The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton Oilers 2018-2019

Rate this topic

aqua59

So now that Ken Holland takes over does he get rid of the ex Oilers surrounding the club? 

I think the only person standing in the way is Mr Katz. 

Now too bad about the disease, which is just horrible. I wonder if Mr Katz has been scared things would fall apart if the Old Boys Club left? One can only speculate but i think it's worth pondering. Have they got this guy convinced they know what they are doing?

They also know Ken Holland is a hockey guy but how well do they know him personally I wonder? I wonder if Holland sees what we see as hockey fans? Does he think the ex-Oilers have to go?.

I think this should be one of the first  things on the list. 

What do you think?

• Upvote 1

I used to revel in every disaster that the Edmonton Oiler's franchise has endured, but now I'm starting to just feel sorry for them.

I really can't see any way to improve the franchise unless/until the owner fires the entire OBC, aka The Red Wine Summit.

Craig MacTavish and Duane Sutter should be just the beginning of the purge.

Personally, I'd get rid of all of the pro scouts, plus Kevin Lowe, Scott Howson, Paul Coffey, and both of the Gretzkys.

On a positive note; Bob Green has done a decent job with amateur scouting during the last 4 of his 6 seasons with the team.

On 5/6/2019 at 9:47 AM, Monty said:

Holland is a terrific GM. 

Jim Costa of ESPN Michigan disagrees (strongly) https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/this-man-destroyed-my-hockey-team-for-a-decade-ken-holland-ripped-by-espn-sportscasters/wcm/1587c8ca-70b2-4992-8227-5ae295d666a4?fbclid=IwAR0u18zxrLNtgazbJjyb5qHctvgOw2O8fky8CwHF_93IZcdlq879z9X_FU0

“This was coming. Ken Holland was forced up and eventually forced out and it’s probably a decade too late. But this is a great day for the Detroit Red Wings… Ken Holland drove this franchise into the ground. After 2009 when they appeared in the Stanley Cup Final and lost, we have stared at a decade of incompetence. Three playoff series wins in ten years when they’ve been trying to win. Resisting a rebuild and still putting out that subpar performance, signing mediocre players to five, six and seven year deals, giving them no-trade clauses on top of it. Bought at every single deadline up until about 18 months ago, when he had no choice”...“You know who Ken Holland is?” Costa continued. “Ken Holland is a trust fund kid. Ken Holland inherited this big fortune. Ken Holland stepped in as a general manager in 1997, the Red Wings already a Stanley Cup champion. Scotty Bowman built that thing up. Jim Devellano built that thing up. European scouting ahead of its time built that thing up. He was handed the GM chair, just like a rich person hands down their fortune to their son or their daughter, who didn’t work for it, didn’t earn it but is now going to benefit from it. And Ken Holland would go on to win a Stanley Cup in ’98, when money was no object. (Owner) Chris Illitch opened up the pocketbook and they won it in ’02. Salary cap comes in the mid-2000s, they ride that to a Stanley Cup, but when it was time for Ken Holland to build on his own merits, you saw what happened to him. Trust fund kid. Everything was handed to him. When he had to work for it, the franchise crumbled.”...he inherited a team with Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom. They were able to out and sign Brett Hull, Luc Robitaille. Dominik Hasek demanded a trade to Detroit. Everything fell in Ken Holland’s lap. I mean, it would be hard to screw that up, right? But then when those guys retired and the salary cap was put in, they said, ‘Ken Holland, part of the being the GM is signing free agents, trading for players.’ What happened? I think we saw who Ken Holland really is as a general manager. When Jimmy Devellano is not there. When Jim Nill is not there. When Hakan Andersson the (Swedish) scout is gone, what happens? What happens to Ken Holland. You realize he’s not doing great.”

12 hours ago, nucklehead said:

Jim Costa is an idiot, if he thinks winning the Central Division ten times, the regular-season Conference title five times, the Presidents' Trophy four times, the Stanley Cup three times, and winning more regular-season games and postseason games than any other NHL team during his span as "destroyed" hockey then he needs to take a look around the league.  The guy comes off as a spoiled 5 year old.  

20 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Jim Costa is an idiot, if he thinks winning the Central Division ten times, the regular-season Conference title five times, the Presidents' Trophy four times, the Stanley Cup three times, and winning more regular-season games and postseason games than any other NHL team during his span as "destroyed" hockey then he needs to take a look around the league.  The guy comes off as a spoiled 5 year old.  

