The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Tomas Plekanec announces retirement

That was quick:

Tomas Plekanec announced his retirement from the NHL on Friday after the Montreal Canadiens placed him on unconditional waivers for the purpose of terminating his contract.

However, while Plekanec's playing days in the NHL are now in the rearview mirror, he admits he's not quite ready to hang up the skates for good.

Plekanec remarked on his time with the Habs and his now-former teammates during his announcement.

"I'm happy with what I've done here with the Canadiens," Plekanec said, per the team. "I can leave happy.

"I'm going to miss the guys. It's another family, coming here every morning. Now, it's gone. It's something I'm going to miss, for sure. I'm going to watch them and cheer for them."

The 36-year-old will conclude his NHL career with 233 goals and 608 points in 1,0001 games, with all but 17 of those contests coming as a member of the Canadiens.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1631318

2 hours ago, Quantum said:

Wait... why is this happening? What happened? Does he have a lingering injury? Or has he been scratched too much? Thought he was doing well in Montreal? This feels confusing and sudden. Anyone know why he's retiring now?

He’s been injured much of the year. With the emergence of Kotkaniemi and Domi Montreal is now somewhat set at C. He was looking at being a healthy scratch most nights. Montreal also has a roster problem with Sherbak so they needed the space.  This frees him up to finish his playing career at home along side Jagr 

39 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Solid career almost all with Montreal with a small blemish at the end with the Leafs, good for him.

That blemish (and with Toronto of all teams) is the reason why I'm glad we didn't move the Sedins for picks or whatever. Some things just aren't worth tarnishing.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived