The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This is Getting Harder to Ignore

Rob_Zepp

The qualifier is just look at the standings. Yes it's 10 wins in 17 games, and one overtime loss for 21 points. The Canucks have played more games, and 3 other teams 

Calgary, San Jose, and Dallas have 19 points and a game in hand. 

Lose a couple of games in a row yes we can plummet down the standings. That's where the parity comes in. 

But in the end. The team still has major injuries to key players. And are winning against tough teams. I think it's the fact this team is living up to Green's Mantra and buying in. 

Hard work, teamwork, go to the net, use your speed. Keep shots to the outside. 

In short. BATTLE, BATTLE BATTLE! 

That's the kind of hockey that will bring sellouts back to Rogers Arena. And make for damn entertaining hockey. Win or lose the team is keeping it close in most games. 

So what happens, happens.

Just ENJOY THE RIDE!

While I feel our play has been surprising, it's SOOOO much more surprising if you consider that we are doing it without key individuals.  I'm not going to lie - when our guys started going down I did expect it (always seems to happen to us) but I figured it would lead us to the same situation that we've been in over the last couple of years - whereby we look not that bad but can't compete due to lack of...something.  Depth?  Drive?  I don't know.

But somehow this time around we've truly battled through it.  Maybe it's that new "Battle" moniker that has been thrown around.  Maybe its Green.  Maybe it is sustainable but maybe not.  

Regardless, what we have seen is exactly what I wanted to see.  Our guys are working hard.  Our team is faster.  Our young guys are developing. Even if we falter in the standings (and I still expect us to), if we keep doing what we're doing I will consider this season a success.

I am a long time Canucks fan, so that means when things are going well I always assume the other shoe is going to drop and I will end up disappointed.

In this case, I am not fussed about whether we make the playoffs or not.  I would rather we do, but if we just miss a wild card spot I don’t think that is a tragedy either... it means we overplayed expectations by a long shot.  The smaller chance at a high draft pick isn’t a big issue in that context.

11 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Great post.

unlike the three previous seasons, the Canucks seem to be far more resistant to the injury bug and seemingly have more depth everywhere (net, far, up front.....and even on defense).

I’m cautiously optimistic.  I love what I see so far give or take 1-2 things.  One game at a time.

Boeser's injury, and the loss of the 4th and 3rd center are huge.   Edler has been better the last year and a bit, but tbh he is not the future and probably not a big part of the present.  Pouliot, and Stecher have both improved over last year -- Green's system is really helping too.  But on D, the real story is that of Gudbranson and Hutton:  it's as if they are here on the team for the first time -- totally different players.   Gudbranson is physical and a hero on pk, Hutton is the best offensive D we have until Hughes gets here. Amazing.   The goaltending is no better than Miller's work but more consistent than last year's work by the same 2 goalies -- again, improvement is the theme.

So many of the Canucks are still at the age/stage of career where they are improving.  This is huge for the future and huge for the morale and energy on the team.  

Wait til Hughes, Woo and Lind get here, lol.   If Gadjovich and Dahlen can play at the NHL level, then the sky is the limit for this team.  

When Pettersson gets better line-mates (Lind, Hughes, Dahlen, mainly) to go along with Baertschi and Boeser?  More goals, more ways to win.  Also, Goalie equipment is returning to normal (the way it was for a hundred years until Roy changed things) which will make the Canucks offense even more potent -- Virtanen, Boeser, Pettersson and Dahlen are all superb shooters, and in the case of Virtanen and Boeser were drafted specifically for their shooting ability.  (Pettersson was drafted for that and much more, as we all know.) 

You ain't seen nothing yet. 

This year is very unlikely to be their first cup -- few young teams have won right away -- usually there is a year or two to learn to win (Edmonton and NY Islanders come to mind with their dynasties.)  But two years from now?  Even next year, if Hughes and Dahlen are here? 

The team is beginning to look a bit like the Chicago team when Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook began to hit their stride, but prior to Crawford's arrival.  Our equivalent = Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes, Hutton, with Demko a year or two away. 

37 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The qualifier is just look at the standings. Yes it's 10 wins in 17 games, and one overtime loss for 21 points. The Canucks have played more games, and 3 other teams 

Calgary, San Jose, and Dallas have 19 points and a game in hand. 

Lose a couple of games in a row yes we can plummet down the standings. That's where the parity comes in. 

But in the end. The team still has major injuries to key players. And are winning against tough teams. I think it's the fact this team is living up to Green's Mantra and buying in. 

Hard work, teamwork, go to the net, use your speed. Keep shots to the outside. 

In short. BATTLE, BATTLE BATTLE! 

That's the kind of hockey that will bring sellouts back to Rogers Arena. And make for damn entertaining hockey. Win or lose the team is keeping it close in most games. 

So what happens, happens.

Just ENJOY THE RIDE!

