humour, which suggests good things as well.

question: does the team move MDZ, Edler and Tanev at THIS Trade deadline if they are in a playoff position?  Either for picks or a missing piece?  

You’re comparing Hutton with Hughes? 

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

I highly doubt Edler signs a one year deal. I think Benning will want two and Edler three. I figure it will end up being two of ntc with the third year a limited ntc as the comprimise.

I said in the off-season Hutton and Pouliot better show up ready to play because only one will be here long term with Juolevi and Hughes coming. Edler I believe will remain a bridge for those two to find their way. So far Hutton's winning and Pouliot is becoming expendable. But the season is far from over. Either both of them need to prove Edler expendable or one of the two will be moved. That's my opinion.

On the right side we have Tanev, Guddy, Stecher, and who? Biega? This is why i don't see Tanev getting moved this year. There's nobody really pressing for a right side spot yet.

There seem to be more left-handed D than right on a few teams.  Is that hockey-wide?  When I played I was a LH D, and yet hit right-handed in baseball. Golf RH too -- something about hockey?  

Edler for two years is okay, but if Pouliot can keep improving I think he makes Edler expendable.   Edler for 3 years!?  D can make a team now at 20 -- why tie ourselves up with an ageing not-too-fast D who has had a few injuries.  Then again, I thought Eriksson would top out at 3 goals this year and end up in Higginsville.   

Looking at it coldly, it seems to me that the team's identity is a quick, resilient, possibly deep offensive team.  Able to forecheck, score in bunches, led by Horvat and Pettersson: both are never quitters like I haven't seen in years.   Maybe it's best if all the D are quick -- which Edler isn't.   But he is so much more reliable than Pouliot and even Hutton on many nights, so it can't be an easy decision for management.  Seeing MDZ doesn't help either: free agent D are rare and many aren't any better than the ones you've let walk.   Juolevi could be the key -- his brains and initiative are there, just needs the body to catch up. 

But your idea of a bridge makes sense: I think of Tanev a bit like that too.  We're not pinched for cap space yet, and Boeser having an off year suggests he won't be making McDavid money, at least not yet.  So, we could keep Edler for 2 more... see how it plays out.  The last time I saw Jett Woo play he looked pretty good: he can skate and he has a feel for the all-round game.  It would be complicated to have Woo make the team and thrive on big minutes a year or two from now -- along with Hutton, Tanev, Gudbranson, Juolevi, Hughes and Stecher -- and still have Edler with a year or even two left in his contract.  I forgot to include Pouliot… lol... a bit of a sign perhaps. 

In watching the way the team is playing without some key players, its obvious the depth of the team has improved. Losing 7 to injury and being able to compete to this level is amazing. All credit to Benning for assembling this team, and to Travis Green for getting the most out of them every night.

The speed game has definitely been upped this season with Greens high tempo style and the lack of Daniel and Henrik slowing the game down. Again no disrespect to them but this is a different era and the team speed is there now that was lacking.

The ability to play the game whatever way the competition wants to play it. The skating game, we can play that.... the grinding game , we have the players to play that as well. That's going to make us more successful as they mature.

Someone quoted the mean statistics on shot percentage and save percentage and that we will ultimately fall to that mean average. The thing about averages is that there has to be a high end and a low end to average out. Just because the average is set at one level doesn't mean that the high percentage team will drop or that the lower percentage team will move up. It can remain there for either lower or higher teams. Same thing goes for the puck possession stats. This team is a good counter punch team. Speed off the rush and finally some finish.

The goal tending equipment change is huge as to the increase in scoring. However this is league wide. It hasn't all of a sudden given the Canucks a greater advantage than other teams.

The one really positive thing about the injuries we have had to some key players , like Edler is we have seen some other players get some power play time. The PP has dropped a bit the past few games but its good to see some other faces scoring and now we may have some other options when the first unit isnt producing.

I believe one of the issues with Canuck fans is that we have been defined by seasons where we have gotten off to good starts only to see the team regress as the season goes along. Its easy to understand why we cant accept this team may be actually very very good. I am going to enjoy the ride as they go, as they have been very entertaining to watch. Hopefully they can sustain the goal scoring. Once we get a few of the injured players back it will be fun to see what we have. I only know the depth has definitely improved. The players we have been able to plug in as replacements have stepped it up big time.

On 11/9/2018 at 2:39 PM, drdeath said:

It took until June for midnight to end Vegas’ ball last year. There’s really no way of knowing when this bubble will burst. Last year should have taught us that the folks saying “this can’t possibly last” might have to say it for a while. 

