The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Rangers | Nov. 12, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

The boys played a solid road game, close game that could’ve gone either way. We need to bury the chances we get to give ourselves some breathing room. 

A loss is a loss but this year even the losses are enjoyable 

I’ll take double post and crossbar losses any day over what we were seeing the last few years 

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

I like how we play more or less but two things.

1) we gotta now have so high expectations our record isn’t sustainable with a starting goalies save percentage like that and are u guys actually counting on birtanen and eriksson to be secondary scorers enough to make the playoffs I mean come on we’ll be eaten alive out hope is to make a push land some skilled Ufas and have prospects develop into scorers like dahlin gaudette goldobin whoever even virtanen i guess

so we gotta be happy with what we got were in the way up but we’re just not ready for playoffs IMHO not with this defense goaltending and secondary scoring we have a legit first line tho and that’s where it starts

2) Travis green I know everyone loves him and I like him too but he complains waaaaaay too much after each call! I mean come on. I noticed this last year but he foes it too often and I think the officials are going to get tired of it after me awhile he forwent want to be a crybaby reputation he’s always shaking his head after each call like just cool it man not every call against us is the worst thing to ever have happened usually we kill it off anyway

Virtanen and Eriksson should be fine secondary scoring when the primary scoring in Boeser and Baertschi return which will open up Goldobin and Pettersson more as well.

I'm not sure you'll find many coaches who don't complain after calls. He really only complains on the soft calls or non calls and if he didn't do so, the fanbase would be all over him for not having enough passion or whatever.

Lots of overreactions to a pretty standard road game loss, as usual.

People forget we all expected to be a losing team this season

And despite an unbelievably bad streak of injuries to 5, five, FIVE extremely important players we have a winning record.

And dudes wanna dump on Goldy because he's a work in progress, or Leiper because he's working so hard his brain turns off, or Pouliot for looking more like poutine than a PP1 Dman.. But whatever. I thought we were expecting that stuff?

The tank commanders now attack players for being young and inexperienced, and point to them as reason the team lost when two months ago they were bemoaning bringing in Beagle, Roussel  and Schaller..

Whatever

Can you believe we got Petey? Every shift he does some super sneaky, genius level $&!#. A legit franchise, (potentially "generational") player.

1 hour ago, canuckleheads fan said:

And I'm seeing the opposite. There was a cycle in the slot in the second period where Petey gave it to Goldie who passed it to Jake, Petey flashed to the middle and was open for a pass but Jake dropped it back to the point, end of cycle and opportunity. Jake is a boat anchor on that line. Petey and Goldie (who I see is unfortunately becoming a CDC whipping boy) have really high hockey IQ and are getting better and better at finding each other in quiet spots, but Jake doesn't think or see the game like them. As long as he's a dump and chase or transition guy he's good, but he's not YET ready to play with these two. I think he'd be good with Bo because Bo is a transition player who does his damage on the rush but doesn't cycle that well. It's the kind of game Jake excels at. Goldie continues to have his lapses, but I thought he was the teams second best offensive player by far.

Virtanen has had a couple of games with them. I don't disagree that Virtanen doesn't have the same offensive mentality as those two, but he could use more time to get used to the way they play. Perhaps their offensive instincts will start rubbing off on Virtanen. What Virtanen needs to do right now is not expect to be on the same page as them right away and try to play their game, but instead should be hard on the forecheck and create time and space for Goldy and Pettersson to work their magic, plus be ready for rebounds and expect the unexpected passes. The reason Eriksson has been effective on that line is because he does the things I suggest Virtanen does, but Virtanen would add an element of speed and more physicality.

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Just because we had a decent first four weeks doesent mean were now a competitive team and don’t talk about division it’s the worst division in the nhlX no one wants to grab hold of it we’ve lost three of our last four the sharks Nd Karlsson choke flames can’t stop letting in goals vegad la ducks all suck coyote inconsistent and it ready and the oilers win four lose four we are team of the future though we’ve won ten times in 19 games I don’t know about you but that’s average 

Average for the Canucks is losing by or not being able to score. This team has not been average at all this year. They are 4 points out of 8 so far and should be maybe a solid 5 if they the young injured team didn't blow a two goal lead. They will be a play-off team as long as Elias stays healthy. They have better hockey ahead of them.

21 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Virtanen has had a couple of games with them. I don't disagree that Virtanen doesn't have the same offensive mentality as those two, but he could use more time to get used to the way they play. Perhaps their offensive instincts will start rubbing off on Virtanen. What Virtanen needs to do right now is not expect to be on the same page as them right away and try to play their game, but instead should be hard on the forecheck and create time and space for Goldy and Pettersson to work their magic, plus be ready for rebounds and expect the unexpected passes. The reason Eriksson has been effective on that line is because he does the things I suggest Virtanen does, but Virtanen would add an element of speed and more physicality.

