The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton Oilers 2018-2019

Rate this topic

aqua59

When Shanahan took over the Leafs, he cleaned house.  He started in the front office.  The Leafs were top heavy with management and pretty much had too many voices to get a rebuild done properly.

I think that Edmonton is in the same boat and any President or GM who they bring in has to have the same kind of authority that Shanahan had.  Get out the broom.  Until the old boys are gone and are replaced with good hockey people, the Oilers are doomed to the bottom 1/3 of the league.  Guys like Holland won't touch it unless they have this kind of power. 

It's a damn shame that the best player in the world is wasted on such a dysfunctional organization.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

When Shanahan took over the Leafs, he cleaned house.  He started in the front office.  The Leafs were top heavy with management and pretty much had too many voices to get a rebuild done properly.

I think that Edmonton is in the same boat and any President or GM who they bring in has to have the same kind of authority that Shanahan had.  Get out the broom.  Until the old boys are gone and are replaced with good hockey people, the Oilers are doomed to the bottom 1/3 of the league.  Guys like Holland won't touch it unless they have this kind of power. 

It's a damn shame that the best player in the world is wasted on such a dysfunctional organization.

What position does that guy who used to be with hockey Canada (I forgot his name) have currently with the Oilers? 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

What position does that guy who used to be with hockey Canada (I forgot his name) have currently with the Oilers? 

Bob Nicholson?  CEO.....so higher up than a President, lower than the owner

I resisted going off on him but when he was hired, I thought he would straighten out that dogs dinner but he did not

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Bob Nicholson?  CEO.....so higher up than a President, lower than the owner

I resisted going off on him but when he was hired, I thought he would straighten out that dogs dinner but he did not

I thought the same. When they brought him on board i thought he was a stabilizing source but the results are marginally optic if any in a positive direction. Again as stated many times the owner and his old boys club need to be separated with surgical precision leaving none of the old boys in tact. They all must go. Both Gretzkys , Lowe, Craig MacGarbage and any others that are hiding in the soup. 

They are already behind the 8 ball. Word has it they were waiting for Vegas to finish their season to grab one of their front office dudes, Kelly McCrimmon I believe, not totally sure if that's the guy. Why he'd want to leave Vegas so soon is beyond me too. Vegas has put a nice team together under a expansion draft where if Kelly came to Edmonton no such draft is there to draw from. 

Apparently Gillis isn't in the mix because of an incident from years gone by, along with others just flat turning the job down. 

It's hard to not to think the guy getting the job isn't their first choice and the guy getting the job is a little desperate to get his gig in the NHL. 

Speaking of GM’s. Here’s what I would do if I was in charge of the oilers. 

Oilers have a lot of needs this summer.  I can really see them going hard in the summer to solve a lot of their issues and bounce back into the post season.  Oilers biggest need is a PMD to help with the transition and bring some speed to the back end.  They need some skill upfront to play alongside McDavid, as well as some skill on the second lines, they need a pure shut down center they can count on, as well as solid two way wingers.  They can’t keep relying on putting McDavid and Leon out there on all situations…. and they need to free up some dead cap space….Oh and they could use a decent back up goalie….Basically their rosters needs a completely overhaul.  The one thing that doesn’t get talked about too often is there young wingers they have coming up.  Benson and Marody were both ppg players in there first full AHL seasons.  Yamamoto has struggled in the NHL but has looked great in the AHL.

Since this is just Armchair Gm’ing, Here’s what I would do if I were the oilers this summer. 

Trade #1

RNH + Russel to Av’s for Barrie.  

Av’s really need to find some secondary scoring.  They relied far too much on there top 3 this year and Bednar had found himself having to split them up at times.  RHN who’s consistently been a 60-70 point guy, would give them that second line center to help spread that offence out.  This would allow Soderberg, to really focus on the 3rd line shutdown, he’s already been doing that (playing 39% ozone starts). Barrie has been rumoured on the move for a while now and will be a UFA at the end of next season so av’s will be looking to get some value for him.  He is exactly what the Oilers need on there backend and will help the transition to get the puck up to McDavid so much faster.  Av’s also have Makar coming up next season to take on the skillset moved out.  Russel might be an overpayment but he is an improvement on Nemeth and Barberio and even with Rantanen, Kerfoot and Compher getting raises, AV’s will still be struggling to hit the cap floor. Add that the avs also have 2 first round picks this year one of them being a 4th overall (Byram) and they are well on there way to being a perennial contender. 

