The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calgary Rejects 2026 Winter Olympics in Plebisite

DonLever

From Globe and Mail:

Calgary’s Olympic bid appears to be over as 56 per cent of voters rejected the city’s pursuit of the 2026 Winter Games in a plebiscite held only two weeks after a public funding deal was struck.

The results of the vote, which saw more than 304,000 ballots cast, reflected weeks of publicly-aired concerns that Calgary’s battered economy can’t afford the multi-billion-dollar cost of staging the massive event. Despite an all-out effort by the Yes side, which employed an advertising blitz and robocalls to voters, the Stampede city rejected the promise that the Olympics could lift Calgary out of its economic funk.

While the results of Tuesday’s vote are not binding and Calgary council has the final say, the vote is a decisive move in the city’s Olympic bid. A successful plebiscite in which a majority of 50 per cent plus one vote supports the bid was a condition of Alberta’s support.

While council and Mayor Naheed Nenshi had promised Calgarians they would see a funding deal for the Games at least 30 days before the plebiscite, a final agreement between the three orders of government was not reached until late October.

The public is expected to spend $2.875-billion on the Games if Calgary is chosen as host: $1.45-billion from the federal government and $700-million from Alberta. Calgary has been asked to put forward $390-million, along with a $200-million contingency fund. The cost of the Games would tie up most of Calgary’s investment budget for the next decade, leading a majority of the council to vote two weeks ago against making a bid — the two-thirds threshold needed to cancel the plebiscite was not reached.

6 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

If they had voted yes, there's a good chance some events wouldn't have been held in Whistler again. We already have the facilities so the new cost to us would be minimal compared to 2010 and we'd get the tourism again.

No way would they have shared it with BC after the pipeline dispute.  I'm 100% in favour of hosting again at some point in my lifetime though.  Got some great infrastructure out of it and it truly was an amazing experience.

50 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

No way would they have shared it with BC after the pipeline dispute.  I'm 100% in favour of hosting again at some point in my lifetime though.  Got some great infrastructure out of it and it truly was an amazing experience.

Well that's Calgary's/Alberta's fault then. If they know the population has concerns about cost, and they wouldn't go for a logical cost cutting measure, then that's poor management on their part.

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

If they had voted yes, there's a good chance some events would've been held in Whistler again. We already have the facilities so the new cost to us would be minimal compared to 2010 and we'd get the tourism again.

EDIT: Typo

We don't need it. The resort is as busy as ever. It was also to have only been ski jumping. 

The 2010 games were a blast but I'm glad our taxes aren't being spent here. 

I lived in Calgary in 1988 and the city really embraced the Olympics and it was a great time. The Olympics defined a generation in Calgary. I am surprised they voted no, thrilled but surprised.

the corruption and arrogance of the IOC knows no bounds. I do not support public money being used for private professional sports entities.  I think it should be illegal to spend public money on sports facilities for professional teams. 

I can understand why Calgary would be upset that Edmonton got such a deal on their stadium and Calgary can’t but at some point the answer has to be no.

Good for the people of Calgary, now if they could just end that stupid animal torture festival the city might be liveable, well maybe not but it would be a step in the right direction. 

I think Calgarians will come to see this as a mistake. The fed's were willing to kick in 1.4 billion, the province 700 million for badly needed facility upgrades in Calgary. Not to mention all the lost revenue from tourism in Calgary, Canmore and Banff. It was never going to be cheaper to upgrade the city's sports infrastructure but hey, at least saying "no" feels good right? 

9 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

We don't need it. The resort is as busy as ever. It was also to have only been ski jumping. 

The 2010 games were a blast but I'm glad our taxes aren't being spent here. 

Yeah much as I liked how "Own the Podium" was successful (we won the most gold medals of any other country), tough to spend all those millions (and millions) of taxpayer dollars when you see all the homeless around in the city.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think Calgarians will come to see this as a mistake. The fed's were willing to kick in 1.4 billion, the province 700 million for badly needed facility upgrades in Calgary. Not to mention all the lost revenue from tourism in Calgary, Canmore and Banff. It was never going to be cheaper to upgrade the city's sports infrastructure but hey, at least saying "no" feels good right? 

Wow over $2 billion of tax payer money so a few elites can party for 2 weeks. No thanks.

Archived