The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL has some explaining to do

ebey11

"THE RULING ON THE ICE IS:  IT 'S A TUESDAY AND WE JUST ATE A BUNCHA HOT DOGS AND NEED A NAP PLUS, ALSO, THE WIND IS A LITTLE GUSTY OUTSIDE AND SOMEONE IN THE CROWD IS WEARING PURPLE, SO....GOOD GOAL"

Also:  Is there a hall of fame we can check ourselves into?

48 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

lets not distract from the fact that tom wilson scored, then was screwed out of a goal, for an interference that happened AFTER the puck was already in the net

The goal counted last night - they didn't pull it back.  

1 minute ago, Baer. said:

Doesn't make a difference since Canucks lost by 3 goals and whether it was allowed or not does not matter. The team played terrible.

I agree to some degree, however, momentum can be shifted in situations like this.  Probably matters little, but it still doesn't excuse it.

38 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Doesn't make a difference since Canucks lost by 3 goals and whether it was allowed or not does not matter. The team played terrible.

at that point in the game it was still just a 3-2 game. It was a back breaker of a goal that should of been disallowed

I can't believe people are still surprised by the lack of any fluidity in these calls. 

It's been  clear for years that video judges, and by extension, the league are incompetent when it comes to following the rules that they set for the game. It's like the officials make calls based on the type of day the're having and who they feel like hating on on any given day.

It makes them look pretty stupid when they can look at a video over and over, frame by frame and still get the call wrong.

The sad thing is, video replay is one of the smaller reasons the NHL has lost it's integrity as a fair sport.

1 hour ago, Kushman said:

at that point in the game it was still just a 3-2 game. It was a back breaker of a goal that should of been disallowed

Again would not have mattered since they ended up giving another goal up. If it was the game winner it would matter more. League will do nothing so why complain.

9 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Again would not have mattered since they ended up giving another goal up. If it was the game winner it would matter more. League will do nothing so why complain.

you do realize that teams play different when its only a 1 goal game? Not to mention the demoralization that happens to the team trailing by 1 when they give up another. Momentum shifts. Have you ever played any team sports? A  team down by 1 has more determination to try and come back, whereas giving up a second goal can be the back breaker that seals the game. In this case a goal that should of been disallowed because it was an obvious kick, was what broke the back of a tired Canucks team.  

18 minutes ago, Baer. said:

You need to read the responses.  It just isn't this simple....

And some say "complaining", some say "discussing".   The board is based on....discussion.

13 minutes ago, Kushman said:

you do realize that teams play different when its only a 1 goal game? Not to mention the demoralization that happens to the team trailing by 1 when they give up another. Momentum shifts. Have you ever played any team sports? A  team down by 1 has more determination to try and come back, whereas giving up a second goal can be the back breaker that seals the game. In this case a goal that should of been disallowed because it was an obvious kick, was what broke the back of a tired Canucks team.  

Don't know why you are getting hostile... You are speaking in hypotheticals. I'm saying it doesn't matter because Canucks would have lost either way. Perhaps players play harder when they are only down one goal as opposed to 2. However, I'm sure NHL players are expected to play at 100% regardless of the score or how much time is left.

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You need to read the responses.  It just isn't this simple....

And some say "complaining", some say "discussing".   The board is based on....discussion.

Exactly. What you may call discussing I may call complaining.

Its game management. The league does not want a Canucks team in the play-offs this year. And it suite revenue when all Canadian teams watch. I watched the Canucks ,at least the last few games come out and dominate and penalties evened up the flow or went against the flow. Its becoming obvious that game management is becoming more like wwf old time wrestling! The league gets away with it because they fan out the hate towards the pacific and then no traction is ever gained. Fans are fans first. So if you hate a team you call it a good goal based on preference! That being said when the tables are turned and the OIlers get poor one sided Officiating in the play-offs people take notice because they have been bad for so long. When the Canucks get poor officiating in the play-offs its called complaining fan syndrome "CFS". The only way to stop this garbage is allow kicking the puck into the net! But wait! How would game management work if they couldn't disallow goals? Linesmen calling the over the glass puck sometimes takes the game out of their hands! I watch a lot of hockey and the refereeing actually gets worse once you watch pro hockey. Yeh mistakes are made. But most games don't look like the games are managed. Maybe if the referees had a stick you would see who they are aiding! Putting the whistle away has never been good for hockey. I actually don't blame the players for suing the owners for not protecting them. I imagine the Sedin's could sue the league for their mistreatment! lol 

38 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Don't know why you are getting hostile... You are speaking in hypotheticals. I'm saying it doesn't matter because Canucks would have lost either way. Perhaps players play harder when they are only down one goal as opposed to 2. However, I'm sure NHL players are expected to play at 100% regardless of the score or how much time is left.

Exactly. What you may call discussing I may call complaining.

Not getting hostile at all. Just trying to explain to you that there's more going on in a game than the scoresheet. Momentum is a real thing whether you're a professional or not, the timing of goals can have a huge effect on the game. They're not just robots playing out there. If you've played any team sport, you'd know what I'm talking about. They might have lost anyways, but we won't know because the refs blew the call. 

13 hours ago, Baggins said:

Simpler said than done. Perhaps you're under thinking it. How do you get consistency on a call that's subject to an opinion of a motion?

They wrote the rule as "distinct kicking motion" to cut out the prior confusion of kicking pucks in. If the guy takes weight off one leg and is moving it to propel a puck in (like the many clips linked and last night's game show), it is a non-goal. Turning your feet, sliding into the puck or it bouncing off of your skates is a good goal. Consistency is what we demand.

Archived