Trade #2

8th overall + Puljujarvi + Lucic + Manning + 4th round pick to Canucks for Sutter + 10th overall + Granlund + WSH 6th round pick

Canucks have a ton of smaller skilled youth coming into the line up.  They could really use a player to help protect and patrol the new core.  While Lucic is overpriced at 6 million per year, we do free up 4.375 in Sutter cap, so it really only added 1.7 ish in cap.  Canucks could also use some more skill on the right side and although Puljujarvi isn’t expected to reach his elite first line potential he was touted as,  he’s also no longer waiver free and will be forced to hold down a roster spot, with Benson and Marody coming up he might  he could still become a very good 2nd line winger.  Oilers rid themselves of Lucic contract and at the same time fill a much need hole in their line-up.  Manning is a pure cap dump that canucks would waive/use for injury depth.  Granlund becomes a another reliable two way winger who is capable of scoring. Late round picks swap also help balance some more value. 

Trade #3

Sekera + 3rd for Anderson

Cap swap by each teams, with Nilsson looking like he’s taking over the net and Anderson requesting a trade, Ott can then move on. While Sekera isn’t worth his full cap value he’s still a reliable veteran D when healthy.  The big issue between this move is both players contain NMC’s and whether they would move to the other teams is questionable.  The other option for oilers is to just keep Sekera and sign a vet back up in UFA  (Smith, Ward, Elliot, Niemi)

Signings

In doing these trades Oilers have them opened themselves up to another 8 million in cap space leaving them with approx 20 million in cap space, which allows them to make two signings:

Skinner 5x8.25, 

He provides the offensive skill set needed by the oilers, he’s only 26 and has 7 his 9 season with 20+ goal years (and one of those years was a lock out shortened years where he was on pace for 25 goals)  Oilers were interested in him last year but just couldn’t figure out the cap to land him.

Ferlund 5x5.0, 

He also brings some added scoring, as well as some physical edge lost by moving out Lucic, while I think 5 for 5 years is a high risk for a player who’s constantly injured but it’s likely the cost needed to land him.

I think they should also consider bring back Chiasson who potted 22 goals and 38 points last year but I wouldn’t be surprised it he’s looking for a hefty raise and I personally wouldn’t go very high on him after having a career year playing alongside McDavid

Skinner McDavid Marody

Benson Draisaitl Ferlund

Granlund Sutter Kassian

Khaira Brodziak Gagner 

Cave

Klefbom Barrie

Nurse Larsson

Jones Persson

Benning

Koskanin

Anderson

82 million cap

So in summary they add scoring and skill to play with McDavid, they spread out there scoring with two lines that are real threats, they bring in a true PMD to help there transition and they also build a legit 3rd line they can count on defensively, are they winning the cup with that roster? Likely not, but they should put up a good run for the post season

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/29/2019 at 9:35 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Oilers have a lot of needs this summer.  I can really see them going hard in the summer to solve a lot of their issues and bounce back into the post season.  Oilers biggest need is a PMD to help with the transition and bring some speed to the back end.  They need some skill upfront to play alongside McDavid, as well as some skill on the second lines, they need a pure shut down center they can count on, as well as solid two way wingers.  They can’t keep relying on putting McDavid and Leon out there on all situations…. and they need to free up some dead cap space….Oh and they could use a decent back up goalie….Basically their rosters needs a completely overhaul.  The one thing that doesn’t get talked about too often is there young wingers they have coming up.  Benson and Marody were both ppg players in there first full AHL seasons.  Yamamoto has struggled in the NHL but has looked great in the AHL.

Since this is just Armchair Gm’ing, Here’s what I would do if I were the oilers this summer. 

Trade #1

Av’s really need to find some secondary scoring.  They relied far too much on there top 3 this year and Bednar had found himself having to split them up at times.  RHN who’s consistently been a 60-70 point guy, would give them that second line center to help spread that offence out.  This would allow Soderberg, to really focus on the 3rd line shutdown, he’s already been doing that (playing 39% ozone starts). Barrie has been rumoured on the move for a while now and will be a UFA at the end of next season so av’s will be looking to get some value for him.  He is exactly what the Oilers need on there backend and will help the transition to get the puck up to McDavid so much faster.  Av’s also have Makar coming up next season to take on the skillset moved out.  Russel might be an overpayment but he is an improvement on Nemeth and Barberio and even with Rantanen, Kerfoot and Compher getting raises, AV’s will still be struggling to hit the cap floor. Add that the avs also have 2 first round picks this year one of them being a 4th overall (Byram) and they are well on there way to being a perennial contender. 

Trade #2

8th overall + Puljujarvi + Lucic + Manning + 4th round pick to Canucks for Sutter + 10th overall + Granlund + WSH 6th round pick

Canucks have a ton of smaller skilled youth coming into the line up.  They could really use a player to help protect and patrol the new core.  While Lucic is overpriced at 6 million per year, we do free up 4.375 in Sutter cap, so it really only added 1.7 ish in cap.  Canucks could also use some more skill on the right side and although Puljujarvi isn’t expected to reach his elite first line potential he was touted as,  he’s also no longer waiver free and will be forced to hold down a roster spot, with Benson and Marody coming up he might  he could still become a very good 2nd line winger.  Oilers rid themselves of Lucic contract and at the same time fill a much need hole in their line-up.  Manning is a pure cap dump that canucks would waive/use for injury depth.  Granlund becomes a another reliable two way winger who is capable of scoring. Late round picks swap also help balance some more value. 