That can be said for any organization. Not everything stated was wrong, just too personal for me not to take it with a grain of salt.Now I fully agree that stating that Holland "destroyed" Detroit hockey is hilarious. Every GM inherits the good and the bad of the previous regime. However, over the latter part of his tenure in Detroit his record has been a joke. Detroit isn't taken seriously compared to the past. Ken Holland has been a dud of late. That doesn't mean he isn't any good. 

He's far better than anything Edmonton has had in quite some time. I'd be hard pressed to ask how much worse could things get in Edmonton. The recent management moves indicate there's a new sheriff in town.

Does he have the balls to get rid of everything Gretzky and Lowe? 

I loathe Edmonton yet I might loathe them less once the old guard and their empty wine bottles are gone.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aqua59 said:

That can be said for any organization. Not everything stated was wrong, just too personal for me not to take it with a grain of salt.Now I fully agree that stating that Holland "destroyed" Detroit hockey is hilarious. Every GM inherits the good and the bad of the previous regime. However, over the latter part of his tenure in Detroit his record has been a joke.

He was gm of the teams for over 22 years. In his last 10 years the team made the post season 7 times with four 100 point seasons.

Detroit also just entered the rebuild mode in 2017 in which he’s done a really good job supporting by acquiring assets. 

In 2017 the wings made 11 selections (6 picks in the top 90)

in 2018 the wings made 10 selections (7 in the top 90). 

This year he’s left the wings with another 10 selections (5 in the top 90)

thats more top 90 picks in his last 3 years than JB has made total since coming here. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He was gm of the teams for over 22 years. In his last 10 years the team made the post season 7 times with four 100 point seasons.

Detroit also just entered the rebuild mode in 2017 in which he’s done a really good job supporting by acquiring assets. 

In 2017 the wings made 11 selections (6 picks in the top 90)

in 2018 the wings made 10 selections (7 in the top 90). 

This year he’s left the wings with another 10 selections (5 in the top 90)

thats more top 90 picks in his last 3 years than JB has made total since coming here. 

People crapping over Holland have no idea what they're talking about. The reason the team was backed into a corner was the playoff streak. That was important to the team and ownership, so every move revolved around keeping that going. But the moment it fell off the rails (2016-17), Holland has been doing some fantastic work at accelerating a rebuild to make up for lost time.

There is the amassing of picks you mentioned (wish Benning could do that). And it had nothing to do with getting star players to waive - he didn't trade Zetterberg, Kronwall, or Datsyuk (he traded the latter's contract, after he was left holding the bag, but never the player).

And look at his trades. He sure got the better of McPhee in that Tatar trade. And he schooled Chayka in the Datsyuk dump. I still can't figure out how he convinced Bowman to give up a 3rd for Jurco. A 2nd and a 3rd for renting out Nyquist and Brendan Smith were good returns as well, not to mention Bowey and a 2nd for Jensen and a 5th.

On top of all of this, Holland definitely won big in the NCAA FA market, landing both Hirose and Kuffner.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/10/2019 at 1:15 PM, D-Money said:

People crapping over Holland have no idea what they're talking about. The reason the team was backed into a corner was the playoff streak. That was important to the team and ownership, so every move revolved around keeping that going. But the moment it fell off the rails (2016-17), Holland has been doing some fantastic work at accelerating a rebuild to make up for lost time.

There is the amassing of picks you mentioned (wish Benning could do that). And it had nothing to do with getting star players to waive - he didn't trade Zetterberg, Kronwall, or Datsyuk (he traded the latter's contract, after he was left holding the bag, but never the player).

And look at his trades. He sure got the better of McPhee in that Tatar trade. And he schooled Chayka in the Datsyuk dump. I still can't figure out how he convinced Bowman to give up a 3rd for Jurco. A 2nd and a 3rd for renting out Nyquist and Brendan Smith were good returns as well, not to mention Bowey and a 2nd for Jensen and a 5th.

On top of all of this, Holland definitely won big in the NCAA FA market, landing both Hirose and Kuffner.

Well I'm laughing at holland now there's rumors of swapping Lucic and Jesse Puljujärvi for Eriksson. We get two $hit guys for our one $hit guy. Nice try Ken . 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Jesse Puljujärvi? This guy and his agent seem to want a change but can't get traction on a move out of Edmonton. I'm looking at the moves made by Edmonton

over the last month and I think the most significant aoves come at the front office. 

Past that this group  still seems the $hits. Which makes me happy. 

I look forward to Vancouver pounding Edmonton every time they play.