The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This is Getting Harder to Ignore

Rob_Zepp

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Love your optimism.   I just posted my opinion and it remains that.   I am excited about this team and seem many consistent playoff years ahead but not quite yet.   I hope I am wrong but I don't think so - in that I don't think they are quite ready.    Again, more than happy to be proven wrong.

We have gone on an extended losing streak since my quote....but I still us making the playoffs.

As soon as  Boeser, Sutter and Beagle are back I think we can go on a win streak to rival this losing streak and getting Baer and Edler back will only help that along.

The next round of injuries guys like Gaudette, Motte and Liepsic will be more experienced at dealing with the added responsibilities and guys like MacEwen, Joulevi and Dahlen will be ready for callups instead of Archie and Boucher or even Gagner.

The goaltending is the shaky part...but there has been some visible improvement in both our goalies ...so we shall see.

The one thing that is for sure is that we are better able to handle multiple injuries this year and that will only continue to get better as the young guns progress... 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 1:51 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

We have gone on an extended losing streak since my quote....but I still us making the playoffs.

As soon as  Boeser, Sutter and Beagle are back I think we can go on a win streak to rival this losing streak and getting Baer and Edler back will only help that along.

The next round of injuries guys like Gaudette, Motte and Liepsic will be more experienced at dealing with the added responsibilities and guys like MacEwen, Joulevi and Dahlen will be ready for callups instead of Archie and Boucher or even Gagner.

The goaltending is the shaky part...but there has been some visible improvement in both our goalies ...so we shall see.

The one thing that is for sure is that we are better able to handle multiple injuries this year and that will only continue to get better as the young guns progress... 

This year really isn't about winning and losing for this team.   The wins are nice when they happen but the team is a dramatically different one than was on the ice last year.   You can feel a different vibe even when watching a delayed feed across the pond.   Sure they are still making mistakes, goaltending has been "meh" for the most part and the number of key injuries has been beyond reasonable but the Canucks are slowly but surely becoming one of the truly exciting teams in the league.   They have had numerous games recently when their top 6 forward averaged under 23 years of age for all six - that is outstanding!   

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018 at 9:15 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

It's getting harder to ignore that this thread jinxed us!  Delete it Rob, let us go back to our winning ways.  I know goalies are superstitious. 

Canucks have played consistently hard all year - they had a lack of one-goal game success for better part of a month there but more and more people around hockey are taking notice of this team.   The Vancouver Canucks are getting harder to ignore and with a bit of puck luck could easily be five to eight games above .500 which is insane given where they are on their rebuild curve.    Ironic thing is they have not had their top 9 forwards and top 6 D in the lineup all at the same time for even five games yet this year - so it is entirely reasonable to think their record is very much influenced by that rash of injuries.   

Really interesting that after their current 6 game road trip they will have only have 15 more road games for the rest of the season and more home games left than any team in the league.    If they can get back from the road trip at/near .500, they stand a really good chance of exceeding the projected point totals by most everyone who knows much about hockey had in mind for them.....and while this isn't a season about points for them, it is another indication of how quickly this is starting to happen under Green and his up-tempo style.

19 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Ironic thing is they have not had their top 9 forwards and top 6 D in the lineup all at the same time for even five games yet this year - so it is entirely reasonable to think their record is very much influenced by that rash of injuries.   

It is injuries for sure, the last 7 years all the losses have been due to injuries. Other teams just don't get any.

I am so sick of "it is all because of injuries" year after year, sure injuries make a difference but to expect the team to go a whole year without is not sensible, you think we have it bad look at Ana, Edmonton, LA, the Preds any number of teams that have had more key players hurt. Why not just post they would win the Stanley Cup if not for injuries year after year.

Is Dorsetts injury hurting the team this year? LaPlante's? Has not Levio and Goldoblin played as good as Sven or even better? Who has subbed in for Sutter? Who comes out if Sven and Sutter both come back?

