The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Adam Clendening

8 minutes ago, smokes said:

This trade is text book on why giving up good prospects for a band aid is never a good idea.

I don't think it was a "band aid". I think they genuinely might have thought he could be a player. I agree with you that these type of trades, moving picks and prospects for rejects from other organizations rarely works out.

1 hour ago, smokes said:

This trade is text book on why giving up good prospects for a band aid is never a good idea.

At the time of the trade, Benning said that Forsling and Clendenning would end up as similar players.  Up until now that has held true -- both are borderline NHLers.  He chose the latter because he was more ready, and to fill that need at the time.

1 hour ago, smokes said:

ftfy

The complaining about Forsling hasn't quite reached peak-Corrado, but it was close for a while there.  

I wouldn't call him a 'good prospect'. He's borderline. He's Edler without the size, shot or as much skill and while its nice to have more prospects he'd be behind Juolevi, Sautner and Breisbois. 

1 hour ago, BlastPast said:

Clendening was trending very well and couldn't quite crack a very good Chicago team at the time of the deal.  Unfortunately didn't pan out , life goes on. 

And now Forsling is cracking a not so good Chicago team. Looking forward to Quinn making Gustav look silly.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And now Forsling is barely cracking a not so good Chicago team. Looking forward to Quinn making Gustav look silly.

meh, sometimes these lower-level deals don't work out. This one didn't, Motte did. Leipsic might. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

meh, sometimes these lower-level deals don't work out. This one didn't, Motte did. Leipsic might. 

Yeah, I could care less about Gustav Forsling. Not every trade works out. Most of Benning's have though. I wonder what kind of hair-trigger some fans must have when they lose their minds over trade like this. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah, I could care less about Gustav Forsling. Not every trade works out. Most of Benning's have though. I wonder what kind of hair-trigger some fans must have when they lose their minds over trade like this. 

gif-mettre-feu-ordinateur.jpg.df6357f832a9aeeeeaccac42961bc497.jpg

1 hour ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

There was no reason to trade Forsling at the time, but I’m not shook... it’s not like Forsling takes a roster spot from anyone on our top 4

Forsling would have made Pouliot expendable and he would have been an upgrade on him.

But it doesn't matter, Blackhawks are in rough shape and Forsling isn't a game changer.

Not that surprising that Clendening was in tough to earn minutes in Columbus.

One of the best young bluelines in hockey

Ryan Murray Seth Jones

Nutivaara David Savard

Werenski Scott Harrington

with an excellent young Gabriel Carlsson in the 7 spot.

In any event, Pittsburgh wanted Clendening in the Sutter deal - Benning recovered the value he gave up to acquire him.   Adding Clendening to that deal to land Sutter is a no brainer.

Benning taking a look at Clendening was understandable - this was a young D that scored over 100 pts in his first two seasons in the AHL.

I agree with the comment that it was his skating that limited him - his lateral movement is not great, something he didn't seem to improve enough (Pedan likewise, but again, that didn't stop Pittsburgh from wanting Pedan - who I'd move with a 4th round pick for Pouliot every time - and would still take that risk if it were a 3rd instead of Pedan).

Clendening, Pedan, Forsling = not players that were going to impact the future of the franchise - whereas Sutter certainly will, and Pouliot could very well.

55 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ftfy

The complaining about Forsling hasn't quite reached peak-Corrado, but it was close for a while there.  

I wouldn't call him a 'good prospect'. He's borderline. He's Edler without the size, shot or as much skill and while its nice to have more prospects he'd be behind Juolevi, Sautner and Breisbois. 

wasn't Clendenning a key figure in the Sutter trade?

Archived