The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So why no Gagner

Krzysl

Just curious as to why Gagner isn't getting called up. I get it at the beginning of the season where we didn't have a roster spot for him and wanted to give some young kids a chance. With all the injuries and tough schedule  it would definitely help and he could/would upgrade a couple of positions and give some fresh legs. He could possibly do well enough with EP for the time being until we get some bodys back. Best case scenario Gagner does great and we might be able to trade him by deadline, worst case he sucks and we send him back to minors, maybe he gets picked up from the waivers and if not he is back in the minors. Any thoughts?

1 minute ago, Krzysl said:

Just curious as to why Gagner isn't getting called up. I get it at the beginning of the season where we didn't have a roster spot for him and wanted to give some young kids a chance. With all the injuries and tough schedule  it would definitely help and he could/would upgrade a couple of positions and give some fresh legs. He could possibly do well enough with EP for the time being until we get some bodys back. Best case scenario Gagner does great and we might be able to trade him by deadline, worst case he sucks and we send him back to minors, maybe he gets picked up from the waivers and if not he is back in the minors. Any thoughts?

At this point, Gags would be a cancer in the locker room.  He'll likely stay with the Marlies until (if/when) he can be moved to a NHL team.

Just now, higgyfan said:

At this point, Gags would be a cancer in the locker room.  He'll likely stay with the Marlies until (if/when) he can be moved to a NHL team.

How do you come to this conclusion?

I never liked Gagner.... at all! But he is definitely better then some plugs on are team right now. He also could have something to prove. He also could have some pp help. He could play well enough for the time being with EP. 

1 minute ago, Krzysl said:

I never liked Gagner.... at all! But he is definitely better then some plugs on are team right now. He also could have something to prove. He also could have some pp help. He could play well enough for the time being with EP. 

You may be right that he could improve the situation right now, but he made it clear that he was very POed about being waived, which leaves me to think that there is bad blood between Gags and the Nuks.

Just now, higgyfan said:

You may be right that he could improve the situation right now, but he made it clear that he was very POed about being waived, which leaves me to think that there is bad blood between Gags and the Nuks.

Might be POed but I am sure he would rather play in the NHL and I am sure he is a big boy. Might have something to prove and play to be traded.

Just now, Krzysl said:

Might be POed but I am sure he would rather play in the NHL and I am sure he is a big boy. Might have something to prove and play to be traded.

Perhaps, but the return to waivers would be hanging over his head (with the return of injured players), so it would be hard to withhold his resentment towards the Nuck management (which could spill over into the locker room).  We don't know the whole story behind this situation, but his not being called up as of yet, tells me that they really don't want him back.

I doubt he ever slots back in. It was a tough decision for the team and I’m sure awkward/ unpleasant for Gagner. Bringing him up knowing they would have to send him back down is a situation I’m sure they want to avoid, for all involved. He’s done with the Canucks. Other GMs know him well enough that if there is a trade to be made, it will happen. 

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Such short memories.

Why not re-acquire Megna?  He should come cheap.

Gagner is better then megna..lol you would hope. But cheap or not Gagner is still getting paid no matter what. Like I said before I dislike Gagner but worth giving him a shot, only positive outcomes can come from the call up. The worst outcome is already in play with Gagner, the worst case scenario is he is back to the minors after terrible play so the situation can't get worse only better for himself and the canucks. 

26 minutes ago, Krzysl said:

Not according to Coach Green

10 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Perhaps, but the return to waivers would be hanging over his head (with the return of injured players), so it would be hard to withhold his resentment towards the Nuck management (which could spill over into the locker room).  We don't know the whole story behind this situation, but his not being called up as of yet, tells me that they really don't want him back.

His wife and kids are still in Vancouver.  He was interviewed by the Toronto Sun and he does hope to earn his way back.

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/demoted-nhler-sam-gagner-doing-his-best-to-enjoy-the-journey-with-marlies

While there is no timeline attached to the Canucks-Marlies loan agreement — and Gagner would love nothing more than a one-way ticket back to Vancouver — the Marlies are happy to be reaping the benefits of a skilled, veteran forward, who by all accounts has been a positive addition on the ice and in the room.

[...]

That time isn’t today, but Gagner knows it could be tomorrow.

“I’ve just got to continue to try to work my way back, and I’m confident that I’ll get back at some point,” said Gagner, who was drafted sixth overall by the Edmonton Oilers in 2007 and has also played for the Coyotes, Flyers and Columbus. “I feel like I’ve got a lot of hockey left. I don’t plan on being done any time soon.”

In the meantime, it’s all about perspective.

“Nothing changes. You come to the rink and try to get better every day. You try and help the team win. You just enjoy the journey,” he said. “When you look at it from an outside perspective it doesn’t look like a positive situation, but I think you can turn anything into a positive situation with the way you frame it. It’s just another opportunity for me to improve my game and find ways to get back to the NHL level and be ready to be a productive guy when I get there.”

9 minutes ago, zapperman said:

I doubt he ever slots back in. It was a tough decision for the team and I’m sure awkward/ unpleasant for Gagner. Bringing him up knowing they would have to send him back down is a situation I’m sure they want to avoid, for all involved. He’s done with the Canucks. Other GMs know him well enough that if there is a trade to be made, it will happen. 

Too many egos in play. Ego is not your amigo. As a pro I am sure Gagner would rather play I'm the nhl. I am sure Benning would love for Gagner to come up and stick it to Benning by playing great hockey. 

I disagree that he'd be an upgrade on anyone in the lineup.

The pump and dump idea is hypothetically a good idea, but it's not how you run a team, desperate to extract a marginal asset out of Gagner - is not a priority.

I'd rather see Goldobin, Leipsic, Gaudetter, and Archibald getting the ice time - whether or not there was the soft soap about Gagner to start the season.

MacEwen, Kero, Boucher = could all play a role if desperate/needed.

Forget Gagner.   Don't need him.  There are other, younger, NHL ready guys to develop.

Archived