The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So why no Gagner

Krzysl

14 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Well, I doubt the owner finds it inconsequential having to pay Gags 3.5M to score a lot of points and add veteran leadership to the Leaf's farm team.B)  But yeah, other that, it was an inconsequential signing.

I'm just fine with Aqulilni spending his money badly :lol: 

1 hour ago, mll said:

or it just increases the asking price.

Rintoul/Friedman didn't mention Gagner but iirc Gaunce was given as example.

I guess anythings possible. But I was being serious, if it helps keep us from signing filler guys for too much money because they have a concern that they might not play? to me thats a good thing. 

18 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That would be very unprofessional.  If I was one of their clients, I would see that as limiting access to a team that might sign me.

Players would know that there is interest but they could agree that there's a risk that this happens so lets ask for more.  

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Players would know that there is interest but they could agree that there's a risk that this happens so lets ask for more.  

Hockey players are generally competitive. They're not going to ask for more just because they might have to fight for their spot. That's how they got to the NHL in the 1st place and the way it should be. Not sure how/why Gagner/his agent forgot that.

Never mind that in the very near future, not only do we not have need for 'filler' UFA's like we did when we signed Gagner but guys might very well be lining up to play with the likes of Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Juolevi and Horvat et al.

It's a non-issue/concern IMO.

24 minutes ago, mll said:

Yeah that Benning and those Canucks -- buncha liars and schemers, deceivers the lot of 'em, sending that NHL star Gagner to the minors just because he lost his roster spot to better players.  They actually hold players accountable for their performance so that's WAY too risky.  I wouldn't trust them at all, let's look elsewhere.  Dubas and Chayka are inexperienced boys and Chiarelli is pure sucker, so let's go check them out.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah that Benning and those Canucks -- buncha liars and schemers, deceivers the lot of 'em, sending that NHL star Gagner to the minors just because he lost his roster spot to better players.  They actually hold players accountable for their performance so that's WAY too risky.  I wouldn't trust them at all, let's look elsewhere.  Dubas and Chayka are inexperienced boys and Chiarelli is pure sucker, so let's go check them out.

Bergevin was talking about that in Montreal.  They often have to offer more to attract players and some just downright refuse to consider Montreal as a destination.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Bergevin was talking about that in Montreal.  They often have to offer more to attract players and some just downright refuse to consider Montreal as a destination.

Bergevin may be as much to blame on that as anything to do with the city.... just saying.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

I disagree that he'd be an upgrade on anyone in the lineup.

The pump and dump idea is hypothetically a good idea, but it's not how you run a team, desperate to extract a marginal asset out of Gagner - is not a priority.

I'd rather see Goldobin, Leipsic, Gaudetter, and Archibald getting the ice time - whether or not there was the soft soap about Gagner to start the season.

MacEwen, Kero, Boucher = could all play a role if desperate/needed.

Forget Gagner.   Don't need him.  There are other, younger, NHL ready guys to develop.

Agreed.

I know Boucher has been injured but I feel like he would make a good injury call up to replace Boeser. Obviously he's no Boeser but his shot is almost on par. With EP setting him up, you know he'd burry a few. Our 1st unit PP has been weak with all these injuries and could use a boost.

Just now, VIC_CITY said:

Agreed.

I know Boucher has been injured but I feel like he would make a good injury call up to replace Boeser. Obviously he's no Boeser but his shot is almost on par. With EP setting him up, you know he'd burry a few. Our 1st unit PP has been weak with all these injuries and could use a boost.

I agree with this.  He’s been good when called up playing with plugs and is having a career year, give him some time on a scoring line and see what he can do when he’s healthy.

Just now, aGENT said:

Bergevin may be as much to blame on that as anything to do with the city.... just saying.

That's true.  There are so many different reasons why players choose or refuse certain destinations.  I don't think the Canucks need to worry but it's just a possibility. 

They got DelZotto and Gagner because no one was offering that kind of money for them.  As the team gets better - options open up.  Vrbata and Eriksson signed in Vancouver because they wanted to play with the Sedins.  Lucic was offered more by Montreal but wanted to play with McDavid and he says it wouldn't have felt right to be a Habs.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Well, I doubt the owner finds it inconsequential having to pay Gags 3.5M to score a lot of points and add veteran leadership to the Leaf's farm team.B)  But yeah, other that, it was an inconsequential signing.

Costs the exact same to have a guy who is actually good enough to play in the NHL making the minimum play instead of Gagner.  I also wouldn't mind having Gagner down on the Marlies where he's showing his teammates how to be lazy, entitled floaters who don't give a flying $@&# about winning.  Making the Leafs' prospects think the way this pylon approaches the game is acceptable is a great way to sabotage Toronto's future.  Veteran leadership is only useful if the player in question can act like a professional.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Gagner has never scored more than 18 goals in an NHL season. That's pretty bad for a former 6th OA, and supposed goal scorer.

2006/07 - Gagner plays in 53 games with the Knights (AHL), scoring 35 goals for 118 points. Impressive.

2007/08 to 2017/18 - Gagner's highest goals for one year is 18 and highest points is 50. Below average for a former 6th OA.

2018/19 - Gagner plays in 13 games with the Marlies (AHL), scoring 6 goals for 12 points. Pretty good.

Conclusion: Gagner is a very good AHL player, but not a very good NHL player. 

433 points in 770 games makes him a “not very good NHL player”? And you’re basing this off the fact he never scored more than 18 goals in a season. Dislike his complacent attitude sure, but to say he didn’t have/doesn’t have a decent NHL career is just wrong. Lol. 

People gotta let go of draft position. It means nothing. Players don’t choose where they get drafted. He has pretty good NHL numbers, had some good seasons. Things just didn’t work out here. Oh well.

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Costs the exact same to have a guy who is actually good enough to play in the NHL making the minimum play instead of Gagner.  I also wouldn't mind having Gagner down on the Marlies where he's showing his teammates how to be lazy, entitled floaters who don't give a flying $@&# about winning.  Making the Leafs' prospects think the way this pylon approaches the game is acceptable is a great way to sabotage Toronto's future.  Veteran leadership is only useful if the player in question can act like a professional.

That's what makes the signing consequential to the owner.  It was a mistake signing a player for 3yrs @ 3.5m whom for whatever reason, couldn't be traded.  Owner stuck with 7M in salary if this goes into next season.

I don't want to see Gags coming back here, but I can't agree with the rest of your post, although it is kind of funny.

Archived