Ya I don’t mind this experiment.  I think it’s part reward to Jake and development strategy rolled into one.

Hard not to love what we are seeing! Sure we have injuries, and many of the players have stepped up! Goldy has to quit pretending he is EP. Start shooting and quite getting fancy. Same with Pouli… get the puck to EP when you first think you should, its that little delay that's screwing everything up. How many times has EP had to take a bad pass and almost stop to find it before he gets moving again. Simple Joulevi would solve some of that! As will Edler when he gets back. Stetcher you don't need to skate the puck when EP is out there. Just get him the puck before he circles back ! The defense we have are sucking the energy out of the game with very poor passing and un timely rushes!

3 hours ago, FijianCanuck said:

Just unfortunate tonight. Goldy and Pouliot driving me nuts. Bring on the islanders! We can't use being tired as an excuse, rangers played their 3rd in 4 nights and beat us. 

Yep.

True...but they are not playing 3 time zones away from home on a 6 game road stand, with half their team out...

2 hours ago, coolboarder said:

What we need is a new PP strategy. It hasn't been working for PP1 unit since first few games of the season and we're in drought.   PP2 did get a couple from two games ago in Boston.   Newell Brown is not adjusting to his PP.   I thought he might be a good PP coach but it's that bad even with EP.   No adjustment to the power play set-up or even a right type of personnel on that unit.

Anytime you have 2 players like Pouliot and Goldobin coughing up pucks and not doing enough well you're going to struggle and the 2 of them just aren't on the same page of the other 3 and holding them all back.

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

And despite an unbelievably bad streak of injuries to 5, five, FIVE extremely important players we have a winning record.

And dudes wanna dump on Goldy because he's a work in progress, or Leiper because he's working so hard his brain turns off, or Pouliot for looking more like poutine than a PP1 Dman.. But whatever. I thought we were expecting that stuff?

The tank commanders now attack players for being young and inexperienced, and point to them as reason the team lost when two months ago they were bemoaning bringing in Beagle, Roussel  and Schaller..

Whatever

Can you believe we got Petey? Every shift he does some super sneaky, genius level $&!#. A legit franchise, (potentially "generational") player.

its the younger posters whinning about the younger players ,and the older posters with the voice of reason (somewhat) defending the situation , that being older players injured and defending the younger player's doing everything that realistically can be expected of them,  the EA video game syndrome ,1 or 2 bad games trade em!  :picard:

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No. Goldie is a disaster recently. He gives the puck away so many times per game in dangerous areas that he may as well as play for the opposition team. I am done with goldy. Nice try in picking one shift where you feel Virt did not do well.  I see 10 of those shifts a game for goldy. He needs to sit.

Lol, you type that like your opinion means something to somebody other than you.

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

well hard to know how to respond to this

are you watching this team .. the current vancouver canucks

not past team versions that clearly created long standing unhappiness for you

you understand this current team has a winning record?

you say it has not beaten a non playoff team

which means their wins are all against play off quality teams... and this is a bad thing in your eyes??

we have lost our 2 quality defensive center men... sutter and beagle

our best dman from last season who was playing very well this season ... edler

out best player from last year has been banged up and finally rested... boeser

our best left winger from last season had his head knocked and is out too .. baer

this current team still has a winning record

last years team faltered badly when key injuries occurred

this team appears to be different

can you see that ?

i think on these boards

people end up being more glass half empty people or glass half full type people

and that colours how they view the team and how they post

both view points contain elements of bias

but i know which i prefer

one more thing

isn't this team fun to watch this season

remember the boston game . .damn unexpected outcome

even more.. remember the avs game... what a gunslinger contest, back and forth

ep40 showed all his skills and talent

this is an entertaining team compared to teams of the past few years

things are looking up

there will be some set backs as well

the team is winning

you doubt that can continue

i like ep40 and the change in attitude he has brought to this team

i think the winning can continue

it might not.. but i'm not writing this current team off yet

they have exceeded my expectations and i won't sell them short

I will agree this team s fun to watch but when you say this team is different, yeah it is in th change of the guard but you know what? I heard last year with the emergence of Boeser when we started 6-3 “this years team is different” green coaches such a better system

and everyone wasn’t partying when we were 7-4 and guess what happened.

yeah we’re 10-7-2,, if we are five or so games above five hundred at Christmas I’ll be more of a believer. If we’re at Valentine’s Day even just a few games over .500 like we are now illl believe fully even tho there’s still the stretch drive the final two months to go which our the hardest.

i can get behind this team but I don’t want to get delusional

and sugar coat everything.

on paper in goal and on defense and he’ll evennip front we do not have the depth to battle with the best teams in this league. You can say how we’re winning games even tho we’ve lost three of four and losing to bad teams is as bad as beating good teams sndnill srengladd half full

i was even the one who said and talked about our bright future.