Besides, isn't that just normal for any team on a roll?  That, in an 82 game season that last months that they won't sustain things without interruption or faltering?

That's the thing for me...it's impossible to determine WHO, in the end, will find success at the right time.  That's the key...timing.  Playoffs being

part of it....some limp in with injuries, some come in on fire and with momentum.  If everything lines up, come spring any team can do it.  Hard work and determination and, if you have some momentum and luck, it can be done.

Biggest thing for me is...goaltending.   If your goaltender is playing lights out come playoffs, it's a huge step in the right direction.

I do understand that physicality is amp'd up and through the roof., But this team is young and young players are resilient.  Their bodies can bounce back quicker than older players who might feel things a bit more or on a lingering basis...even if at the dishing out end of things.  It's punishing for all teams, not just ours.  These aren't superheroes that are gone up against...they're all human beings and feel pain.   So it's not just about physical stature, it's about being able to absorb a bit of punishment and battle through it.  Kings used to be menacing in the playoffs...but now have an older roster and things have slowed down for them.  Bruins?  They're beatable...we've proven that.   It's a new era and some of the "tough" playoff performers are older...fast and furious is a bit harder to generate for entire series as you age. 

Not sure why people just assume that we're not ready.   The games leading up to the playoffs usually give a fairly good picture of that and the teams who end up there do so for a reason.

Don't base everything on the past...that was a bit of an anomaly (2011).  We could have won it all...and came close.  But things broke down and that can happen with any team...it's a fragile process.  You can't just check  off boxes of who will or won't...it has to play out and that's the beauty of it all.  That anyone who gets there has a chance.   

I don't want to write anything off because anything's possible.

I am taking this one game at a time and if we don't get there...that's ok.  We had some fun this year and were entertained.  We'll get a pick and that is a big picture good thing.  If we do...I'm in.  All in.  But that's getting WAY ahead of ourselves, which is sort of why I'm responding.  It takes away from the here and now to project in a negative way.   Pointless, because we won't know until...we know.

It is ego driven to have to "prove" things here.  I don't know and have no problem stating that.  No one does.  Even the "no one was in the Guddy" thread.  We are all Canucks...we are all on board  if we're here at all.  No one's further ahead of behind if they don't decide "good or bad" on  players or the team.  That's fluid and somewhat subjective, based on what you're looking for.

Anyhow, getting tired of hearing myself speak.  But I also feel strongly that we can't predict the future with hockey.  Or I wouldn't bother watching at all.  Been a LONG road and sometimes we've had teams that gave us NO reason to be there.  Except, that there is always hope and...you just never know.

12 hours ago, Brovat said:

You’re comparing Hutton with Hughes? 

No, not in terms of ability; I'm just trying to make the point that the best players stay, the lesser players end up somewhere else.  And that all things being equal a D that can contribute directly to the attack is valuable.  And further: it is possible not to have too many offensive D.  No reason every shift can't be more of the same flat out attack.  

But yes, Hutton and Hughes will be offensive D, so in that sense they are comparable.  Hutton is becoming the player he was meant to be, and that the team hoped he might be.  He is not a shutdown guy or a huge physical presence, I think we can agree on that.  He doesn't skate as well as Pouliot even, and for drama, Stecher might be better.  But he is an offensive D, capable of 30 to 40 points a season -- look at the growth he has made this year, he will get even better, not necessarily so dramatically, but incrementally.  If he keeps this up, he is easily in the top 3 on this D, possibly top 2.  He and Gudbranson have basically functioned as the top 2 D while Edler and Tanev have been injured. 

Hughes will be more of the same.  To my surprise they are actually going from strength to strength on this team -- another genuine offensive D, almost certainly more points in total and more goals in particular than Hutton or Juolevi -- he looks like a forward on the rush when he wants.  I'm not sure that Juolevi will be even as good as Hutton is becoming.  

I don't see Green changing the way he uses the D.  It's pinch and press in the offensive zone and run and gun when starting from their own end/neutral zone turnovers.  Horvat and Pettersson can support this, Sutter and Beagle can probably balance and protect it.  Even Virtanen is learning how to back up the D when they rush-- who'd have guessed?  This won't be like the puck possession dynasty of the Sedins in their glory years -- much more like Chicago in its heyday.  (Kane = Pettersson, Toews = Horvat, Keith = Hughes, Juolevi = Seabrook,  Hutton = a poor man's Keith or Hjalmarsson?; and Boeser? … I don't think they ever had as pure a shooter as that guy.  On the other hand, we don't have a Hossa or a Saad exactly.)   This team, when playing well, will score in bunches; probably bury many teams early.  How they'll do against teams like Winnipeg is the challenge: those guys are tough to play against, tough to run around or run over.  Washington was good -- we saw how good they were this year -- but for my money, the most difficult team they have played is Winnipeg.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Besides, isn't that just normal for any team on a roll?  That, in an 82 game season that last months that they won't sustain things without interruption or faltering?

