The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So why no Gagner

Krzysl

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Gagner's term is one of the few real signing mistakes Benning has made, 3 years was just too long on a marginal player. But moving him out of this lineup was the right move and still is. 

#inconsequential 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

pretty much. There's some lower level consequences like roster space for other TDL trades or signing ELCs or college free agents but slim chance of it being a big issue. 

I just have trouble qualifying something almost entirely inconsequential as a 'mistake'.

He was signed as insurance. Like most insurance, you don't end up using it/getting full value out of it, but boy is it nice to have if you need it.

The only mistake of any real consequence Benning has made, is the Eriksson signing IMO. And even that's not particularly awful considering our cap situation and that he can at least contribute at the NHL level (even if FAR below his pay grade). 

The rest is low level noise for the whiner/brown coloured glasses crowd.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I just have trouble qualifying something almost entirely inconsequential as a 'mistake'.

He was signed as insurance. Like most insurance, you don't end up using it/getting full value out of it, but boy is it nice to have if you need it.

The only mistake of any real consequence Benning has made, is the Eriksson signing IMO. And even that's not particularly awful considering our cap situation and that he can at least contribute at the NHL level (even if FAR below his pay grade). 

The rest is low level noise for the whiner/brown coloured glasses crowd.

yeah, I'm not making a federal case out of it, just a low level thing that would have been a 'nice to have' if Gagner was departing the roster this season instead of next (assuming that makes him tradable this season e.g.,), maybe that turns into an extra late pick or something by being able to go to 50/50 on the roster at the tdl instead of 49/50. Nothing about it will derail the rebuild :P

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

pretty much. There's some lower level consequences like roster space for other TDL trades or signing ELCs or college free agents but slim chance of it being a big issue. 

He is represented by the Bobby Orr group - same agency as McDavid.  His father is a partner there.  There was already some discontent by some agents with how the Canucks allocated pre-season games - Gaunce was mentioned.  It's Scott Rintoul that brought it up and asked Friedman if there was truth to it.  He confirmed but supported the Canucks for just doing their thing and not worrying about it.  Next summer will show whether it matters or not.

1 hour ago, Krzysl said:

Gagner is better then megna..lol you would hope. But cheap or not Gagner is still getting paid no matter what. Like I said before I dislike Gagner but worth giving him a shot, only positive outcomes can come from the call up. The worst outcome is already in play with Gagner, the worst case scenario is he is back to the minors after terrible play so the situation can't get worse only better for himself and the canucks. 

...and in two weeks' time it'll be, "Send Gagner back down, he sucks" all over again.  The team will bring up someone like MacEwen or even Boucher first.  It would take massive injuries and/or nobody left on the farm that's near-ready for them to bring Gagner back, not to mention that call-ups are the last-man up and typically just sit in the pressbox anyway.

There's literally no point, he's done.  Say goodnight and put it to bed.

32 minutes ago, mll said:

He is represented by the Bobby Orr group - same agency as McDavid.  His father is a partner there.  There was already some discontent by some agents with how the Canucks allocated pre-season games - Gaunce was mentioned.  It's Scott Rintoul that brought it up and asked Friedman if there was truth to it.  He confirmed but supported the Canucks for just doing their thing and not worrying about it.  Next summer will show whether it matters or not.

I guess if there's really that much solidarity for not guaranteeing Gagner playing time that it effects future free agent signings, then so be it. Maybe it'll save us from more contracts like this. 

Gagner has never scored more than 18 goals in an NHL season. That's pretty bad for a former 6th OA, and supposed goal scorer.

2006/07 - Gagner plays in 53 games with the Knights (AHL), scoring 35 goals for 118 points. Impressive.

2007/08 to 2017/18 - Gagner's highest goals for one year is 18 and highest points is 50. Below average for a former 6th OA.

2018/19 - Gagner plays in 13 games with the Marlies (AHL), scoring 6 goals for 12 points. Pretty good.

Conclusion: Gagner is a very good AHL player, but not a very good NHL player. 

40 minutes ago, mll said:

Boo frickin' hoo.  Every team does what's best for the TEAM; they owe nothing in regards to ice-time or roster spots to any player, let alone in pre-season.  Unless some specific assurances were made and broken, it's all part of the business.  They got a problem with that, then make like Denis Lemieux.

79e8.gif

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess if there's really that much solidarity for not guaranteeing Gagner playing time that it effects future free agent signings, then so be it. Maybe it'll save us from more contracts like this. 

or it just increases the asking price.

Rintoul/Friedman didn't mention Gagner but iirc Gaunce was given as example.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Well, I doubt the owner finds it inconsequential having to pay Gags 3.5M to score a lot of points and add veteran leadership to the Leaf's farm team.B)  But yeah, other that, it was an inconsequential signing.

51 minutes ago, mll said:

or it just increases the asking price.

Rintoul/Friedman didn't mention Gagner but iirc Gaunce was given as example.

That would be very unprofessional.  If I was one of their clients, I would see that as limiting access to a team that might sign me.

Which begs the questions:

- Is Gags a snowflake(in today's jargon)?

- If he'd been raised in a daycare with a lil'uns fight club, might that have helped?

- Should we just call his NINE Freeken MILLLLLL!!  :^000*+%$$$&&###.@\&%$#!!!!, a thank you to his fam, for the Tanev-tip(way back in 2011)?

- Was he an eastern operated, agent-saboteur, sent to infiltrate our well-run ship, by antagonistic, hostile enemy forces?

Inquiring minds wanna' know!

i thought the whole point of him being loaned to the marlies was to be close to his family...I figured his wife was in TO with a young infant kid or something. If they are back in Van, whats the difference then between utica and toronto?

I am a bit surprised he never got a call up, but his comments he made probably didnt help. But what did Gagner expect...he was waiver fodder almost europe bound only a couple years ago. then Columbus signed him cheap, he succeeded in a limited role and our GM went out and over paid him for his cinderella turn around season.

Archived