The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This is Getting Harder to Ignore

Rob_Zepp

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Not to mention missing our best D man, our best sniper, our best LW'er and our two best defensive C's (which is also having the side effect of forcing Horvat in to a defensive role/playing with less talented offensive players and limiting his offense) with injuries.

Gee, I wonder why our GA is struggling, particularly of late :rolleyes:

That it's mid Nov today and we sit 2nd in our division despite being a young, mid rebuild team with a boat load of key injuries, is nothing short of a miracle.

Second in the division makes it sound way better then it is though, we are a lot better then people thought but teams behind us either have sucked or have games in hand and another loss with a win or two by like three or four teams and were sitting fifth in division.

this is record wise the worst division in the league. Metro could be worse but they have the last three cup winners so yeah....

10 wins in 20 games shouldn’t be able to get you to second in the division in any league.

6 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Burke had some interesting comments on the Edler waiving issue this morning vis. no-trade clauses (prefaced by yes, he would ask him).

First he said that he felt he had no responsibility to honour NTC/NMCs signed by previous managers.  Second, he never gave out fulls, only partial NTCs which required players submit lists.  Third was his example of Kaberle, who had a full NTC which he refused to waive when asked.  Burke then told him that he'd played his last game there, and magically a list appeared.  Burke doing it #burkestyle.

Burke must be going senile. Both Kaberle and Sundin refused to waive at the trade deadline in 2008. Sundin walked as a ufa. Burke tried to move Kaberle at the deadline in 2010 and had 3 teams to deal with and no takers. The following year Kaberle unconditionally waived at the deadline.

"Tomas Kaberle has a no-trade clause, and that was given to him in good faith," Burke said. "I think players can only get them if they have a certain level of seniority and a certain level of expertise. And I think organizations are bound by those things, whether it's the same GM who gave it to the player or not."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/burke-kaberle-was-willing-to-waive-no-trade-for-three-teams/article4308736/

32 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Burke must be going senile. Both Kaberle and Sundin refused to waive at the trade deadline in 2008. Sundin walked as a ufa. Burke tried to move Kaberle at the deadline in 2010 and had 3 teams to deal with and no takers. The following year Kaberle unconditionally waived at the deadline.

So maybe that was his cover -- he couldn't make a deal, so he fell back on claiming he never asked him to waive?

7 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Burke had some interesting comments on the Edler waiving issue this morning vis. no-trade clauses (prefaced by yes, he would ask him).

First he said that he felt he had no responsibility to honour NTC/NMCs signed by previous managers.  Second, he never gave out fulls, only partial NTCs which required players submit lists.  Third was his example of Kaberle, who had a full NTC which he refused to waive when asked.  Burke then told him that he'd played his last game there, and magically a list appeared.  Burke doing it #burkestyle.

How do you think Benning got Garrison to waive.  

6 minutes ago, mll said:

How do you think Benning got Garrison to waive.  

Kept asking.  Eventually Garrison figured out that he wasn't wanted and agreed to Tampa, at least over St. Louis.  Pretty much reflects Edler's change in comments afterwards about being able to decide if you'd still want to be in such a situation, and where you'd want to go.

17 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

we are a lot better then people thought

Probably could have just stopped there.

I don't think anyone's trying to sell the team as a cup contender but it's hard to deny the team's better than most imagined we'd be at this point of the rebuild. That's basically the end of the point.

Our 'weak' division is largely canceled by the amount of injuries we've sustained to key players too. None of this exists in a vacuum.

18 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Second in the division makes it sound way better then it is though, we are a lot better then people thought but teams behind us either have sucked or have games in hand and another loss with a win or two by like three or four teams and were sitting fifth in division.

this is record wise the worst division in the league. Metro could be worse but they have the last three cup winners so yeah....

10 wins in 20 games shouldn’t be able to get you to second in the division in any league.

I guess it's a matter of opinion here...I feel like you're making it sound way WORSE THAN it is.

If you want to look beyond where we're at...look at the fact that we get some of the worst scheduling.  On the road forever, come home and play for 2 games, then back out on the road again.  And yes, injuries are a factor.  Bo's taken more f/o's than anyone in the league at this point and so we need to consider that he's not getting a whole lot of relief there.

When you say things like "teams behind us have either sucked"......annnd?   You make excuses for other teams, however, when we're in a bit of a lull there are none?  You apply a double set of standards here.

I hate labeling teams "good" or "bad".  All teams will go through good and bad periods.  

When you build yourself a buffer, you can afford to fall a bit.  

Look, either way...we're good.  If we plummet, we get picks and add to the excitement.  If we stay in the mix, it means our guys are developing nicely and can compete.  It's a boost to their confidence.  I don't know that the naysayers are. 