That's the thing for me...it's impossible to determine WHO, in the end, will find success at the right time.  That's the key...timing.  Playoffs being

part of it....some limp in with injuries, some come in on fire and with momentum.  If everything lines up, come spring any team can do it.  Hard work and determination and, if you have some momentum and luck, it can be done.

Biggest thing for me is...goaltending.   If your goaltender is playing lights out come playoffs, it's a huge step in the right direction.

I do understand that physicality is amp'd up and through the roof., But this team is young and young players are resilient.  Their bodies can bounce back quicker than older players who might feel things a bit more or on a lingering basis...even if at the dishing out end of things.  It's punishing for all teams, not just ours.  These aren't superheroes that are gone up against...they're all human beings and feel pain.   So it's not just about physical stature, it's about being able to absorb a bit of punishment and battle through it.  Kings used to be menacing in the playoffs...but now have an older roster and things have slowed down for them.  Bruins?  They're beatable...we've proven that.   It's a new era and some of the "tough" playoff performers are older...fast and furious is a bit harder to generate for entire series as you age. 

Not sure why people just assume that we're not ready.   The games leading up to the playoffs usually give a fairly good picture of that and the teams who end up there do so for a reason.

Don't base everything on the past...that was a bit of an anomaly (2011).  We could have won it all...and came close.  But things broke down and that can happen with any team...it's a fragile process.  You can't just check  off boxes of who will or won't...it has to play out and that's the beauty of it all.  That anyone who gets there has a chance.   

I don't want to write anything off because anything's possible.

I am taking this one game at a time and if we don't get there...that's ok.  We had some fun this year and were entertained.  We'll get a pick and that is a big picture good thing.  If we do...I'm in.  All in.  But that's getting WAY ahead of ourselves, which is sort of why I'm responding.  It takes away from the here and now to project in a negative way.   Pointless, because we won't know until...we know.

It is ego driven to have to "prove" things here.  I don't know and have no problem stating that.  No one does.  Even the "no one was in the Guddy" thread.  We are all Canucks...we are all on board  if we're here at all.  No one's further ahead of behind if they don't decide "good or bad" on  players or the team.  That's fluid and somewhat subjective, based on what you're looking for.

Anyhow, getting tired of hearing myself speak.  But I also feel strongly that we can't predict the future with hockey.  Or I wouldn't bother watching at all.  Been a LONG road and sometimes we've had teams that gave us NO reason to be there.  Except, that there is always hope and...you just never know.

Yes, no predicting really.  Who would have guessed that Hutton has made such a jump forward.  Who would have guessed that Pettersson is such a force -- his playmaking is changing the team from top to bottom, let alone his shooting.  What about Gudbranson?  The guy has been terrific -- a lot of us were beginning to wonder if he'd ever get it together.  

The theme is youth: just about everybody over the age of 27 has been injured and out of the line up much of the year -- certainly they have been missing in all the road games.  The exception has been Eriksson!!  Who'd have guessed that?  But the much vaunted Beagle is nowhere in sight, Sutter is out again, like a couple years back (but this time no tailspin) and Roussel and Tanev along with Edler have not really made the difference. 

Who has been there through thick and thin, and carried the team?  Horvat among the forwards, and Hutton, Stecher and Gudbranson for the D.  Pettersson and Boeser have been great when able to play, but they have missed a surprising amount of games.  And the goaltending has been a bit better than last year, Nilsson in particular has given them the chance to win when Markstrom is not playing.   And he too has been injured and the team still has found ways to get points.  (That last loss to Buffalo may not have happened if Nilsson were available -- we have all been predicting that Markstrom would start to get tired.)

Imagine when the team is back from injury and possibly still in playoff contention (2nd week of February?)  Boeser healthy, and Pettersson given 2 games off to rest?  Sutter and Beagle to give Horvat and Pettersson the occasional rest.  And Nilsson able to fill in so that Markstrom is fresh for a run? 

