The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Rangers | Nov. 12, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

25 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

And I'm seeing the opposite. There was a cycle in the slot in the second period where Petey gave it to Goldie who passed it to Jake, Petey flashed to the middle and was open for a pass but Jake dropped it back to the point, end of cycle and opportunity. Jake is a boat anchor on that line. Petey and Goldie (who I see is unfortunately becoming a CDC whipping boy) have really high hockey IQ and are getting better and better at finding each other in quiet spots, but Jake doesn't think or see the game like them. As long as he's a dump and chase or transition guy he's good, but he's not YET ready to play with these two. I think he'd be good with Bo because Bo is a transition player who does his damage on the rush but doesn't cycle that well. It's the kind of game Jake excels at. Goldie continues to have his lapses, but I thought he was the teams second best offensive player by far.

No. Goldie is a disaster recently. He gives the puck away so many times per game in dangerous areas that he may as well as play for the opposition team. I am done with goldy. Nice try in picking one shift where you feel Virt did not do well.  I see 10 of those shifts a game for goldy. He needs to sit.

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

really?

based on this game? or the last 10 ? or what?

you know the canucks have played the most road games

and have a winning record

they have lost the most man games to injury

and the highest percentage of cap to injury

and they have a winning record

i'm gonna wait a bit before saying they are not real

and they will not have a winning season

Ugh.

25 our of 31 teams have a winning record in this nhl with the three point game. Every team looks good this way.

we have lost to every non playoff team from last year except floridA.

our future looks great but our goaltending defense and secondary scoring is awfulmkr will

be by the time Xmas hetdnhere and thrrre is no way no matter how bad our vision is that we our making the playoffs best not get your hopes up we’ve won ten out of 19 and don’t have particularly great stars team wise what team could we honestly hang with in the playoffs I mean think about it? The presidents trophy teams couldn’t even win in the playoffs we i always have a good October and now November is here and we’re crashing down to earth with losses to buffalo Detroit and fhe Rangers.

yoy can’t look at our roster as it is now and actually expect we’re making it are -at this rate three teams will make it in pacific sharks for sure even if Karlsson sucks maybe ducks or coyotes and mYbe oilers or flames or maybe both of either. I think Vegas and la are toast like us it’s been fun while it lasted we have promise 

18 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

And I'm seeing the opposite. There was a cycle in the slot in the second period where Petey gave it to Goldie who passed it to Jake, Petey flashed to the middle and was open for a pass but Jake dropped it back to the point, end of cycle and opportunity. Jake is a boat anchor on that line. Petey and Goldie (who I see is unfortunately becoming a CDC whipping boy) have really high hockey IQ and are getting better and better at finding each other in quiet spots, but Jake doesn't think or see the game like them. As long as he's a dump and chase or transition guy he's good, but he's not YET ready to play with these two. I think he'd be good with Bo because Bo is a transition player who does his damage on the rush but doesn't cycle that well. It's the kind of game Jake excels at. Goldie continues to have his lapses, but I thought he was the teams second best offensive player by far.

Totally agree.

This current love affair with all things shotgun has to cool off a bit. He's not a great fit for that line. I recall the exact play you referenced and I'm not going to use it as a generalization for all things Jake, but he is a north/south player being asked to play a style that, unfortunately may not be in his toolbox.

Put LE back with that line. It has been the best combo yet outside of a couple of good games with Brock on the wing. One thing LE provides is good decision making and puck handling skills and a history of putting points on the board at various points in his career. He strengthens the 200ft. component of that line and quite frankly provides a bit of a safety net for the inevitable inconsistencies that Goldie puts on display most nights.

I understand there exists a new, maybe younger age of fan that wants to make Virtanen our next biggest deal but we need to temper our expectations of this guy a bit. He's a good forechecker, he's physical, fast and hard on pucks but the isn't an above average playmaker and he isn't a sniper. He needs to keep his game simple and we should all manage our expectations a bit better.

Despite scoring a goal, Goldy has been making poor decisions. Lazy cross ice passes that get picked off, not backing up his d-man on the pinch. I think the best way to describe his play is lackadaisical. 

Pouliot i haven't hated as much but i do think we should bring back Biega and have Pouliot sit again. 

It seems lots of the secondary players have decided to gear down and not play as hard (maybe they think they are safe with all these injuries?) but i liked the team a lot better when we were constantly shuffling the lineup. 

I. E. Hutton and Pouliot alternating 

Leipsic, Motte, Archibald Schaller are all playing like they are safe (Where's the hits?) we need Gaunce in the mix while shuffling a player out per game to keep everyone sharp. 

More thoughts:

Team was unlucky...  number of goalposts hit tells you that.  Over the past two games there have been at least 7 inside deflected goalposts by Canucks.