Year after year injuries are blamed, but nothing is done to replace the injured, no trading, well this year there is cap space the previous four the team was capped out for some reason.

The team is doing just fine, they have another draft pick playing, two with Gaudette playing for an injured Sutter, they are scoring but where the team relied on the Sedins before they are now leaning on Pettersson.

What should be harder to ignore is how fast other teams have turned it around with their new management installed. So much misdirection and "magic"

On 12/29/2018 at 9:26 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

It is injuries for sure, the last 7 years all the losses have been due to injuries. Other teams just don't get any.

I am so sick of "it is all because of injuries" year after year, sure injuries make a difference but to expect the team to go a whole year without is not sensible, you think we have it bad look at Ana, Edmonton, LA, the Preds any number of teams that have had more key players hurt. Why not just post they would win the Stanley Cup if not for injuries year after year.

Is Dorsetts injury hurting the team this year? LaPlante's? Has not Levio and Goldoblin played as good as Sven or even better? Who has subbed in for Sutter? Who comes out if Sven and Sutter both come back?

Year after year injuries are blamed, but nothing is done to replace the injured, no trading, well this year there is cap space the previous four the team was capped out for some reason.

The team is doing just fine, they have another draft pick playing, two with Gaudette playing for an injured Sutter, they are scoring but where the team relied on the Sedins before they are now leaning on Pettersson.

What should be harder to ignore is how fast other teams have turned it around with their new management installed. So much misdirection and "magic"

What is the colour of the sky in your world?   

21 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:26 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

What is the colour of the sky in your world?

Ditto. Rose coloured by any chance?:goat::whip::lol:

On 12/29/2018 at 9:26 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

I agree, but for a team that lost its two biggest scorers and leaders in the twins  this season they have done remarkably well. I can see why people have some optimism here. Injuries do happen to every team and the lack of the depth we have still shows up in the losing streak that caused.

What we still need to develop is the depth so that when we have injuries we dont win once in 13 games. When healthy i believe we can compete with most teams in the league.Having said that take 7 starters out of any team and they will not produce the same way.

My expectations for this team this season have been posted in our prediction thread. I still stand by that prediction. roughly 84 points, just miss the wildcard spot

Petterson is playing as good or better than we could have hoped but its a long season and the question is can he handle that. and the travel.

Markstrom has played great in December but is that just a teaser or has he really figured it all out.

We still struggle on D. Maybe Hughes will be the difference but i am still thinking it will take an upgrade at RHD to move the needle here.

Its better than most expected, we play a fun style of hockey to watch. The team is young and improving every week.

Sooner or later we have to decide who stays and who goes. I really was hoping OJ would be ready to go this season. Next year could be a good year if we can upgrade the D.

10 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:26 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

I agree, but for a team that lost its two biggest scorers and leaders in the twins  this season they have done remarkably well. I can see why people have some optimism here. Injuries do happen to every team and the lack of the depth we have still shows up in the losing streak that caused.

What we still need to develop is the depth so that when we have injuries we dont win once in 13 games. When healthy i believe we can compete with most teams in the league.Having said that take 7 starters out of any team and they will not produce the same way.

My expectations for this team this season have been posted in our prediction thread. I still stand by that prediction. roughly 84 points, just miss the wildcard spot

Petterson is playing as good or better than we could have hoped but its a long season and the question is can he handle that. and the travel.

Markstrom has played great in December but is that just a teaser or has he really figured it all out.

We still struggle on D. Maybe Hughes will be the difference but i am still thinking it will take an upgrade at RHD to move the needle here.

Its better than most expected, we play a fun style of hockey to watch. The team is young and improving every week.

Sooner or later we have to decide who stays and who goes. I really was hoping OJ would be ready to go this season. Next year could be a good year if we can upgrade the D.

I had to go back to read my thread;

The Canucks start off the season like they are shot out of cannon.