Trade #3

Cap swap by each teams, with Nilsson looking like he’s taking over the net and Anderson requesting a trade, Ott can then move on. While Sekera isn’t worth his full cap value he’s still a reliable veteran D when healthy.  The big issue between this move is both players contain NMC’s and whether they would move to the other teams is questionable.  The other option for oilers is to just keep Sekera and sign a vet back up in UFA  (Smith, Ward, Elliot, Niemi)

Signings

In doing these trades Oilers have them opened themselves up to another 8 million in cap space leaving them with approx 20 million in cap space, which allows them to make two signings:

Skinner 5x8.25, 

He provides the offensive skill set needed by the oilers, he’s only 26 and has 7 his 9 season with 20+ goal years (and one of those years was a lock out shortened years where he was on pace for 25 goals)  Oilers were interested in him last year but just couldn’t figure out the cap to land him.

Ferlund 5x5.0, 

He also brings some added scoring, as well as some physical edge lost by moving out Lucic, while I think 5 for 5 years is a high risk for a player who’s constantly injured but it’s likely the cost needed to land him.

I think they should also consider bring back Chiasson who potted 22 goals and 38 points last year but I wouldn’t be surprised it he’s looking for a hefty raise and I personally wouldn’t go very high on him after having a career year playing alongside McDavid

Skinner McDavid Marody

Benson Draisaitl Ferlund

Granlund Sutter Kassian

Khaira Brodziak Gagner 

Cave

Klefbom Barrie

Nurse Larsson

Jones Persson

Benning

Koskanin

Anderson

82 million cap

So in summary they add scoring and skill to play with McDavid, they spread out there scoring with two lines that are real threats, they bring in a true PMD to help there transition and they also build a legit 3rd line they can count on defensively, are they winning the cup with that roster? Likely not, but they should put up a good run for the post season

Nice work but it's totally hypothetical mirroring many other clubs needs league wide.  

• Cheers 1

On 4/29/2019 at 9:35 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Trade #1

Trade #2

Trade #3

Signings

Skinner 5x8.25, 

Ferlund 5x5.0, 

Skinner McDavid Marody

Benson Draisaitl Ferlund

Granlund Sutter Kassian

Khaira Brodziak Gagner 

Cave

Klefbom Barrie

Nurse Larsson

Jones Persson

Benning

Koskanin

Anderson

82 million cap

You have Draisatl at center.  Is he a center?  

I think the most important change the Oilers need to make is convincing McDavid and Draisatl they both need to play 200 feet.  

You have Draisatl at center.  Is he a center?  

Yep he is a center. In fact to took over 400 more faceoffs than any other player on the team last year and had a 51.1%. 

I think the most important change the Oilers need to make is convincing McDavid and Draisatl they both need to play 200 feet.  

I think they can get away with it as long as the have someone they can count on to shut down the opposing teams top lines. Last year they were expecting those two to do it all. They could really use that 3rd line center like sutter. 

• Upvote 1

So the Oilers have hired Holland.

Already some wise guy from the MSN press has put out an article on what Holland needs to do.

The first thing is to trade Lucic to the Canucks but he says for draft picks. Holland would be one heck of a good GM if he can pull that off. LOL

• Like 1

I stand corrected. Well maybe sit corrected.

Last week holland said no to Edmonton this week looks like he's gonna take it. Oiler fans are going to be unbearable again but still losers. They have a long road to travel.

10 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

Oiler fans are going to be unbearable again but still losers.

That’s what I’m assuming as well.

Holland is a terrific GM. And should he (expected) take some of his staff with him, the Oilers scouting and development will improve. However, look at Holland’s history. He did not improve the Wings by trading a few pieces. He completely revamped their organization and built it from the ground up. He didn’t trade for a winner, it took years of drafting and development to create one.

The Oilers are a broken organization. Holland can’t fix them with one, two, three, four trades. It’ll take buyouts, bad trades (ie: retainment on bad contracts for close to zero assets in return), getting rid of staff, hiring new staff, and years of drafting and development to turn that team into anything resembling a respectable franchise. At which point, it is highly possible that McDavid could be entering the final year or two of his current contract. 

The Oilers are terrible. The damage is so deep that it’s not a quick fix. It’s going to be long and painful. Painful to the point where they will have “wasted” McDavid’s initial 8-10 years in the league.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2