Edmonton proved that if you have enough talent, youth is not a problem.  In fact, it's an asset as soon as you get past that first tricky opponent.  (They lost on their first couple of tries if I remember right: first to LA, then to the Islanders.)  An older team would not have had the energy for all that travel, nor the time to lose a couple of times and still have the career length to be dominant the next 5 or 6 years.  The Canucks have this potential.  The Oilers were built by the draft, excluding Fuhr and Gretzky who were WHA carry overs if I remember right.   All the rest were drafted, just like the Canucks have done since starting with Virtanen.  Our GM will have the years that Sather (and Gordon) had too.

If they make the playoffs this year -- not impossible -- they will learn a lot.

If they make them the year after that?  

It could be a bit like the '80s when a dynasty was built around an offensive team with the best player in hockey, and the best 2nd line center in hockey.  And the most mobile D. 

History would really be repeating itself if Winnipeg was the nemesis that could never quite win it all.  All those years that Hawerchuck and friends were in the top 5 in the league, but couldn't get past Edmonton. 

At the moment though, Winnipeg is better.  But how soon before we pass them?

On 08/11/2018 at 8:02 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

There is no question the Canucks are not ready to be consistently competitive in the March/April sense and will fall short of the playoffs this year but the game in and game out effort, style of play and general growth of their young players is beyond anyone's expectation I am certain.   I would say, without doubt, they are the surprise of the league and if Green isn't seen as being the best coach out of the gate in the entire league, then someone isn't paying enough attention to what is happening out of west coast of Canada.

What is remarkable is that NO other team in the NHL, let alone the teams near them in the standings in the West like Calgary and Edmonton, are:

• Without arguable their best Dman who is also (for better or worse) their PP QB - he has only played in 10 or 17 games so far this year
  • Without arguably their best goal scorer who isn't a freak of nature Swedish rookie - he has played 13 of 17 games this year and arguably many of them hampered
  • Without arguably their most important free agent signing and one of the best face-off and PK specialists in the entire league and who has only played only 5 of 17 games
  • Have had their other best Dman play in 13 of 17 games
  • Have their third line center, and huge presence on PK, missing for past four games and counting
  • Have their first line left winger only in 10 games so far this and likely gone for quite a while longer
  • Their only NHL ready other goalie gone for several weeks already
  • 10 of their first 17 games on the road and included on that would be against teams like Tampa, Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, Boston.....

IF you took those items above and said that was going to happen over the first 17 games, after coming off the one win exhibition season where goals were harder to come by than decorum at a White House press gathering, who would have projected this team to be four games over 500 and scoring at a rate they haven't done since winning President's trophies.    

I think this is getting harder to ignore.   I know they will hit a wall soon - they have to.   However, anyone who thinks this is not a team on the rise is nuts.   Watching players like Virtanen emerge, Hutton's resurrection, Horvat become part of the league's elite (in Boston he goes 14-16 in the dot and has 4 points....not star, SUPERstar), Guddy returning to the form they traded for and so forth is so inspiring but when you add in the very phenomena that is EP40 and know what is still coming from Utica and US College etc. - I guess "impossible to ignore" is more the right thing to say.

Great thing is as well, we're just getting started. Yes we have signings to do etc but look how we're doing so far, i see mr B going for upgrades but not selling the farm to do so and all this without Boeser at his finest... pretty cool!

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:02 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

There is no question the Canucks are not ready to be consistently competitive in the March/April sense and will fall short of the playoffs this year but the game in and game out effort, style of play and general growth of their young players is beyond anyone's expectation I am certain.   I would say, without doubt, they are the surprise of the league and if Green isn't seen as being the best coach out of the gate in the entire league, then someone isn't paying enough attention to what is happening out of west coast of Canada.

What is remarkable is that NO other team in the NHL, let alone the teams near them in the standings in the West like Calgary and Edmonton, are:

• Without arguable their best Dman who is also (for better or worse) their PP QB - he has only played in 10 or 17 games so far this year
  • Without arguably their best goal scorer who isn't a freak of nature Swedish rookie - he has played 13 of 17 games this year and arguably many of them hampered
  • Without arguably their most important free agent signing and one of the best face-off and PK specialists in the entire league and who has only played only 5 of 17 games
  • Have had their other best Dman play in 13 of 17 games
  • Have their third line center, and huge presence on PK, missing for past four games and counting
  • Have their first line left winger only in 10 games so far this and likely gone for quite a while longer
  • Their only NHL ready other goalie gone for several weeks already
  • 10 of their first 17 games on the road and included on that would be against teams like Tampa, Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, Boston.....

