The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Food for thought: Seattle joining the league

ruilin96

Would you like to see every team make the playoffs in a 32-team-league?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is just something that occur to me that with Seattle joining the league, we will have a perfect set of 32 teams, and 16 on each Conference. Would you like to see an extra playoff round with everyone makes the playoffs regardless of where they finish in the standings? In this case, we will still split it up by Conference, just #1 vs #16, #2 vs #15. #3 vs. #14 and etc. and the Stanley Cup playoffs will be 5 rounds instead of 4. With so many bubble teams every year, the line to making the playoffs could be determine through a winning-streak or losing-streak or whether you win a game in the SO or you lost that SO. If we just throw every team in the playoffs, the middle-seeded teams in the first round would be make some fun and exciting hockey. Now that would also mean some very lopsided hockey between bottom feeders against top tier teams.

The 16 teams who are eliminated in the 1st round will take part of the draft lottery, odds distributed base on reverse order of the standings in the regular season.

Benefits of this:

- More revenues. More games played in the playoffs will generally mean more revenues. 

- Since everyone makes the playoffs, there is a chance that we will see less teams trying to intentionally tank.

Negative of this:

- Reguar season games will be much meaningless and it will just play like teams just playing not to get injured like they do in the pre-season.

This is just something I thought of, and I am pretty sure it will won't happen. But what would be a league of everyone making the playoffs like?

Gawd, this proposal is so reflective of a social and political movement that promotes unreason and irrationality through the fog of various causes that only a social justice warrior would dream of. 

Today and through the evening I have been bombarded by the *ussification of NHL hockey.

Last weeks comments by Torterella, backed by Brian Burke and Don Cherry in the past about hockey losing its way is true!

12 minutes ago, 6string said:

Gawd, this proposal is so reflective of a social and political movement that promotes unreason and irrationality through the fog of various causes that only a social justice warrior would dream of. 

Today and through the evening I have been bombarded by the *ussification of NHL hockey.

Last weeks comments by Torterella, backed by Brian Burke and Don Cherry in the past about hockey losing its way is true!

Your attempts to drag politics into this are ham fisted. There is nothing political in what the OP said

31 minutes ago, butters said:

Your attempts to drag politics into this are ham fisted. There is nothing political in what the OP said

Removing a tradtional process of elimination by competiton hardly makes it a sport anymore. I oppose that, I would argue where does this come from?

Everybody makes the playoffs in the PC world and what next: we can't cheer for goals in the arena because it's both bias and offensive lol.

No more extra playoff positioning... it just cheapens those that made it.  

If the NHL wants to promote more viewership and stuff... they need to make the game even more emotional.  Instead of randomly generating games, have series.  Eg.  Vancouver vs Seattle... 5/7 games in a row.  The intensity and hatred will spill over like a playoff series.... making each successive game a must-see TV.  

Then they should also have more themed series... eg.  the Battle of Western Canada.... Vancouver vs Calgary.  Bring along other leagues to create some narrative, like include the Utica Comets going up against the Stockton Heat at the same time; the Vancouver Giants vs the Calgary Hitmen, Kalamazoo Wings against the Kansas City Mavericks.  Heck, throw in a BC Lions vs Calgary Stampede game along with it too.  

Think of the amount of interest for say.... a Toronto vs Montreal, pro-sports battle.  Leafs vs Habs, Marlies vs Bulldogs, TFC vs Impacts, Argos vs Alouettes, etc.  

Should they? No. 

Will they (do something similar, but not as drastic, like introduce a play-in round)? I wouldn't be surprised. Playoff revenue is the wet dream of the owners, and with expansion plus a new lockout CBA coming up, I would not be at all shocked if they try to find a way to increase that cash flow. As the OP hinted at, too, 32 is kind of a magic number for it's divisibility possibilities, and I can see Betman/count Dracula doing all kinds of math tricks in his head to tinker with the playoff format.

5 hours ago, Lancaster said:

..Instead of randomly generating games, have series.  Eg.  Vancouver vs Seattle... 5/7 games in a row...Then they should also have more themed series... eg.  the Battle of Western Canada.... Vancouver vs Calgary.  Bring along other leagues to create some narrative, like include the Utica Comets going up against the Stockton Heat at the same time; the Vancouver Giants vs the Calgary Hitmen, Kalamazoo Wings against the Kansas City Mavericks.  Heck, throw in a BC Lions vs Calgary Stampede game along with it too... 

I feel like this would be so tough to schedule, but really exciting as a fan to watch. 

I wish it were more like baseball. 

You gotta *really* rock it in the regular season to get in. I know that would never happen, too much playoff revenue, but having 6 teams per side rather than 8 would make it even more valuable. 

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a change in format, for example something like 7 "spots" and the last spot is a wildcard, one game 'series' for the next closest two teams. No automatic entry if you suck your way into the playoffs. 

But a big no to "more" teams getting in. It'd would be half the league already, and that's plenty. 

10 hours ago, 6string said:

Removing a tradtional process of elimination by competiton hardly makes it a sport anymore. I oppose that, I would argue where does this come from?

Everybody makes the playoffs in the PC world and what next: we can't cheer for goals in the arena because it's both bias and offensive lol.

Man, you are itching for a fight about this and want it to be political. I gave no opinion on the subject, I was just rolling my eyes at your attempt to make it political. Keep politics to politics. And if you are so anti-PC then stop being an offended snowflake about one guys opinion on playoffs. 

I don't mind the idea of more teams being able to make the playoffs, but not all of them. It's disappointing to see teams miss the playoffs in situations where they're above .500 in the regular season, and right now the bar is too high.

Consider that when the Canucks made their long playoff run in 1994, there were only 12 teams in the Western Conference, and the top 8 made the playoffs. The Canucks finished 7th of 12th, only 1 game above .500, yet they became a powerhouse in the playoffs, leading to one of the most memorable springs this franchise has ever seen.

32 teams, 16 make the playoffs and 16 dont! simple as that

Or if we want to get creative, have #16 and #17 have a 3 game playoff series! Winner gets to proceed only to play team #1 of their conference.

In the end I would rather 32 team league, 4 from each of the 4 divisions make the playoffs (16 total). In the first round it is seeded in your division, #1 in your division plays # 4 etc.

After the first round make it a conference wide scenario when the best team from your conference plays the worst playoff team from your conference.

Then it continues! Make it a league wide scenario (4 teams left, the best team plays the worst)....

Archived