The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tanner Pearson to Penguins for Carl Hagelin

13 minutes ago, Oregon.Duck said:

Pearson > Hagelin. Wut is happening here. Willie just loves trading for older players that produce less I guess.

Medicine Hat connection here or something? :P 

Frees up future money, in the short-term makes the team a bit faster, and gives them a decent rental to flip at the deadline. Makes sense for a team in the Kings' position.

I haven't seen Pearson play enough to have have a solid opinion on him, but I've seen Hagelin quite a lot. Hagelin is very fast, often finds break away chances, good compete level and reliable on D. His finish is ok but his hands not elite in general. No team in the league would mind him on their 3rd line, he's probably a 2nd liner on lots of teams. Also he's been good in the playoffs from what I've seen.

So you know what you'll get from him and I guess the contract makes sense for LA. If Pearson regains his offense and LA gets a good pick at the deadline for Hagelin I guess this could be a win for both teams.

7 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Kings desperately need speed. Hagelin if I recall has some wheels. Pearson has done F all. No real loss even if Hagelin does nothing for em. Lol

Hagelin has done nothing either..I would rather have Pearson only 26, he will score lots playing with Malkin or Crosby.. Pearson will score more then his 24 goals last year now that he is with new team..

16 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Hagelin has done nothing either..I would rather have Pearson only 26, he will score lots playing with Malkin or Crosby.. Pearson will score more then his 24 goals last year now that he is with new team..

Well he wasn't doing that for the Kings so it doesn't matter what he does with Pittsburgh. Lol.

12 minutes ago, wildcam said:

He had 15 goals last year.  He also has 3 years to his deal.  The Kings can't seem to score this year but just 1 assist in 17 games.

Strange move.

First instinct is 'what the hell is L.A. doing?'

Not sure why L.A. does this except to gamble on flipping Hagelin (how good a gamble is that if he produces like his team-mates in L.A.) - or to cap dump Pearson - which I would not do based on an awful 17 games - selling low at an inopportune time.   Rather have the risk of Pearson's contract than the loss of an asset (I personally can't imagine giving them much to rent Hagelin).

On the other hand - Pittsburgh - sure loves to spend their cap space.  Better hope Sprong doesn't break out now - haha - because they already have Guentzel to re-up and a lot of committed cap moving forward throughout that lineup.   But not a bad risk to take - throwing the younger near .5ppg player into the Pens mix....  You have to think if he recovers that kind of production, he's the better asset to flip than Hagelin (if it came to that).

Easier to make the case for Rutherford imo (who is not my favorite GM) - than Blake.  If I were a Kings fan I'd be listening closely to the rationale for this move.

52 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I don’t like this at all for LA.  

Pearson is still developing and can play a better grit game. Great pick up for Pitts. 

The Kings have enough slow skaters who aren't scoring but are gritty... it's about time they started playing hockey in the current era's style.

Agreed with most criticism that Hagelin isn't the best but maybe they'll be getting more plays like this

Archived