The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How much a canucks game impacts your day ?

deus.ex.makina

Hi all, 

Wondering how much a canucks loss (or a win) affects your day ? 

I read here and there that some guys seems to be devastated from a negative outcome of a game, and from some others a win would allow them to hit the day with a light foot... pretty sure some others don't bother that much. 

How much do you put yourselves in a game ?  And how much that shapes the rest of the day - or the next day for you ? ( as a french guy living in France, i watch the game early in morning before going to my office...)

1 minute ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Hi all, 

Wondering how much a canucks loss (or a win) affects your day ? 

I read here and there that some guys seems to be devastated from a negative outcome of a game, and from some others a win would allow them to hit the day with a light foot... pretty sure some others don't bother that much. 

How much do you put yourselves in a game ?  And how much that shapes the rest of the day - or the next day for you ? ( as a french guy living in France, i watch the game early in morning before going to my office...)

It really depends on the game, the  opponent and whether the game is playoffs or regular season.

If we are playing Toronto, Edmonton or Calgary I am more invested than if we are playing Dallas. I hate the oilers the flames and the leafs.even more so than Boston the Rangers etc.

Most games with this team I am aware that we are a building team with lower expectations. I like seeing the success we are having except the realism may set in soon.

I am hoping we continue to build on what they have started here.

I dont really let the games affect how i spend my day or whether i am happy or not. I just enjoy watching our team and am glad we have one in our city that hasnt been taken away. Like Winnipeg or Quebec city for example. Sports are not what defines me. Family and friends affect me way more.,

depends on the game and the way the team plays...for example vs Buffalo, they should have won the game and had two points; however, some players took the foot of the gas (including Markstrom, who had a good game) to let Buffalo back in the game with less than 5 minutes left in the game.

watching this and how the team sat back a bit to blow a 2 goal lead, it is frustrating to watch...as a fan of any team, there are emotional swings with how the team plays...however, it is a quick recovery to get back to real life and not let the bad mood affect the soul after a bad game...after a good game, it's doctor feelgood, then back to real life.

The only difference for me is when the team is good I look forward to watching the games more. Regardless I always watch every game. Winning is definitely more fun to watch but it has no real effect on my day win or lose. I suppose it's the reason I don't obsess about winning the cup. I'm a realist and know no matter how good the team is the odds are still against you. It doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see them win the cup, it's just that I know it won't have any real effect on my life at all. Ultimately it's a long season and I just want to be entertained throughout the season and winning is more entertaining than losing. It has no real effect on my overall happiness in life though.

i find, i ride games like i was a player. wins make me happy and i feel what the players feel in the losses. the outcome, doesn't change who i am or how i feel about people and things. during the years while i looked after my sick and dying wife, i didn't get to watch many games. their importance were put in their proper perspective. watching games now is entertainment. 

Less than it used to. That said, playoff games can still have a very significant impact.

During the 2011 Cup run (especially during the finals), I realized how unhealthy my obsession with the Canucks could be if I didn't keep my emotions in check. I forced myself to constantly keep perspective in mind so that my entire day wasn't dictated by whether or not the Canucks won. Even so, I think my parents would have easily been able to tell who won the game by how I was acting afterwards.

I'm not sure how I'd act now during a Cup run, as I'm quite a bit older and would like to think I've been able to make sure hockey doesn't dictate my entire world.

2011 almost put me in depression. I was to into the team and games. A loss drained energy out of me while a win gave me a boost. I realized there are much bigger issues in life than an outcome in a game. Since then I've been enjoying the sport of hockey more than wins and loses. If you are a person that feels down after a loss I encourage you to look beyond that and not take it so personally because it can become a bigger issue. Fan depression is a thing and shouldn't be taken lightly. 

Archived