Pettersson could have had two easily... he had a one timer from inside the left circle and shot it right into Lundstrom's chest... he rarely mis-fires from that position.

The power play is suffering from the loss of Boeser and the left side shooting option he gives... the other team is keying on Pettersson since there is no threat from the left.

We are missing Baertschi and his good forecheck... he is one of the team's better puck retrievers and regularly combines with his center on scoring plays from behind the net after he steals a dump and chase puck.

And finally, the loss of Sutter has finally caught up with Horvat.  He looked exhausted tonight, has had too many demands put on him.... he has had to do all the heavy defensive lifting as well as carry his own line offensively.  It is not possible for a player to do that night in and night out for 10+ games and not get burnt out.

As much as Edler is usually the whipping boy for the complainers... he does provide a key level of experience in the Power Play.... he was starting to develop chemistry with EP40 and that is now gone.

Overall I am not unhappy.  I think the team is playing hard and competing...  they will not go far in the playoffs if they make them anyway.  The best possible result this year would be for them to almost make the playoffs, but not quite.

Dear CDC

I love you all, everyone brings a unique perspective, and all love the Canucks in your own way

We know a lot of things about the Canucks

We have youth here, and youth coming

We have gained talent, and have to wait for it to mature

We have depth, and we need more depth

We have a lot of things, that are going to bring us joy

But we are still rebuilding, we still need more

and whether we place 6th, 16th or 26th

we are in the position to add to our depth come draft day

But we are in transition, and are trying out different players

as we deal with injuries, in part it is a test

We will see good results and bad results, and that is the way it will be for a while

We drafted 7th last year, and a jump of 10 may be all we get this year, or it could be less

It is a year of transition, and guys like Goldy will show promise and mistakes

Do not be to impatient, let it happen, look for the positive......

Goldy scored a goal and hit a post...that is a good day

Pouliot is being tested and showing his ability, what ever it is, it is information for JB

He will assess that information....they are pros, they know

I will not mention tank, or playoffs more than at this moment, in this thread

Because this is a journey, and we are finding out, what we have and what we are made of

and what we need

Things changed this year and things will change again next year

Consider the victories...Hutton, Pettersson, Horvat, Markstrom, and Virtanen

Some others will be gone next year, and again it will be a journey

I thought we played well enough to win, and sometime you don't when you should.....

and sometimes you do, when you shouldn't

I am ok with that, we should all be good with that.

33 minutes ago, VancouverIteinSanDiego said:

Our PP works when boeser is back then the point just picks one of the two right now they all load on EP side as no one is on other side for shot, gaudette can shoot from uni clips but is he that side?

I generally agree and I think Pettersson is not used to the added pressure yet, but like in his entire career so far, he needs a adjustment window and then takes off. He will likely be able to handle the pressure which will allow him to either break free or find the open man more easily.

With that said, it's not just Boeser returning, we are without Baertschi and Edler who were part of the top unit PP. Boeser would push Goldobin back to the 2nd unit where he would be the skilled guy there. Edler while not being the best PP guy is still the best we have for his poise and ability to work off talented players. Right now Virtanen is on the 1st unit it seems and it's good that he's being rewarded, I just don't see him being suited for a set up PP like Baertschi works well in. Virtanen might be better on a 2nd unit just trying to rush in and create chances in the 2nd half of a PP, but he's too much of a north-south player right now to be effective on a 1st unit set up IMO. So while Boeser is a huge added boost, we are missing a lot of elements I believe.

46 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

What we need is a new PP strategy. It hasn't been working for PP1 unit since first few games of the season and we're in drought.   PP2 did get a couple from two games ago in Boston.   Newell Brown is not adjusting to his PP.   I thought he might be a good PP coach but it's that bad even with EP.   No adjustment to the power play set-up or even a right type of personnel on that unit.

EVERYONE SAY IT WITH ME: 

We’re missing 3/5 of our PP1. 

9 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Despite scoring a goal, Goldy has been making poor decisions. Lazy cross ice passes that get picked off, not backing up his d-man on the pinch. I think the best way to describe his play is lackadaisical. 

Pouliot i haven't hated as much but i do think we should bring back Biega and have Pouliot sit again. 

It seems lots of the secondary players have decided to gear down and not play as hard (maybe they think they are safe with all these injuries?) but i liked the team a lot better when we were constantly shuffling the lineup. 

Leipsic, Motte, Archibald Schaller are all playing like they are safe (Where's the hits?) we need Gaunce in the mix while shuffling a player out per game to keep everyone sharp. 

Don't disagree with you...…..but that is why they are secondary players

19 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Ugh.