IF you took those items above and said that was going to happen over the first 17 games, after coming off the one win exhibition season where goals were harder to come by than decorum at a White House press gathering, who would have projected this team to be four games over 500 and scoring at a rate they haven't done since winning President's trophies.    

I think this is getting harder to ignore.   I know they will hit a wall soon - they have to.   However, anyone who thinks this is not a team on the rise is nuts.   Watching players like Virtanen emerge, Hutton's resurrection, Horvat become part of the league's elite (in Boston he goes 14-16 in the dot and has 4 points....not star, SUPERstar), Guddy returning to the form they traded for and so forth is so inspiring but when you add in the very phenomena that is EP40 and know what is still coming from Utica and US College etc. - I guess "impossible to ignore" is more the right thing to say.

If this goes much longer and, as you say we can't ignore the result, then I think we can draw a conclusion: the team's youth is better than we thought, and the older players(Edler, Tanev) and the new FAs may be less important than we thought.  EP40 and Boeser have been enough of a factor when playing to make a difference, but doing without one of them and sometimes both has not killed the team.  I'm not convinced that the same is true of Edler or Tanev -- I think that if this rise (or lack of collapse, even) continues, then we are able to draw conclusions about the re-signing of Edler and the trade potential of Tanev. (I'm not saying that they will trade Tanev, only that he is not indispensable anymore.)  

If this continues, the TDL and summer will be about moving the older and the redundant, with  some exceptions.  Tanev is staying, and at least 2 of the new FAs look like keepers (Schaller and probably Beagle -- if only to see if the latter can play, lol.  Roussel can be moved.  

People who still think that it's still a good idea to shop Hutton are nuts: this guy is staying, and along with Hughes and possibly Gudbranson are the future of the D.  The interesting question is whether Pouliot stays, too.

On 11/8/2018 at 8:02 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Horvat become part of the league's elite (in Boston he goes 14-16 in the dot and has 4 points....not star, SUPERstar),

The stats sheet says 16/30 (53%), slightly inferior to both Petey's and Gaudette's 6/11 (55%) - Granlund at 7 - 15 was 47%.

Still a gutsy performance considering he took 30 of the 75 faceoffs with only 5 in the offensive zone

Bergeron (11/25) was owned by everyone except Granny

11 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Early on, the doubters pointed to advanced stats to declare the Canucks' start unsustainable.  But not only has that been debunked, but there is a clear progression happening as the season progresses:

It feels as if the team is figuring out how to play -- establishing an identity. 

They do seem to be out-chancing the other teams recently.  We certainly remember when it was the opposite.

Team speed and a pinching D probably explain some of this -- it would be interesting to see whether Corsi numbers are better when Edler (slower and falling back to block shots) is out and Pouliot and Hutton (faster and more about intercepting passes)  are getting more minutes.  Also, EP40 seems to put other teams back on their heels; makes them vulnerable to the kinds of shots that bypass shotblockers, result in one-timers, etc. 

On 08/11/2018 at 11:38 PM, beni said:

I am cautiously optimistic.

I love the way the guys are playing right now, they have something to prove. If the momentum continues when Sutter and Beagle are back they will have a very strong first half. 

Frak caution, I'm optimistic.

9 hours ago, Brovat said:

Considering Edler has a NTC and has said he doesn’t want to play anywhere else I doubt he will be moved.

How many times will this myth keep being repeated?  I know the answer -- all season.

It's not 2014 any longer.  Yeah he wants to stay, so do most players.  But he's on an expiring contract and is eventually going to reach the point where he has to decide whether he wants to waive and get to a place where he can win and possibly re-sign there, waive and have the opportunity to come back here, or simply by told he won't be back and has to move on anyway.

"In the end, I get to decide [for myself]," Edler told Expressen, "but if the team wants [a trade] ... well, then you get to decide whether you want to play for a team that does not want you."

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

How many times will this myth keep being repeated?  I know the answer -- all season.

It's not 2014 any longer.  Yeah he wants to stay, so do most players.  But he's on an expiring contract and is eventually going to reach the point where he has to decide whether he wants to waive and get to a place where he can win and possibly re-sign there, waive and have the opportunity to come back here, or simply by told he won't be back and has to move on anyway.

The guy has millions in the bank. He doesn’t have to do anything at all. He could feed pizzas into the slot for the rest of the year and wouldn’t have to be traded. 

Neat millenial take on things though. 

Archived