The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Islanders | Nov. 13, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

Just a quick note:

1. injuries.  Best defensemen and best scoring forward:  out.  support players out.

2. EP: In the Swedish Elite League he was about a point per game player.  Expect that from him here.  Which is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.  And he could have seasons like HS and DS where he exceeds that level.  I think expectations were a bit high, and a rookie year - and the next few - are when you learn a ton about the game at the NHL level - how to deal with what the opposition throws at you, which is more advanced than what EP has seen in the Swedish League.  Expect him to take steps over the next few years like Horvat has done over the last few years.  Time.

3. First team to play 20 games.

4. Fatigue - young players aren't really ready to play so many games in such a short time.

So I don't think anyone is unhappy with how things are going, but this is a team barely removed from a top lottery pick - and don't be surprised if we have one again, but even if we do we can all see where this team is going and shouldn't be too worried about it.  I'm more worried about cap space than anything else, and we'll see how that is handled in the next few years so I don't want to bring that up for debate again.  

Anyways, the team is competitive, and it is super encouraging.  But expect them to compete for a playoff spot this year.  And expect our drafting to focus more on defense over the next few years.  So the realistic window to start really competing (aka realistic chance to win a cup) is at least a few years away as more young players get in the lineup and the team learns and comes together.  

/superfluous

/saiditalready

/hi

/peace

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

The bad starts kill us though. It is never the same game when you are trying to catch up. I'm sick of the guy. No1 priority a goalie who at least doesn't make so many momentum killing blunders.

Yeah he was terrible at that to start the season. 

I hope Demko works out but our goaltending future looks bleak. 

Totally down for splashing the cash on a top notch goalie.

It's day after the loss to NYI

Hope everyone has calmed down a bit. 

Boys are playing hard and that's all we should ask for. 

I gotta say I'm disappointed with one poster who is particularly hard on EP40. 

Usually I read most comments on PGT. And it was disappointing to read those comment from this poster.

EP is the best thing to happen here since Bure. Give the kid a break. 

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

It's day after the loss to NYI

Hope everyone has calmed down a bit. 

Boys are playing hard and that's all we should ask for. 

I gotta say I'm disappointed with one poster who is particularly hard on EP40

Usually I read most comments on PGT. And it was disappointing to read those comment from this poster.

EP is the best thing to happen here since Bure. Give the kid a break. 

Haven't been here but, if that's the case, very disappointing.  The what have you done for me lately's that don't look back far enough.  Or, keep things in perspective.  If he'd just get all the highlight goals all the time...   No one does that.  

Plus, he is so committed to winning on every inch of the ice, not just in front of the net.  This kid is special and those who don't see it are the ones who needn't watch the games, but scan the highlights.   That's what they take away from it but there's a lot of other stuff that happens worth watching for.

EP is also the type who'll likely be hard on himself.  There is no need for anyone to slam this kid.  He's given us a whole lot to be excited about and will for some time.   There isn't much to criticize about his game, so anyone doing so is likely setting the bar at...perfection.  

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Yes MSG because they have so many things happening there and Barclays was so bad their own players complained and the NHLPA I think, they did a minimum fix to it and they have many events also.

It's too bad the Canucks had to play on bad ice but the teams that they played those nights got to play on much better ice. :wacko:

Edit: looks like NUCKER67 beat me to a response lol.

Watched the game late last night.

Canucks looked like a tired team out there, especially by the third period, but who can blame them really? 

The schedule's been tough, the roster is banged up.

That kick in goal... Come on. Really? That's one of my favorite screw jobs in NHL history. Legendary stupidity from the tools in Toronto on that one. Derpity derpadoo

On to the next one. Hope the boys got to sleep in today

40 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

I've had it with him. Markstrom is a well-below average starter and maybe an average backup. 

They were just talking about it on the radio a few minutes ago. Last year Markstrom went on a run of games toward the end of the season where he was on a "hot streak". His save percentage over that "hot streak" was .921. That's fairly average for most starters but for Markstrom that's hot. He sucks.

I just dont understand why Green wont give Bachman a game here or there. I literally dont think he could do much worse than our "starter".

Last year Cloutier was explaining that there was a lot that went into the decision such as how they were at practice, mental state, fatigue but also type of opponents and also if one of them is running hot.  It's decided the night before the game.  It sounded like he had a lot of input in the decision because he's the one that would know.  Green has to sign off and can obviously overrule him but it's Clark that would know who to play.

Pettersson misses Boeser, or any real quality top 6 forwards really. Leipsic and Goldobin are skilled, but also inexperienced and they make a lot of costly mistakes. Pouliot also has some skills, but he makes terrible mistakes at times. I think all 3 should end up back in Utica (or the press box) once the injured return. Same with Gaudette. He'll be very good one day, but he needs more development time in Utica.

Well, what were we expecting? Canucks were supposed to struggle this year and 3 losses in a row now (1 assist from EP in those games). Canucks are just unlucky when it comes to injuries. It's not just injuries either, it's long term injuries to the better players. They've played well, considering.    

Three things, lay off Markstrom. Yes the first goal was a little soft because he wasn't hugging the post, but what an unlikely goal scored by a guy laying on his back. Second goal? Scored by Tanev, no chance, third goal, wide open player, no chance, forth goal kicked in, fifth goal another wide open player. Defensively the team REALLY let Marky down! He also made some really good saves that kept the team in it when it was 3-1 and 3-2. 