25 our of 31 teams have a winning record in this nhl with the three point game. Every team looks good this way.

we have lost to every non playoff team from last year except floridA.

our future looks great but our goaltending defense and secondary scoring is awfulmkr will

be by the time Xmas hetdnhere and thrrre is no way no matter how bad our vision is that we our making the playoffs best not get your hopes up we’ve won ten out of 19 and don’t have particularly great stars team wise what team could we honestly hang with in the playoffs I mean think about it? The presidents trophy teams couldn’t even win in the playoffs we i always have a good October and now November is here and we’re crashing down to earth with losses to buffalo Detroit and fhe Rangers.

yoy can’t look at our roster as it is now and actually expect we’re making it are -at this rate three teams will make it in pacific sharks for sure even if Karlsson sucks maybe ducks or coyotes and mYbe oilers or flames or maybe both of either. I think Vegas and la are toast like us it’s been fun while it lasted we have promise 

well hard to know how to respond to this

are you watching this team .. the current vancouver canucks

not past team versions that clearly created long standing unhappiness for you

you understand this current team has a winning record?

you say it has not beaten a non playoff team

which means their wins are all against play off quality teams... and this is a bad thing in your eyes??

we have lost our 2 quality defensive center men... sutter and beagle

our best dman from last season who was playing very well this season ... edler

out best player from last year has been banged up and finally rested... boeser

our best left winger from last season had his head knocked and is out too .. baer

this current team still has a winning record

last years team faltered badly when key injuries occurred

this team appears to be different

can you see that ?

i think on these boards

people end up being more glass half empty people or glass half full type people

and that colours how they view the team and how they post

both view points contain elements of bias

but i know which i prefer

one more thing

isn't this team fun to watch this season

remember the boston game . .damn unexpected outcome

even more.. remember the avs game... what a gunslinger contest, back and forth

ep40 showed all his skills and talent

this is an entertaining team compared to teams of the past few years

things are looking up

there will be some set backs as well

the team is winning

you doubt that can continue

i like ep40 and the change in attitude he has brought to this team

i think the winning can continue

it might not.. but i'm not writing this current team off yet

they have exceeded my expectations and i won't sell them short

I don't think defensive play was the problem in the Rangers game... 2 goals allowed is right in the average.

Problem is scoring and lack of finish... because we have too many top tier guys missing.

People are forgetting Baertschi for example can do everything that Goldobin can, plus when he shoots, dekes or passes he doesn't mishandle the puck or miss his shot.

And Boeser when he is on, has a shot which is in the top 5 percentile in the league.

Sutter is no slouch when it comes to shooting too.... he regularly beats goaltenders from difficult angles and is an excellent finisher in tight.

This team just can't be expected to perform at their best without these key guys... and having Edler chip in his assists and occasional goals.

We just need to be patient.

Unfortunately tomorrow's game versus the Islanders may be painful to watch... Canuck's looked like a tired team tonight and chances are they will not be a bundle of energy against the Isles.

What I am really hoping is Horvat doesn't over extend himself with all the demands being put on him and get injured again... that would be a disaster.  Coach Green should not overplay him... has to be realistic and plan for the future...  Horvat can't take every defensive zone draw.

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

Goldobin can be so frustrating. He has loads of offensive ability, but makes such bonehead plays like ill-timed, lazy penalties and weak back check. If he doesn't translate his talent into more points while getting to play with Pettersson, he'll be in the press box as soon as some regulars return from injury.

As a Goldy supporter I will admit this is a reasonable post. A fair assessment.  Maybe a bit over the top on the descriptives but the theme is acceptable.

its a good thing that the coaching staff and mgmt have shown that they are patient  with players who have unique skill sets

i believe we are currently the next step taken by Jake virtanen, a player many to most here doubted.  He put in his time, did the work with green and we are seeing the benefit. 

Suffice to say it comes down to a decision if Cdc and more importantly, the Canucks will extend the same patience with Goldy.  

I believe  they should.

15 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I have to agree about Goldobin. He's been making low percentage plays which simply takes away the pressure and puts more stress on our team to try and recover from them.

I think Pouliot is going to be stuck around until Edler returns. Biega might play with a bit more energy, but the defense isn't going to improve by swapping in a bottom pairing dman.

I think the "energy" guys are getting a bit worn out. Without Sutter and Beagle, we simply aren't gaining enough possession and are chasing a lot of the game which is exhausting for the guys that hustle all game.

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

That is because there is not the firepower to play that way... and the team is getting tired.

If first thought is to dump and 3rd thought is to chase, guess what you aren’t even using the fire power you do have... saying we don’t have any firepower is clearly not true

1 hour ago, Brovat said:

I’m starting to think I watch totally different games from the crew that piles into the PGT after a loss. 

This is hilarious. 

There are some that wait for losses so they can bitch and moan about everything. They sometimes try after wins too, but they are overtaken quickly by the more positive spirit.

Archived