Very well said, this start of the season is dispelling so many pre-season "professionals" from CDCers I find it amusing:

- The gang who said we are not going to replace the Sedins 100points

-The group that said we are so far from competing that we are years and years away from any semblance of a competitive team

-The group that said we needed to "tank" a few more years so we can get quality players to build from.

-The group that said we don't need players such as Roussell, Beagle and Shaller because "character" players are less important then just pure " talented" players.

For those who watched the team in the nineties, remember "Battle" as how the team played the game on a regular basis. The team had players who were less talented but had more battle in their game.

A lot still do not realize how important the "Cap Era" has on the parity in the league as well. Teams surprise every year and bounce from contenders to non-playoffs in a blink of an eye. See LA, Vegas and Chicago as examples.

Other posters who say we are "this player" or "that player" away from a contender don't realize that sometimes its just a matter of an injury to a key player here or a bad run from a goalie there to put you in or out of the playoffs.

The teams level of battle as been, for the most part, very good. It is miles better then past years but I think as they are transitioning to a new identity I think they still have room for improvement. Leaders such as Bo have been making huge strides and are a welcome change from leadership from the past.

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Disagree, not enough depth yet and you can’t win in April with .900 goaltending but you can see the strides.   

I am am sure they believe.   I plan on rooting for them.   My guess is 85 points seems attainable.

you're probably correct, BUT.... 

as you noted this has been happening with key personnel out with injuries. Getting Sutter, Beagle and Edler back probably bumps that .900 ga up into the .910's, and with that and the team new found ability to score anything can happen. 

It's stripping you of some of the pure joy of watching fun, exciting, high scoring games if it's with a "yeah, but we won't win it all" theme.  No one knows who will win...I've said it before and you, as a knowledgeable hockey guy, can understand that:  hot goaltending (huge), injuries (massive), hot and cold streaks (happen..so, if at the right time, it can play in your favour), officiating.  Etc.  The odds of winning the cup aren't in anyone's favour...one team wins out of 31.  There are many longshots in this race. 

A few seem to get it.  We're enjoying the ride and whatever will be will be.  It's out of our hands and we're just spectators. 

After a great win against the Bruins where we've scored 8 goals, I find it hard to pick the team apart.  However they're getting there, right now they are.  It won't last forever, for sure.  We will go through losing streaks but that's when we don't abandon the team to say "see, told you..they're not good enough".  That's when we rally behind them and remind them that they have been...and can be again.

It's much more fun that way.  Look, I've (recently) sat in a rink on NY and watched our team get blown out 5-0.  I am loving these games and the experience is as important to me as the result.

In '94 people were saying the same things.  That taught me to not believe them.  No, we didn't win the cup but we were in there and could have.  No one believed we could be.

This team and the rebuild have turned a corner. There's no doubting it. I look forward to see how the Canucks fare against the likes of Nashville and Toronto, but can see them taking it to those teams the same way they've taken it to Boston and Tampa.

Benning has, in face of all the impotent criticism, laid the foundation for a juggernaut which is already laying waste to other teams. The future is wide open.

Go Canucks Go!

all i'm saying

and all i'm concerned about these days

is that it is damn hard to predict the score

for the predict the score contest

cuz this team does not behave like any other team that is missing so many players

wtf

brock gets sent home

ep40 gets an assist

and yet they hang 8 on the bruins

who the hell can forecast that nonsense?

predicting now is random and wild

the wilder the more likely to be accurate

um... no skill required

just a damn high degree of imagination

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I am a long time Canucks fan, so that means when things are going well I always assume the other shoe is going to drop and I will end up disappointed.

In this case, I am not fussed about whether we make the playoffs or not.  I would rather we do, but if we just miss a wild card spot I don’t think that is a tragedy either... it means we overplayed expectations by a long shot.  The smaller chance at a high draft pick isn’t a big issue in that context.

This view is likely getting into the water, & spreading quickly. With the blokes(in charge) we got at the draft table, & our improving development/patience...

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's stripping you of some of the pure joy of watching fun, exciting, high scoring games if it's with a "yeah, but we won't win it all" theme.  No one knows who will win...I've said it before and you, as a knowledgeable hockey guy, can understand that:  hot goaltending (huge), injuries (massive), hot and cold streaks (happen..so, if at the right time, it can play in your favour), officiating.  Etc.  The odds of winning the cup aren't in anyone's favour...one team wins out of 31.  There are many longshots in this race. 

A few seem to get it.  We're enjoying the ride and whatever will be will be.  It's out of our hands and we're just spectators. 

After a great win against the Bruins where we've scored 8 goals, I find it hard to pick the team apart.  However they're getting there, right now they are.  It won't last forever, for sure.  We will go through losing streaks but that's when we don't abandon the team to say "see, told you..they're not good enough".  That's when we rally behind them and remind them that they have been...and can be again.

It's much more fun that way.  Look, I've (recently) sat in a rink on NY and watched our team get blown out 5-0.  I am loving these games and the experience is as important to me as the result.