Having the injuries we've had and the schedule we've had, we shouldn't BE in the position we're in, but we are.  So don't ignore that part.  We got there grinding it out.  Who's to know what could happen when we're healthy and get a good home stretch?  Don't just look at it from one perspective (the negative one)....there is always something positive to take away.

26 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

When you say things like "teams behind us have either sucked"......annnd?   You make excuses for other teams, however, when we're in a bit of a lull there are none?  You apply a double set of standards here.

this^

Yes we are in a bit of a slump.  We have a lot of key injuries. We have played more road games than, I believe, any other team. And our geographical situation makes our team have a lot of mileage / jetlag to endure, compared to other teams.

So in our conference what's ...

Colorado's,

Calgary's,

Dallas's,

Edmonton's,

Arizona's.

Anaheim's,

Chicago's,

Los Vegas's,

St. Louis's,

Los Angeles's

.....excuse?

All of which we are ahead of at present.

I'll wait until our home game / road game, and games played, balances out better.  Plus at least a few of our top players back, before I will make predictions about a failed season.

On 2018-11-10 at 7:07 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Lol nice. I’m just telling it like it is though. We have some great peices but the puzzle isn’t yet complete. We need to figure out this injury epidemic though, cause making the playoffs this year would be amazing. Would love for all the “experts” to eat crow. 

19 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It's getting harder to ignore that this thread jinxed us!  Delete it Rob, let us go back to our winning ways.  I know goalies are superstitious. 

This is why I looked at this thread at pretty much face-palmed. lol

On 2018-11-17 at 8:52 PM, Baggins said:

I just could help but connect a few poster names to that.... :lol:

Some people on this board do seem miserable to the extent of why would I even want to hang out with them? Being so negative typically gets people nowhere. Optimism makes the world go around, not some sort of false sense of "realism".

On 2018-11-16 at 12:38 AM, Baggins said:

"Tomas Kaberle has a no-trade clause, and that was given to him in good faith," Burke said. "I think players can only get them if they have a certain level of seniority and a certain level of expertise. And I think organizations are bound by those things, whether it's the same GM who gave it to the player or not."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/burke-kaberle-was-willing-to-waive-no-trade-for-three-teams/article4308736/

Nah, he’s just being himself, Lowe pegged Burke where he lives when he said he’s all bluster and lives for the cameras.    “That’s a small body gentleman, a small body”...still it’s hard not to like him.  His five year plan started and ended about where, we’ll he started and ended.   One cup gained him a lot of capital, as did his work with assembling most of the best Canucks team that we ever had.  Good hockey mind, and great for a sound bite.  He would have drafted Bouchard no doubt.  Back in the O and crushing it draft plus one.   Make a decent replacement for grapes once he’s ready for retirement. 

On 11/17/2018 at 11:59 AM, debluvscanucks said:

I guess it's a matter of which side you choose to be on.

You can choose to be as negative as you want.   I am enjoying watching this team build identity and character.    Good season so far, the progress is apparent for anyone who cares to really see it.

On 11/17/2018 at 1:51 AM, messier's_elbow said:

Lol nice. I’m just telling it like it is though. We have some great peices but the puzzle isn’t yet complete. We need to figure out this injury epidemic though, cause making the playoffs this year would be amazing. Would love for all the “experts” to eat crow. 

Playoffs were unlikely before the season and remain that way now but experts have already eaten lots of crow.   Canucks man-games lost up near lead in league (actually is leading) and they give every team they play a hard game.   They have had a brutal schedule that improves dramatically after Christmas for them.   Who knows, getting healthy and having a better schedule - not like the league is running away from them and injuries will catch up to other teams.   

On 11/13/2018 at 9:09 AM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I agree with everything but your opening line...

All the things you stated actually make the opening line refutable ..in that we are were we are without all those players...when we get those guys back ...plus the young guys (most of the team) keep improving...I don't see any wall to hit.

We may go on a 3 game losing streak or maybe 4 but that is about it ...I have stated we will be a playoff contender this year since last spring ...but recently I am calling us a playoff team...we are going to make the playoffs this year...!

Just watch...!

Love your optimism.   I just posted my opinion and it remains that.   I am excited about this team and seem many consistent playoff years ahead but not quite yet.   I hope I am wrong but I don't think so - in that I don't think they are quite ready.    Again, more than happy to be proven wrong.

Even though this team is "mired" in a losing streak right now, they are still showing resilience that wasn't apparent in previous incarnations. A new core and identity is definitely emerging, and that's a huge positive. This team continues to grow and show all kinds of character in the face of adversity.

Losing six roster players to injury hurts any team, but could have disastrous effects on a team's psyche, especially a young one. The Canucks, however, have battled through it as admirably as any team can. Once these players return to the line-up, that resilience will have served the roster very well. Those kinds of experiences can't be bought. They're earned, and the Canucks have earned every bit of it.

As a fan, I'm proud of this group of players. They will accomplish great things in the not to distant future.

Archived