In the beginning, the first 35 games;

The PP is on fire, Boeser and Horvat on the first unit improve PP goals.

Beagle shows some unexpected scoring skills

Edler shines in this his contract year

Eriksson plays with Pettersson and improves his numbers due high level passes

The D relies heavily on Tanev and Edler in their own zone.

Stecher steps up and scores more often 

The team is challenging for the top until November 20th,

By December 1 they are either in a playoff spot or close but only by 4 points.

Not bad, some big misses. By Nov. 20 they were 3rd in the division 4 pts behind 1rst by December 1 they were within 4 points of a playoff spot.

Beagle didn't play so a miss

Edler is shining so a hit

Erkisson did play a couple of games but he hasn't added to the score sheet so a miss

The team plays Edler and Tanev to death really leaning on them, so a hit (not much of guess really)

Stecher has gone backwards so a huge miss

The PP has improved markedly so a hit

Now if I was to add to that, I was going to after watching a week or two, I would have added that January would be a wash and February would have injuries and the team would have some issues.

Benning will do nothing at the TDL except sign Edler to an 8 year 8 mil per season contract with 4 years of a NMC and 3 years of a modified NTC, the contract will be heavily laden with signing bonus money,

The team will finish in a lottery spot (27th/28th) and get lucky this year moving up, but not to first.

That is what I would have posted back in October. I think now there is a better likelihood of finishing 25th or 26th because LA and Chicago declined un-expectantly (tanked).

I still think the amount Edler and Tanev are playing will see them miss another 20 games combined or just get run down.

I still think Benning will sign Edler to an absurd contract and he will not make any trades for more picks. Just give away more picks for pygmy players in their 8th year of being a pro in the AHL and call them a "prospects".

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I had to go back to read my thread;

The Canucks start off the season like they are shot out of cannon.

In the beginning, the first 35 games;

The PP is on fire, Boeser and Horvat on the first unit improve PP goals.

Beagle shows some unexpected scoring skills

Edler shines in this his contract year

Eriksson plays with Pettersson and improves his numbers due high level passes

The D relies heavily on Tanev and Edler in their own zone.

Stecher steps up and scores more often 

The team is challenging for the top until November 20th,

By December 1 they are either in a playoff spot or close but only by 4 points.

Not bad, some big misses. By Nov. 20 they were 3rd in the division 4 pts behind 1rst by December 1 they were within 4 points of a playoff spot.

Beagle didn't play so a miss

Edler is shining so a hit

Erkisson did play a couple of games but he hasn't added to the score sheet so a miss

The team plays Edler and Tanev to death really leaning on them, so a hit (not much of guess really)

Stecher has gone backwards so a huge miss

The PP has improved markedly so a hit

Now if I was to add to that, I was going to after watching a week or two, I would have added that January would be a wash and February would have injuries and the team would have some issues.

Benning will do nothing at the TDL except sign Edler to an 8 year 8 mil per season contract with 4 years of a NMC and 3 years of a modified NTC, the contract will be heavily laden with signing bonus money,

The team will finish in a lottery spot (27th/28th) and get lucky this year moving up, but not to first.

That is what I would have posted back in October. I think now there is a better likelihood of finishing 25th or 26th because LA and Chicago declined un-expectantly (tanked).

I still think the amount Edler and Tanev are playing will see them miss another 20 games combined or just get run down.

I still think Benning will sign Edler to an absurd contract and he will not make any trades for more picks. Just give away more picks for pygmy players in their 8th year of being a pro in the AHL and call them a "prospects".

Still sore over your Flames losing?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they keep displaying character - oodles of character.   This is like watching something evolve at a pace that is faster than you expected and the results look very tantalizing.   Imaging EP40 and Boeser after two or three seasons of chemistry and experience, Bo taking another step, seeing Hughes emerge, watching Juolevi get past his current hurdles, seeing Demko establish himself, etc. etc.  

The build is being done the right way.    Fun to watch.:)

Archived