Lay off EP40. Yes he's a remarkable talent, but he is obviously the team's top scoring threat night after night which means he's seeing the other team's best defenders every night. That's a change, because at the start of the season Bo's line drew those matchups. This is also the most games and travel in a compressed period he's ever played and it's the NHL a much heavier more physical league than than the SEL. He's likely to be fatigued because Travis is playing him a bunch and other teams are playing him more physically, leaning on him and hitting him every chance they get. He looks tired to me. He'll be lucky to finish at a point per game pace. It would really help to get Baer and Brock back to spread the scoring out to a second line.

Bo looks horrible, he looks exhausted to me. Travis needs to start trusting other centers to take defensive zone faceoffs or Bo won't finish the season.

48 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Great post Deb.  

Well the poster I'm talking about I didn't reply to because I felt like he was frustrated, I also felt he might be trolling but I might be wrong.  

When Gretzky him self compared EPs game to his then I feel no one else should question the kids game. 

He's special and the whole hockey world knows it.  

It's just bothering me.  That's all.  The kid turned 20 yesterday. He's playing with line mates who aren't up to par.  We have injuries and on a very long east coast road trip.  

I feel like critisism should be held at least until EP has someone proper to play with.  That's all.  

I'm disappointed.  

And you know as well as anyone Deb.  I call a spade a spade. I am all for the rebuild.  But I can't believe posters are expecting the world from a kid who made hockey in vancouver the biggest topic in this young NHL season so far.  I mean all the media and greatest players ever to play the game are tslokg about him.

Edit. I feel like EP has zero reason to be hard on himself  he's been the best player on both ends of the ice. He's a gem. And anyone who's been a hockey fan for a long time  (4 plus decades ) like me .. they know a gem when they see a gem. 

I think if yo look through this thread, Dr Crossbar is the one poster making comments that you are taking exception to. BUt the good Dr has repeated theyself many times

3 minutes ago, dukeofcanuck said:

I haven't read all the posts but if someone is bad mouthing EP that's just ridiculous. The media should be to blame for hyping him up like the next great one. He's a great player but my god the expectations being put on him were getting out of control. 

I agree with this. Part of the problem is the media and fans who have put EP on such a high pedestal, any off shift or game he has is magnified. Not fair, especially for a young guy in his first 20 NHL games. He is (or will be) the best Canucks player. He's on another level though, and his line mates matter. It's obvious to me that Goldobin isn't good enough to anticipate where to be when to shoot or pass, etc. He's a very skilled player, but not as smart a player as EP. Pettersson with Boeser was gold, and I'm really looking forward to seeing that again. One good thing is the Canucks are (hopefully) getting the major injuries and the east coast roads trips over with early. Maybe once the injured return and the schedule is more favourable, they'll start being hard to play against and win again.

I don't see how anyone can be hard on Pettersson. He's trying to do everything well out there, and he is succeeding for the most part. It's also probably very difficult being new to NHL ice and the tough road trips they've had so far. But knowing of Pettersson's determination, he'll get up to speed quick, and after some rest, he'll dazzle again.   

I think it was reasonable to expect a slowdown in the Canucks' performance so yesterday's loss is neither surprising or concerning.  Everyone's been playing well above their averages which has been great with some players also showing that underlying strengths were for real (e.g. Hutton).

I'm not sure what the criticism is with Markstrom.  Most nights Markstrom has been playing well enough to keep the Canucks in it.  In the really high-scoring games, both teams generally gave up a lot of chances.  He's been shouldering the entire load since Nilsson went down with injury and I think the general consensus has been that Markstrom isn't quite durable or consistent enough to play the long stretches that #1's are generally expected to play.  It's not that Markstrom is bad but at this point in his career, one can still hope for him to become a #1 but he's most likely going to be a good #1A/B.  It was actually more surprising to me that the Canucks didn't play Bachman.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Last year Cloutier was explaining that there was a lot that went into the decision such as how they were at practice, mental state, fatigue but also type of opponents and also if one of them is running hot.  It's decided the night before the game.  It sounded like he had a lot of input in the decision because he's the one that would know.  Green has to sign off and can obviously overrule him but it's Clark that would know who to play.

Well that is staring to sound like "too many cooks".

Marky has played the most successive games of his career, probably in the shortest span, (not sure but I'd guess), played the night before, lost the night before, didn't practice between games, Nilsson was running hot, not Marky. Bachman hasn't played in over 2 weeks, he is not going to be "running hot". About the only answers are Bachman sucked in his last practice (which shouldn't matter in a back2back, starter tired situation) or Green has no faith in Bach. 

Non existent Power Play!  Yes, we got one goal last night but we do not command the offensive zone with the point men fumbling the passes and not being able to put the puck on the net.  Give Stetcher and Hutton a try.  What do we have to lose?  And our defense is so bad.  One game one guy plays decently, the others stink.  The next game it is another guy and the rest stink.  No one can consistently put games together on the back end.  

3 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Non existent Power Play!  Yes, we got one goal last night but we do not command the offensive zone with the point men fumbling the passes and not being able to put the puck on the net.  Give Stetcher and Hutton a try.  What do we have to lose?  And our defense is so bad.  One game one guy plays decently, the others stink.  The next game it is another guy and the rest stink.  No one can consistently put games together on the back end.  

That's what happens when you're missing a top dman and 2 top 6 forwards all of which eat up a lot of PP time...

Archived