i just think of people think we’re going straight into eh playoffs one year afte the Sedins leave with no transition period we’re folling ourselves. We don’t have the tram on paper to sustain. This. Burke and other tv personalities said it everyone has said it and I fully believe what they’re saying. I don’t disagree I want them to be wrong but I doubt they will be. I’m also a buffalo fan so I like teams that make me suffer but you know what you said about Pettersen s attitude as if he won’t let us fail somehow? It doesent work like that because one he’s 18 and two Eichel came into the league and with no help has140 in his last 144 and four shy of 200 in 225 games but he can’t dk it alone. He’s yet to go into the playoffs and he’s the best forward on the sabres in almost thirty years. See this isn’t basketball where your str is always out there forward stars are only on the ice 1-3 of a game so for 2.3 of a game your team go get it done. I don’t think outside our top guys we have a team that’s for 2/3 can get this done u know!? I think Matthews making it in his first year cooled people Matthews also had the help of Marner nylanderrnand a starting goalie Anderson all joining that team not too mention Babcock. And the pieces they already had and they just squeezed into the last spot and lost in six. So that’s why I think Pettersen and Boeser Stent enough yet dude at least not right none

yeah we’ve done way better then expected and I love it I’m just saying we will not make the playoffs this year. It’s just not going to happen. I can hope for it and I don’t wanna tank because that doesent guarantee Hughes anyway but I just think we will finish around .500 which as long as we’re entertaining omg is fine with me as long as we show steady direction forward whild

beong fun to watch. Sorry for typos in my home typing fast and it has auto text. 

nywau my stance on this trsm

hsd nothing to do with this forum being negative these opinions of mind if my is . I even if we have s grest

month I’ll be more of a believer I just can’t see this team making a run it needs to help that’d all things take time 

6 minutes ago, Nice guy eddy said:

I think our div isn’t the best , nuckers got a good shot at taking it, considering the way they’ve been playing,controlling games when there not even in the game ,also there doing this really short handed so who knows when guys start coming back

Yeah but teams are just getting their systems and chemistry together in the first month and there a lot of inter conference play and unfamiliarity it’s why we always have good first months.

i want us too but like I said above this isn’t basketball our star players are only on the ice for 1/3 a game so that means for 2/3 a game people other then Boeser Pettersen and horvag have to beat all the other teams in this league enough to make it.

we have a great future I think we’ll be in the race this is a fun team this year we should all cheer them in  just don’t think we should expect anything and look at ot as if we get in it’s a bonus I don’t want everyone bashing the team if they don’t make it after they look like they’ll make it.

so just cheer hope but don’t expect is my. Advice. I think the division sucks right now but as time goes on oilers or flames or ducks or sharks or coyotes someone eill hey it tigether. I think there will be one or two years of no playoffs post Sedins before we make it but I hope I’m wrong 

2 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Ugh.

25 our of 31 teams have a winning record in this nhl with the three point game. Every team looks good this way.

we have lost to every non playoff team from last year except floridA.

our future looks great but our goaltending defense and secondary scoring is awfulmkr will

be by the time Xmas hetdnhere and thrrre is no way no matter how bad our vision is that we our making the playoffs best not get your hopes up we’ve won ten out of 19 and don’t have particularly great stars team wise what team could we honestly hang with in the playoffs I mean think about it? The presidents trophy teams couldn’t even win in the playoffs we i always have a good October and now November is here and we’re crashing down to earth with losses to buffalo Detroit and fhe Rangers.

yoy can’t look at our roster as it is now and actually expect we’re making it are -at this rate three teams will make it in pacific sharks for sure even if Karlsson sucks maybe ducks or coyotes and mYbe oilers or flames or maybe both of either. I think Vegas and la are toast like us it’s been fun while it lasted we have promise 

It’s so awful we’re one ofthe highest scoring teams in the nhl this year. You literally lost all credibility right there. We have injuries, but we’re still fighting and still first in the division. Stop with the harsh pessimism, it’s really killing the vibe

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Whatever

Thanks Lucky.... 

It’s as I said after the SO loss in Buffalo, this team is becoming victim of its own success. 

The team if full of boderline NHL’ers and young players filling in for all the established regulars, yet people are now unhappy that miracles isn’t a daily thing. 

I hope the club stays the course for at least half the season, if not the entire season, before we start cutting off the youngsters brought in. 

I hope that Dahlen and Juolivi gets to stay with the Comets for the whole season, so we don’t screw them up like with Jake. Don’t see the point of bringing them up, if we are just going to be $&!#ting all over them like we are with Goldy, Poliot, Motte and Leipsic. These players may not make it, and may only be place holders, but if the likes of Hansen, Burrows, (and to some extend Jake) have learnt us anything, it is some people take longer than others to figure it out. 

I trust management to make the right calls in time. 

For those, whos unhappy about our defence, dare I say there were a reason why our first two picks were D men in the last draft, so no huge surprises there. 

Let them develop for better or worse...

Archived