In '94 people were saying the same things.  That taught me to not believe them.  No, we didn't win the cup but we were in there and could have.  No one believed we could be.

Voice of reason as always, thanks for these great comments.

Deb, I'm starting to think that maybe you're married to Vintage Canuck, you both are on the ball with great insight:P

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Prob in today's world is it's often the Jim Jones sort mixin the koolaid! You say that pitcher is Long Isle Iced Tea, Deb? Okay, I'll enjoy a glass..Salut!

I am starting to wonder if having veteran players out with injury is helping the Canucks win.

The young guns are really blazing.

I know the vets would help with goals against.

But the power play is better without Edler, for example.

And Beagle, Sutter, etc., are not as fast as the kids...

12 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

That's the thing though.....why do we have to say they are or aren't?  Aren't "where"?   They're in a great spot in the here and now and, in the here and now, that's what matters.  It seems like we're always waiting for the bubble to burst but that kind of sucks the fun out of it.  

I could get hit by a dumptruck tomorrow and so all that matters is up to that point.    Next spring is too far away for me to care about and it strips me of the joy of this deal if I have to weigh it out.

BELIEVE

If it all falls apart, it was fun while it lasted.  I don't expect them to light it up every game and there will be peaks and valleys.  But hell, this was a fun game so I am just going to leave it there.

They are still a few key players away.   That is my opinion.   This is an opinion board.   You moderate this opinion board to see that all opinions can be heard.    Right?

And "hedging bets"?   What bets?   I have stated on the prediction thread what I think will happen to the team and some players this year - I haven't any "bets" on this.   I like this team and consider myself a fan through thin and thick but not a clue what "hedging bets" would be about.

Professional sports is a balance of selling success or selling hope.   The cool thing about the Canucks so far this year is they are able to package BOTH.   My point is that "success" isn't points alone and that is why it is getting harder to ignore.   Eastern media are paying far more attention and even the trolls at other sites (inclusive of the media) have dialed it back a long ways.    

It isn't going to "fall apart" but the points will likely not keep coming at this pace this year but what is also very hard to ignore, this team has an identity irrespective of who they roll out  (given the injuries to key players, 2/3 of top line current out for example) still plays with same purpose and the Canucks I have learned to follow hasn't done that much at all for a long while.

12 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

So what does this get you right here?

Doing math while we're celebrating a win?

It is ego driven...to try to be "right" instead of just enjoying the deal.

""Not enough" and can't.  Nope, sorry...right now I feel like we can and are.  You may be right in the end.  Or...wrong.   That's what we can't ignore. 

It's ego driven to follow a team and look at them statistically?    Wow, sorry for having a different way of following sport and having a different opinion.   

What can't be ignored is this team, IN SPITE of the injuries, has an identity and cannot be called a "bottom dweller" or a "lottery lock" etc. etc. as much of the media and even many in the "fanbase" have stated.   I am on the record of saying I liked this season's team make up and thought they could hit 85-90 points if injuries didn't derail things and they are showing that might be possible even with injuries.   That is "ego driven"?     Cool to know that I have misunderstood that phrase for so long.

While I would love this as an indication that we are on the up, it's only 1 month into the season. We have some great stories happening within the organization at the moment.

Momentum happens, but momentum alone isn't necessarily a long term deal. I tend to agree with deb in this and, being honest and blunt, the original post sounds more snobbish than it does helpful in my opinion. I've said it before and I'll say it again: there are the extreme opposites in terms of optimism and pessimism on these boards, and I don't see how this thread is any more objective than one of the more pessimistic threads. Sorry, I just don't.

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It's more of a parsing words I think than what we actually believe.  Do most realistic fans think they'll be rattling wins this easily in March/April?  No, but until they play the games it will always be in question.

Of course they COULD run the table and win the cup.   Cool think about sports is you have to play the games and no one knows the results (unless you are the 1919 Black Sox).   The "what cannot be ignored" is largely the fact the team now has an identity.    If some don't like that, seems odd as it is something the team has been looking for since their SCF run - at least from my perspective.

12 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I get where you're coming from, brother! I'm not saying we're there in terms of what people perceive to be "contenders". I guess I'm questioning the need to apply absolutes based on previous teams and conventional wisdom.

We are right now therefore we are! :)

Uh, ok.    I was lucky to be in NA and sharing a number of wiggly drinks with people who are typically Canuck bashers but I noticed how much their tune has changed and it inspired me to simply write something from the box.   As someone who has posted here literally thousands of times making it clear how much a fan I am of the team I felt it was more than a supportive view and largely directed at people who have found it so easy to write off the Canucks.    What surprised me today was how that opinion was "ignored" and instead people feel someone having less confidence that this team will be as points successful as others may feel as somehow abhorrent.   Wow.

Canucks are a fun team to watch and were for a lot of last season too.   Green has brought a real change to this team.   This is getting harder to ignore.  Cheers.   :)

Archived